New Skates for Heavier Adult Male Skater | Golden Skate

New Skates for Heavier Adult Male Skater

AtomIG

Spectator
Country
United-States
Hey everyone, I am a 24 year old male recreational skater. I’ve been skating for about two to three years, I’ve nearly got my Lutz and will soon be working on my Axel! Apart from skating, I do powerlifting and plan to compete sometime in the future.

By training for powerlifting, I do see my weight fluctuate throughout the year as I “bulk” and “cut” i.e. there are portions of time I dedicate to gaining weight and then I will later cut weight. Because of this, I’m much heavier than the typical male figure skater. Throughout the year, my weight may be anywhere between 160 lbs (72 kg) and 200+ lbs (91+ kg).

I currently have the Jackson Debut with Matrix Legacy blades which I got when I started learning half-jumps and I pretty quickly broke them in and they’ve been serving me pretty well. The only problem is that I’ve gotten some skin peeling/blisters/bone spurs which I’ve mostly mitigated by wearing one of those padded foot sleeves.

As I get closer to starting to practice for axel and then practicing for doubles, I’ve been looking at getting a new pair of skates, and have been considering Edea Ice Flys, since the skate shop nearest me specializes in Jackson and Edea. Since I live a vegan lifestyle, I would, in general, prefer a boot not made of leather, but if it’s unavoidable then so be it. Looking through previous posts made here, I’ve seen that overbooting into the Ice Flys is generally discouraged, but I’m pretty heavy, so I think that might be fine for the added stability, and I figure I would wear out less stiff boots pretty quickly. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this!

If I was going to stick with Jackson’s, I was considering the Jackson Elite (again, because I’m heavier). However, given the problems I’ve had and the need to wear the sleeves, I don’t know whether to stick with Jackson or not. I would also consider other brands, but I know with certainty that my skate shop would have to order them just so I can try them on, but I’d love to hear suggestions about what skates I should wear if I was considering something like Risport, Riedell, etc. I’m also looking for new blades, and was looking at Gold Seals, Pattern 99, or just rebuying the Matrix Legacy blades, though I do find them a bit hard to spin on, but that may just be me! I’d love your opinions and insight into the boots and blades I should consider! Thanks in advance!

I will of course go to my local skate shop and get fitted. I’m just trying to figure out what my options are prior to actually going to the shop to get fitted, especially since it’s a two hour drive away. I will go with the brand that fits me best, but as I mentioned, the skate shop specializes in Jackson and Edea, and anything else will likely have to be ordered to the store so I can try them on. Being male with bigger feet means they’ll likely not have the boot in store in the appropriate size, so I’d like to know my options before I ask them to order it to try on.

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What's your foot shape like? Toe shape (greek, roman, etc), arch height, and overall shape of foot (heel same width/narrower/wider than toes)?

I would not go to Gold Seal or P99 just yet. Go with Coronation Ace.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm not much help with the boots but second the recommendation for Coronation Ace blades. Absolutely perfect for you now and for your progression. And you will find them much easier to spin on.

AtomIG

Spectator
Country
United-States
What's your foot shape like? Toe shape (greek, roman, etc), arch height, and overall shape of foot (heel same width/narrower/wider than toes)?

I would not go to Gold Seal or P99 just yet. Go with Coronation Ace.
In general, I have more of a Greek toe shape, with a more flat arch, and my heel is definitely smaller than my toes! I think I could definitely see myself getting the Coronation Ace as my next pair of blades! Is the transition from an 8’ rocker to a 7’ rocker a significant change that’s hard to adjust to? I would appreciate if it does help me find the sweet spot easier for spins!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In general, I have more of a Greek toe shape, with a more flat arch, and my heel is definitely smaller than my toes! I think I could definitely see myself getting the Coronation Ace as my next pair of blades! Is the transition from an 8’ rocker to a 7’ rocker a significant change that’s hard to adjust to? I would appreciate if it does help me find the sweet spot easier for spins!
Someone else will answer your boot question as I'm not familiar with what boots would best fit that specific combination. The transition will be weird at first, but spins will be made easier.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Someone else will answer your boot question as I'm not familiar with what boots would best fit that specific combination. The transition will be weird at first, but spins will be made easier.
Graf, Riedell and some Jackson.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
From these brands, do you have any suggestions on the model of boots I should consider? I’m unsure of how heavily I should overboot with my weight. Thanks!
Because of weight. Graf Richmond Special, Riedell Bronze Star, Jackson Premier Fusion 2802 or you may want to look at an Elite 5300. Again, these are not boots I would usually recommend for your skill level, but with your powerlifting and weight changes, when you are on your heavier side, you will need the stiffer than usual for your level boot.

Honestly though, you are the perfect candidate for a semi custom in order to get the stiffness you need.

Also, as far as what you call "the sleeves" I assume you are referring to bunga pads? We all (or most of us) have to wear them, it's a skating thing. You would not want to see my feet and ankles for the many years I've been skating and was competitive.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Throughout the year, my weight may be anywhere between 160 lbs (72 kg) and 200+ lbs (91+ kg).
Just curious: With a 40+ lb weight fluctuation within a year, do you have a noticeable change in your foot shape and size? That is, if you are wearing the same boots and shoes during this period, do they feel looser at your lower limit and tighter at your upper limit?

AtomIG

Spectator
Country
United-States
Just curious: With a 40+ lb weight fluctuation within a year, do you have a noticeable change in your foot shape and size? That is, if you are wearing the same boots and shoes during this period, do they feel looser at your lower limit and tighter at your upper limit?
Oh that’s actually a good question which I’ve never thought about before! I think during this last year, I definitely did feel the difference skating in terms of jumps, but I haven’t noticed anything major in terms of sizing or fit for my boot, but I wasn’t really looking. In terms of shoes, I’ve basically worn the same brand and size of shoes year around with no problem and no major changes. I think I’ll probably keep an eye out for that in the future though, definitely gives me something to think about, so thanks for the question!

Because of weight. Graf Richmond Special, Riedell Bronze Star, Jackson Premier Fusion 2802 or you may want to look at an Elite 5300. Again, these are not boots I would usually recommend for your skill level, but with your powerlifting and weight changes, when you are on your heavier side, you will need the stiffer than usual for your level boot.

Honestly though, you are the perfect candidate for a semi custom in order to get the stiffness you need.

Also, as far as what you call "the sleeves" I assume you are referring to bunga pads? We all (or most of us) have to wear them, it's a skating thing. You would not want to see my feet and ankles for the many years I've been skating and was competitive.

Yes sorry, I meant bunga pads, I couldn’t recall the name at the time! And oh okay, glad to know it’s not something weird then, since all the other adult skaters at my rink don’t use them and I haven’t really seen other skaters user them personally. What would be the benefits over semi-customs vs a stiffer non-custom boot? My current understanding of semi-custom (at least for Jackson anyways) is that you are taking a model they already have and modifying it somewhat, such as making it stiffer than normal. I don’t know if this is correct, but I would love to know how this is superior to just getting a stiffer boot.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes sorry, I meant bunga pads, I couldn’t recall the name at the time! And oh okay, glad to know it’s not something weird then, since all the other adult skaters at my rink don’t use them and I haven’t really seen other skaters user them personally. What would be the benefits over semi-customs vs a stiffer non-custom boot? My current understanding of semi-custom (at least for Jackson anyways) is that you are taking a model they already have and modifying it somewhat, such as making it stiffer than normal. I don’t know if this is correct, but I would love to know how this is superior to just getting a stiffer boot.
You're able to get a custom stiffness. Boots are really designed for axel + doubles and then triples + quads. There's nothing in the middle that's more for "heavy person doing axel + doubles." Triples and quads need a lot more support than doubles because of the extreme forces that you just don't get with doubles and those boots would be way too much for you. The only exception would be if you were extremely skilled in another discipline such as synchro (which is actually the reason my boots are a bit stiffer than they really are supposed to be for my jumps), but I'm guessing that isn't the case for you because you would have mentioned it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You're able to get a custom stiffness. Boots are really designed for axel + doubles and then triples + quads. There's nothing in the middle that's more for "heavy person doing axel + doubles." Triples and quads need a lot more support than doubles because of the extreme forces that you just don't get with doubles and those boots would be way too much for you. The only exception would be if you were extremely skilled in another discipline such as synchro (which is actually the reason my boots are a bit stiffer than they really are supposed to be for my jumps), but I'm guessing that isn't the case for you because you would have mentioned it.
(y)

AtomIG

Spectator
Country
United-States
I see, this makes a lot of sense actually! I think I may definitely look into semi-customs then, since they sound like the best option.

Thanks for the help everyone, this has been super helpful and I definitely have some options to pick from now!