New skates | Golden Skate

New skates

komalpan

Spectator
Hi there!
I’m new here and I would really appreciate some advice on picking out my first pair of ice skates.

Some background info: I’m 18, I’m 155cm tall and my weight is around 47kg. I been doing a lot of research recently on good ice skates however it’s a bit difficult.
Im looking to take lessons next year and learn to skate properly. Maybe 2-3 hrs a week. I’ve been a lot of times in the past as a recreational skater and I would say I’m a fast learner. I’m already past a uk level at skating so I’m not too much of a beginner. I would like to learn jumps and spins as I do a lot of off ice training already.
I need skates that will last a while especially if I progress quickly, but also be a reasonable price range. I’m willing to spend a bit more on good skates. I was leaning towards Jackson or Edea but don’t know which ones.
I would go to skate shop to get fitted but there’s not any nearby.

Thank you for the help :)

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi there!
I’m new here and I would really appreciate some advice on picking out my first pair of ice skates.

Some background info: I’m 18, I’m 155cm tall and my weight is around 47kg. I been doing a lot of research recently on good ice skates however it’s a bit difficult.
Im looking to take lessons next year and learn to skate properly. Maybe 2-3 hrs a week. I’ve been a lot of times in the past as a recreational skater and I would say I’m a fast learner. I’m already past a uk level at skating so I’m not too much of a beginner. I would like to learn jumps and spins as I do a lot of off ice training already.
I need skates that will last a while especially if I progress quickly, but also be a reasonable price range. I’m willing to spend a bit more on good skates. I was leaning towards Jackson or Edea but don’t know which ones.

No matter what was stated, until you get proper instruction with a coach, you are technically still a beginner. Depending on what they determine once you start lessons, they may start you at a higher learn to skate level, or not.

I'm going to emphasize that you need a proper fitting, there has to be someone who is skilled in fitting you for a skate. I'd need more information on your foot to actually make loose suggestions for boots/blades. Is your foot wide, narrow, wide in one part and narrow in the other, how about your arches: None, low, medium, high???

komalpan

Spectator
No matter what was stated, until you get proper instruction with a coach, you are technically still a beginner. Depending on what they determine once you start lessons, they may start you at a higher learn to skate level, or not.

I'm going to emphasize that you need a proper fitting, there has to be someone who is skilled in fitting you for a skate. I'd need more information on your foot to actually make loose suggestions for boots/blades. Is your foot wide, narrow, wide in one part and narrow in the other, how about your arches: None, low, medium, high???
Ah thank you for the quick reply!
I completely understand that I would need a proper fitting and I would like to do that as soon as I can.

It would be great to have a sense of what kind of boot stiffness I would need as I’m quite small for an adult and the boot might be more difficult to break in. (??)

I would say my foot is narrow at the bottom and is a little wider towards the ball of my feet. And I would say my arches are normal/medium. My toe shape is a Greek shape.
Thank you!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I will second what Ic3Rabbit suggested already, which is to see a fitter. We may be able to give you general suggestions, but nothing beats an in person, real-time look at your feet. Also, even though someone may have the same foot attributes that you note above, there can still be differences in things like:
  • foot volume or height of instep
  • how much your foot spreads when you stand up vs. sit down with no weight on it
  • the shape of your ankles and lower calves
  • whether you naturally pronate or supinate
  • and so many more....
A reputable fitter will be able to measure you, take a look at your feet, and bring out a variety of brands, models and sizes for you to try. IF possible, find a fitter that carries a variety of brands and models. Sometimes they can't always stock everything, but can look at your feet and make recommendations on what to order.

I would caution against ordering online (even if cheaper) as it relies on you to measure yourself (which is hard to do) and it is generally harder to deal with them for general maintenance and adjustments, which are common.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ah thank you for the quick reply!
I completely understand that I would need a proper fitting and I would like to do that as soon as I can.

It would be great to have a sense of what kind of boot stiffness I would need as I’m quite small for an adult and the boot might be more difficult to break in. (??)

I would say my foot is narrow at the bottom and is a little wider towards the ball of my feet. And I would say my arches are normal/medium. My toe shape is a Greek shape.
Thank you!
In sets: Jackson Freestyle 2190, it comes with the Aspire blade. In just Jackson boot, try the Debut 2450/51, and pair it with an MK flight or galaxy blade.

If you want suggestions of other brands, let me know, I gave you Jackson because you mentioned it.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Try to get to Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool if you possibly can. Alison Holden will see you right.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's impossible to overboot an adult in Edea...

komalpan

Spectator
I will second what Ic3Rabbit suggested already, which is to see a fitter. We may be able to give you general suggestions, but nothing beats an in person, real-time look at your feet. Also, even though someone may have the same foot attributes that you note above, there can still be differences in things like:
  • foot volume or height of instep
  • how much your foot spreads when you stand up vs. sit down with no weight on it
  • the shape of your ankles and lower calves
  • whether you naturally pronate or supinate
  • and so many more....
A reputable fitter will be able to measure you, take a look at your feet, and bring out a variety of brands, models and sizes for you to try. IF possible, find a fitter that carries a variety of brands and models. Sometimes they can't always stock everything, but can look at your feet and make recommendations on what to order.

I would caution against ordering online (even if cheaper) as it relies on you to measure yourself (which is hard to do) and it is generally harder to deal with them for general maintenance and adjustments, which are common.
Thank you so much for your input!
I will definitely go see a professional fitter now once they’re open for business. It would be much better to buy a good skate than take chances online. :)

komalpan

Spectator
Try to get to Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool if you possibly can. Alison Holden will see you right.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's impossible to overboot an adult in Edea...
Thank you for your suggestion I’ll definitely have a look!!

komalpan

Spectator
In sets: Jackson Freestyle 2190, it comes with the Aspire blade. In just Jackson boot, try the Debut 2450/51, and pair it with an MK flight or galaxy blade.

If you want suggestions of other brands, let me know, I gave you Jackson because you mentioned it.
When I was doing some research I was leaning towards the freestyles. Hopefully the closest skate shop has them in the store, if not I could at least get their opinion. Thank you so much for the recommendation!!

donutchun

Spectator
Hi there!

donutchun

Spectator
It sounds like you're not US based so not sure how easy it is to get these skates in the UK! Also, not sure if Jackson or other skates might be cheaper.

But my sis and I used Riedells when we were younger & starting to learn single jumps. And when we were more petite ; ) The Edge, Motion, or Flare could be good for you (Edge is the least supportive, Flare is the most supportive). These come with blades.

Looking into the future, the Bronze Star is good enough to get one through starting doubles, but it also wasn't so stiff or inappropriate for doing singles and deep edges with more support. It's more expensive because you have to add your own blades, but I think it's a great boot for getting thru single jumps if you're planning to advance quite quickly to the axel/doubles. We used it with the coronation ace, but some of the other blades others mentioned above might be cheaper.

We both have wider balls of feet and slimmer heels/ ankles - the Riedells are more straight all the way through, but can be ordered B/A or other combos to accommodate that.

Good luck!

Last edited:

komalpan

Spectator
It sounds like you're not US based so not sure how easy it is to get these skates in the UK! Also, not sure if Jackson or other skates might be cheaper.

But my sis and I used Riedells when we were younger & starting to learn single jumps. And when we were more petite ; ) The Edge, Motion, or Flare could be good for you (Edge is the least supportive, Flare is the most supportive). These come with blades.

Looking into the future, the Bronze Star is good enough to get one through starting doubles, but it also wasn't so stiff or inappropriate for doing singles and deep edges with more support. It's more expensive because you have to add your own blades, but I think it's a great boot for getting thru single jumps if you're planning to advance quite quickly to the axel/doubles. We used it with the coronation ace, but some of the other blades others mentioned above might be cheaper.

We both have wider balls of feet and slimmer heels/ ankles - the Riedells are more straight all the way through, but can be ordered B/A or other combos to accommodate that.

Good luck!

Wow thank you so much for the advice! I wasn't considering Riedells but from what you've said and my research I think that they might be a good fit for my foot. I will definitely ask my nearest skate fitter if they have any riedell boots in store. They are harder to come by in the UK but I'm willing to try different branded skates. Again thank you so much for the useful advice!!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Good luck!

The boots suggested are too stiff for the OP. First of all, the Edge doesn't exist anymore in the Riedell line, and I would not be putting OP in any Riedell at this point other than the Stride and perhaps the Motion, even though the Motion is a stretch and will be stiff for them to get used to. The blades on the Riedell sets aren't the greatest and not something I would recommend to my greatest enemy.

Wow thank you so much for the advice! I wasn't considering Riedells but from what you've said and my research I think that they might be a good fit for my foot. I will definitely ask my nearest skate fitter if they have any riedell boots in store. They are harder to come by in the UK but I'm willing to try different branded skates. Again thank you so much for the useful advice!!
OP: See above.

Last edited:

komalpan

Spectator
The boots suggested are too stiff for the OP. First of all, the Edge doesn't exist anymore in the Riedell line, and I would not be putting OP in any Riedell at this point other than the Stride and perhaps the Motion, even though the Motion is a stretch and will be stiff for them to get used to. The blades on the Riedell sets aren't the greatest and not something I would recommend to my greatest enemy.

OP: See above.
Ah thank you for pointing that out! My local fitter doesn’t stock riedells and they’re a bit hard to come by In the uk and definitely above my budget right now.
Thank you for the advice about the blades as well!