New skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New skates

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Go with the boot that the pro who measures you reccomends, or look at Ic3Rabbit's recommendations.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
I got the chance to go to a fitter a few weeks ago (a different one than last time) and he recommended I get Jackson Elite 5300 but the price is higher than I'm willing to pay especially if you compare it to the price of Risport. He also didn't have my size in stock so I couldn't actually try them on. But he did say that my feet might do well in a Risport Royal pro or RF3 pro with a few moderations. Sadly all shops closed shortly after I went so any help would be amazing. My heel is narrower than the ball of my foot and my first three toes are about the same length but the other two are a lot shorter so I'm not entirely sure if I have a roman or greek foot anymore.
I also lost my Axel and my Lutz is becoming inconsistent and I'm not sure if that could be because of my skates. I do get blisters on my toes and my heels so maybe that's a sign that Riedells are not right for my feet.
I have decided on coronation ace blades but would it be worth the extra cost to get the revolution or light?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I got the chance to go to a fitter a few weeks ago (a different one than last time) and he recommended I get Jackson Elite 5300 but the price is higher than I'm willing to pay especially if you compare it to the price of Risport. He also didn't have my size in stock so I couldn't actually try them on. But he did say that my feet might do well in a Risport Royal pro or RF3 pro with a few moderations. Sadly all shops closed shortly after I went so any help would be amazing. My heel is narrower than the ball of my foot and my first three toes are about the same length but the other two are a lot shorter so I'm not entirely sure if I have a roman or greek foot anymore.
I also lost my Axel and my Lutz is becoming inconsistent and I'm not sure if that could be because of my skates. I do get blisters on my toes and my heels so maybe that's a sign that Riedells are not right for my feet.
I have decided on coronation ace blades but would it be worth the extra cost to get the revolution or light?
Jackson Premier Fusion is enough for your level, try that. Risport is going to be too narrow for you, now that you say how wide your forefoot is. If Jackson fusion doesn't work, you'd be a good candidate for a semi custom Jackson.

shumaislife

Rinkside
At my rink, anyone who is on Coronation Aces are on "regular" CAs. They are doing single jumps and learning doubles.

I personally will happily save the $100 and go for the regular kind when it's time for me to upgrade my blades to CAs.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Thanks for your replies!
Out of curiosity: is there a difference between the risport rf3 pro and royal pro except that they're from two different lines because at my skate shop there's no difference in price and for my level would either boot be overbooting? Also do Risport do split width?
I would go with Jackson but my concern is that they're pretty high compared to other brands and the lower models are quite expensive.
My fitter said that I had a (relatively) narrow heel but what exactly defines a narrow heel or how much narrower should the heel be in comparison to the ball to be considered as such?
I guess some of these questions are pretty stupid but as always I'd really appreciate your help!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks for your replies!
Out of curiosity: is there a difference between the risport rf3 pro and royal pro except that they're from two different lines because at my skate shop there's no difference in price and for my level would either boot be overbooting? Also do Risport do split width?
I would go with Jackson but my concern is that they're pretty high compared to other brands and the lower models are quite expensive.
My fitter said that I had a (relatively) narrow heel but what exactly defines a narrow heel or how much narrower should the heel be in comparison to the ball to be considered as such?
I guess some of these questions are pretty stupid but as always I'd really appreciate your help!
All I know about Risport is that here in the U.S. they only come in B and C widths, except for the RF1 Elite which also comes in a AA. I don't know how those widths correspond to other boot makers' widths.

At your size and just starting doubles the rec. above from Ice Rabbit for the Jackson Premiere is all you need, you do not need the Elite. I agree, it is very expensive compared to the Premiere. Even our fitter was shocked at the jump from the Premiere, he didn't believe me when I told him.

With Jackson you can get the Rapid Custom width change for another $50 (that's what we paid, may be a bit higher now), something the Risport doesn't offer here in the U.S. (not sure where you are located). The cost for the Premiere, $400 + $50 RC is on par with the RF3 Pro ($450) and Royal Pro ($500). Costs may be different wherever you are. The Premiere has taken my skater, just a little smaller than you, through 2Lz and Flying Camel.

I don't know the literal definition of a narrow heel, but I think in a boot it means a difference of 2 widths, i.e my skater is a C ball with an A heel (which is what we ordered through Jackson's RC option). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
All I know about Risport is that here in the U.S. they only come in B and C widths, except for the RF1 Elite which also comes in a AA. I don't know how those widths correspond to other boot makers' widths.

At your size and just starting doubles the rec. above from Ice Rabbit for the Jackson Premiere is all you need, you do not need the Elite. I agree, it is very expensive compared to the Premiere. Even our fitter was shocked at the jump from the Premiere, he didn't believe me when I told him.

With Jackson you can get the Rapid Custom width change for another $50 (that's what we paid, may be a bit higher now), something the Risport doesn't offer here in the U.S. (not sure where you are located). The cost for the Premiere, $400 + $50 RC is on par with the RF3 Pro ($450) and Royal Pro ($500). Costs may be different wherever you are. The Premiere has taken my skater, just a little smaller than you, through 2Lz and Flying Camel.

I don't know the literal definition of a narrow heel, but I think in a boot it means a difference of 2 widths, i.e my skater is a C ball with an A heel (which is what we ordered through Jackson's RC option). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you so much! I'm from the UK and at my skate shop the risport rf3 pro and royal pro are only around 280$ but the Jackson Premiere is about 400$ (assuming I've converted correctly from pounds). I wonder why there's such a big difference in the price of Risport in comparison to the US. 🤔

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thank you so much! I'm from the UK and at my skate shop the risport rf3 pro and royal pro are only around 280$ but the Jackson Premiere is about 400$ (assuming I've converted correctly from pounds). I wonder why there's such a big difference in the price of Risport in comparison to the US. 🤔
A raw conversion is $400 = £291. Add extra shipping costs. Risport from Italy is likely cheaper to ship. Of course with Brexit, all bets are off now on imports from the EU. One UK online shop I checked has a Royal Pro for £263 = $361, another has the Premiere at £239 (all online shops are usually cheaper than buying from a fitter/pro shop) but they seem pretty comparable.

The best advice is, get what fits your feet the best. If you have to pay more to get that, you do. If you buy a boot that doesn't fit well in order to save a few $/£'s guess what? you'll likely not skate as much because of discomfort or frustration and then you're out much more than what you've saved.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
A raw conversion is $400 = £291. Add extra shipping costs. Risport from Italy is likely cheaper to ship. Of course with Brexit, all bets are off now on imports from the EU. One UK online shop I checked has a Royal Pro for £263 = $361, another has the Premiere at £239 (all online shops are usually cheaper than buying from a fitter/pro shop) but they seem pretty comparable.

The best advice is, get what fits your feet the best. If you have to pay more to get that, you do. If you buy a boot that doesn't fit well in order to save a few $/£'s guess what? you'll likely not skate as much because of discomfort or frustration and then you're out much more than what you've saved.
The Risports are only a bit over 200£ whereas the Premiere is around 300£ at the shop I'd be buying my skates.
Thanks again for your advice!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Risport come from Italy and are cheaper to import.

I have a wide forefoot and narrower heel and Risport suit me but boots are a very personal thing. Mine came from Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool. I ordered either online or by phone, but the price was the same online and in the shop, I believe.

Sibelius

On the Ice

I have a wide forefoot and narrower heel and Risport suit me but boots are a very personal thing. Mine came from Al's Skate Shop in Blackpool. I ordered either online or by phone, but the price was the same online and in the shop, I believe.
What width did you get?

Sibelius

On the Ice
The Risports are only a bit over 200£ whereas the Premiere is around 300£ at the shop I'd be buying my skates.
Thanks again for your advice!
Ok, good luck and get what fits best. The Risports are beautiful boots, and we were seriously considering them, but instead we have to go with custom Jackson's, regardless of the astornomical cost, because it's what fits.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside

What shape are your toes? I'm wondering if a roman or greek foot would suit Risport better, I'm guessing greek but I'm not really sure.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Ok, good luck and get what fits best. The Risports are beautiful boots, and we were seriously considering them, but instead we have to go with custom Jackson's, regardless of the astornomical cost, because it's what fits.
Will do, I'd go with Jackson immediately if it weren't for the height of the boots. I have really short legs and when I was in Riedell I felt like I didn't have the mobility to even bend my knees. Is the height of the Jackson Premiere about the same as that of the Riedell motion?

Sibelius

On the Ice
Will do, I'd go with Jackson immediately if it weren't for the height of the boots. I have really short legs and when I was in Riedell I felt like I didn't have the mobility to even bend my knees. Is the height of the Jackson Premiere about the same as that of the Riedell motion?
That I have no idea. My skater had a pair of Riedells on for about 3 seconds long ago before saying, NOPE, not for me.

Unfortunately Jackson doesn't offer a low cut Premiere. I was told that the Premiere was designed for a specific skater (who then abandoned Jackson) and it's the only one with all those hooks (she was breaking the ones on the boots before they added the extra hooks) so they can't make it lower. The Debut does come low cut (which reduces the stiffness), but the next low cut stock option is the Supreme. Low cut might be an option she chooses on the customs.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your replies!
First of all, your questions are not stupid. You are learning, we are helping teach you, it happens with all skaters. :)

Yes, there is a difference with Risport Rf3 and Royal Pro, the Royal Pro is stiffer. RF3 stiffness is 60ish and Royal Pro is 65ish, they should run about 100 dollars give or take between the two. Living in UK you are closer to Italy where Risport is made so they will be "cheaper" for you compared to Jackson's made in Canada. As far as Jackson, the models I suggested earlier in this thread are the best for you. Now, do not decide on what brand until you are properly fit by a skating pro fitter, that is what decides what brand you get (based on your foot).