Newbie question about blade noise | Golden Skate

Newbie question about blade noise

Talionis

Rinkside
So, I've graduated from "marching" to beginner forward stroking, and I've noticed that my right blade makes a lot more noise on the ice than the left blade does. The left one is a very quiet hiss, while the right one is more of a scraping sound. What could this mean? Are my blades sharpened unevenly, or should I look for blade damage, or is it just likely that I'm dragging that foot on a bit of a diagonal instead of gliding straight? (My right side is definitely weaker than my left.) Do I need to adjust the blade mounting on that side? Or is this just normal and nothing to be concerned about?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
All of those things could be the culprit. See a good skate tech and talk to your coach.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
What gliese said. I can usually tell what's going on by listening to my skaters' blades by the sound they make and there's a pretty good chance that your coach will be able to as well.

Talionis

Rinkside
I’ll see if I can ask my coach about it in my next class - I’m still taking LTS group classes, so it may depend on how many people are in the new class starting on Thursday. I’m hoping to ask her where to find a good skate tech in the area, too. I don’t think I’d want the pro shop at my rink to do anything more than sharpening, if that.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ll see if I can ask my coach about it in my next class - I’m still taking LTS group classes, so it may depend on how many people are in the new class starting on Thursday. I’m hoping to ask her where to find a good skate tech in the area, too. I don’t think I’d want the pro shop at my rink to do anything more than sharpening, if that.
If you don't trust your pro shop at the rink to do anything but sharpening, IDK that I'd even be trusting them to sharpen.

Talionis

Rinkside
I haven't been able to ask my coach about my blade noise, so the mystery continues. It turns out that my new class meets at the same time as a hockey practice one rink over (separated by just a curtain), and they seem to favor drills that involve smashing pucks into the wall at high speed. Not only can I not hear my blades, I can't hear a word the coach is saying, let alone ask her a question. It's almost humorous - she has to pantomime everything, and as beginners, sometimes we're not sure if she's showing us the right way to do something or the wrong way to avoid. I'd complain about not really getting my money's worth out of the class, but there's nothing the rink staff could do about it if I did. In the meantime, I tried getting the blades sharpened - it was about time, anyway. Next time I can get to an uncrowded weekday practice session I'll see if my right foot is any quieter. Too much little-kid noise at today's session to be able to tell.