Nice interview with WA's very own Jean-Luc Baker. | Golden Skate

Nice interview with WA's very own Jean-Luc Baker.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Could you copy and paste this interview into this thread? I'm not allowed to read this through the link as there is something with the privacy laws (I don't understand exactly why because there are plenty sites from across the ocean that I can read). Thanks beforehand!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Could you copy and paste this interview into this thread? I'm not allowed to read this through the link as there is something with the privacy laws (I don't understand exactly why because there are plenty sites from across the ocean that I can read). Thanks beforehand!

The link in the OP is to a video interview.

The link to the companion print version:

It would be against GS guidelines to copy and paste the entire print version.
Below is an excerpt from the end.
(The earlier parts are mostly more familiar stuff, IMO -- covered in other interviews.
KHQ is the local NBC station in Spokane, Washington.)

... If he were to go to the Olympics he would be one of the few figure skaters to represent the state of Washington, Rosalynn Sumners being one of the most recent, in the 1984 games.

Baker says that he feels his attendance would send a strong message to kids at local ice rinks across the state.

“Being able to not be in a huge training facility, like quote on quote you would see in California or Colorado— I think coming from a state like that you have perceived expectations of being great,” Baker said, “now from Washington you don’t think of many great athletes let alone skaters coming from here- and now we’re starting to get a bigger growth in the area. But I think it would be such an honor to be kind of a role model, and just show the youth and everybody that anything is possible.”

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Young Ian Somerville, bronze medalist in Junior Dance at the recent US Nationals, talked about the influence Jean Luc is already having on young skaters, in an interview in USFS fan zone. Here’s Ian speaking about Jean Luc:

"I see myself a lot in Jean-Luc," Somerville said. "I feel like when I watch him skate, wow, I think that if I can try to implement some of his awesome energy, that would be a great addition to my skating. We just really love them, a lot."

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does the KHQ reporter look something like Tanith Belbin? :)

Jean-Luc is the only world class athlete who calls Mukilteo, Washington (population 20,000) home. :)
I think it's interesting that more skaters don't come from the PNW. There are skaters from Cal but, skating isn't nearly as popular as it is in Washington State. In Ca. I'd say that Hockey is more popular than figure skating. I know Michelle Kwan was from Torrance, and Sasha was from Westwood, and Karen Chen is from Freemont. That's 3 National Champions in the last 20 years from areas where they receive no show. I almost forgot Mirai, she is also from So, Ca. that's 4 National Champions.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think it's interesting that more skaters don't from the PNW. There are skaters from Cal but, skating isn't nearly as popular as it is in Washington State. In Ca. I'd say that Hockey is more popular than figure skating. I know Michelle Kwan was from Torrance, and Sasha was from Westwood, and Karen Chen is from Freemont. That's 3 National Champions in the last 20 years from areas where they receive no show.
That is a most interesting math question. PER CAPITA, where do the majority of skaters above the old Novice level come from in the US? Illinois! where me and Evan Lysechek come from! There is nothing else to do there! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, three of the twelve U.S. Junior Men who just competed at 2021 Nats have ties to PNW.

ETA (on Jan 24):
I should have mentioned that qualifying for 2021 U.S. Nats had nothing to do with geography. Because of the pandemic, the 2020-21 season did not have any regionals/sectionals. Qualifying for Nats was based on nationwide placements in U.S. Championship Series (which had to be virtual).
In other words, it was not inevitable that any particular area of the country would be represented in a Nats field.​

My favorite is Sam Mindra, from Portland, Oregon.
2021 U.S. bronze medalist in Junior Men.
(BTW, Daisuke Murakami is one of his choreographers.)

Lucas Broussard -- "Hometown: Seattle; "Training Town: Shoreline, WA."
6th at 2021 Nats in Junior Men. (4th in FS.)
Winner of Junior Men in U.S. Championship Series (qualifying event for 2021 Nats).

Liam Kapeikis -- "Birthplace: Wenatchee, WA; Hometown: Blaine, WA" -- trains in British Columbia.
9th at 2021 Nats in Junior Men.
2020 U.S. bronze medalist in Junior Men.
10th at 2020 Youth Olympic Games.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FWIW, three of the twelve U.S. Junior Men who just competed at 2021 Nats have ties to PNW.

ETA (on Jan 24):​
I should have mentioned that qualifying for 2021 U.S. Nats had nothing to do with geography. Because of the pandemic, the 2020-21 season did not have any regionals/sectionals. Qualifying for Nats was based on nationwide placements in U.S. Championship Series (which had to be virtual).​
In other words, it was not inevitable that any particular area of the country would be represented in a Nats field.​

My favorite is Sam Mindra, from Portland, Oregon.
2021 U.S. bronze medalist in Junior Men.
(BTW, Daisuke Murakami is one of his choreographers.)

Lucas Broussard -- "Hometown: Seattle; "Training Town: Shoreline, WA."
6th at 2021 Nats in Junior Men. (4th in FS.)
Winner of Junior Men in U.S. Championship Series (qualifying event for 2021 Nats).

Liam Kapeikis -- "Birthplace: Wenatchee, WA; Hometown: Blaine, WA" -- trains in British Columbia.
9th at 2021 Nats in Junior Men.
2020 U.S. bronze medalist in Junior Men.
10th at 2020 Youth Olympic Games.

Very true! And look at Bradie Tennell. Northern Illinois is a hotbed of skaters...
Jason Brown!
Jessica!
Elsa!
Calista!
Joseph!
Alexa!
Hannah!
Isabelle!
Audrey!
Paige!
Taira!
Adele!