Numb big toes, have I been misfit? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Numb big toes, have I been misfit?

Lucie

Rinkside
Edea would have suggested that you went into 255 because their skates are measured for the foot length that intends on going into them. I know people that have been put into skates half a size too big so 5mm and they experience agony and a whole host of other issues but then go half a size down with the same brand and have no issues what so ever.
According to Kinzies closet the way to size for Edea is to take your foot measurement in mm and add 10. This would make me a 265. Interestingly I noticed that the footbed of the 260 has 255 printed on it and apparently this is because Edea use the same last and footbed for the 260 as the 255 and just add an extra 0.5cm of upper material, considering the interior length measurements that both I and my new fitter have taken on the 260 it seems like this doesn’t really make it a true half size up from the 255. Bit cheap of Edea really.
I definitely don’t want skates that are too big, I made the mistake of buying the 260 instead of the 265 because she convinced me that the 265 would loosen up to be too big if I wanted a snug fit, and that the 260 would stretch in length with break in, unfortunately the 260 is actually shorter than my feet and Edea say their boots never loosen lengthwise and cannot be stretched for length

Lucie

Rinkside
This is exactly what I told you from the start in this thread. ;) You would seem to fit a Jackson/Risport better.
Yes, I can see on this forum that you are the doyenne of skates! Thank you so much for your advice, it’s how I knew this new fitter knows what she’s talking about because she recommended the same as you! 😄
I just have to decide between Risport and Jackson now

eclipse

Rinkside
According to Kinzies closet the way to size for Edea is to take your foot measurement in mm and add 10. This would make me a 265. Interestingly I noticed that the footbed of the 260 has 255 printed on it and apparently this is because Edea use the same last and footbed for the 260 as the 255 and just add an extra 0.5cm of upper material, considering the interior length measurements that both I and my new fitter have taken on the 260 it seems like this doesn’t really make it a true half size up from the 255. Bit cheap of Edea really.
I definitely don’t want skates that are too big, I made the mistake of buying the 260 instead of the 265 because she convinced me that the 265 would loosen up to be too big if I wanted a snug fit, and that the 260 would stretch in length with break in, unfortunately the 260 is actually shorter than my feet and Edea say their boots never loosen lengthwise and cannot be stretched for length
Adding 10mm makes no sense considering me someone who has feet of 264mm length can fit into 265 edea and experiences no pain. I know other skaters who do the exact same and have no issue with their skates.

I had an issue where I was put into skates too big by everglides and that caused pain along my big toe due to the nerve being compressed as it forced the tongue to place excess pressure in one specific spot rather than evenly across the foot.

Can you actually feel the end of the boot pushing back against your toes and misplacing them?

Chances are you are not meant for edea as has previously been said

Lucie

Rinkside
Adding 10mm makes no sense considering me someone who has feet of 264mm length can fit into 265 edea and experiences no pain. I know other skaters who do the exact same and have no issue with their skates.

I had an issue where I was put into skates too big by everglides and that caused pain along my big toe due to the nerve being compressed as it forced the tongue to place excess pressure in one specific spot rather than evenly across the foot.

Can you actually feel the end of the boot pushing back against your toes and misplacing them?

Chances are you are not meant for edea as has previously been said
Interesting to know someone else has had issues with an Everglides fitting.

Yes my big and second toes I can feel pressure, the big toe is displaced strongly towards the 2nd and the 2nd is bent up.

My rink shop kindly let me put my foot on their branded Edea measuring tool this morning just out of interest really, toes just over the 260 line, but as you say, Edea are not right for my foot shape, the guy there said the 260 would probably have worked if my toes didn’t spread so much and I was looking for a super snug competitive fit. All feet are different!

Last edited:

eclipse

Rinkside
Interesting to know someone else has had issues with an Everglides fitting.

Yes my big and second toes I can feel pressure, the big toe is displaced strongly towards the 2nd and the 2nd is bent up.

My rink shop kindly let me put my foot on their branded Edea measuring tool this morning just out of interest really, toes just over the 260 line, but as you say, Edea are not right for my foot shape, the guy there said the 260 would probably have worked if my toes didn’t spread so much and I was looking for a super snug competitive fit. All feet are different!
Yeah that just sounds like a skate which isn't the right shape at all.

It was about as they described a "comfort fit" they give the skater often adult a larger size than needed so they have greater room in the boot. However skates aren't meant to be worn like that they are designed for what they would describe as a competitive fit which has less than 5mm room at the end. I was given a skate that was 1 and a half sizes too big which of course meant they broke super quick.

What do you plan on doing now?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have contacted another fitter who has had me send her tracings and photos of my feet (as she is a long way from me). She is not keen on Edea for me, and thinks I should go for a Jackson wide fit and have it heat moulded but I’m not sure this could make a C/D split width boot narrow enough to fit a B/C foot could it? I’m assuming my feet are a C ball and B heel as Everglides said my width at the ball was a C and the Edeas which come stock as a B/C split are a snug fit at the heel and good at the ball now I have stretched them slightly across the ball/bunion area, but they were never narrow enough to cause discomfort except in the toebox. She also thinks that Risport would be better than Edea but might not be snug enough in the heel as they are not split width, but (as I have told her) the Risports were snugger in the heel than the Jackson W which she prefers for me over the Risports. I am very grateful that she is looking at my foot shape and talking to me about which brands last shape might suit me best, but this is leaving me a bit confused.
<<Emphasis added>> There are sufficient variations in lengths and widths between different manufacturers that I wouldn't be at all concerned about apparent discrepancies in either lengths or widths between different manufacturers. It's critical that you go to a competent fitter experienced in taking measurements and tracings so that either the fitter or a manufacturer's agent can recommend the proper size to order (should one not be in stock for you to try on). The heel fit is the most critical. It's best that the heel fit properly without requiring adjustment. Other parts of the boot also need to fit properly, of course; but you have more adjustment leeway either through heat moulding or lacing.

Also, if Jackson should be your best option (to be determined by a competent fitter), you should check with your fitter whether semi-custom is an available option for you in the UK. More advanced Jackson stock boots are fitted on the Elite last: this is a split width with the heel one width narrower than the ball. If you need a larger difference in width between the ball and the heel, Jackson does offer semi-custom for some models, at least in US and Canada. Prior to the pandemic, the additional wait time and extra charge were reasonable. I don't know what they are under present circumstances. But you should at least inquire with your fitter should a stock boot not provide a proper fit. Good Luck!

Lucie

Rinkside
<<Emphasis added>> There are sufficient variations in lengths and widths between different manufacturers that I wouldn't be at all concerned about apparent discrepancies in either lengths or widths between different manufacturers. It's critical that you go to a competent fitter experienced in taking measurements and tracings so that either the fitter or a manufacturer's agent can recommend the proper size to order (should one not be in stock for you to try on). The heel fit is the most critical. It's best that the heel fit properly without requiring adjustment. Other parts of the boot also need to fit properly, of course; but you have more adjustment leeway either through heat moulding or lacing.

Also, if Jackson should be your best option (to be determined by a competent fitter), you should check with your fitter whether semi-custom is an available option for you in the UK. More advanced Jackson stock boots are fitted on the Elite last: this is a split width with the heel one width narrower than the ball. If you need a larger difference in width between the ball and the heel, Jackson does offer semi-custom for some models, at least in US and Canada. Prior to the pandemic, the additional wait time and extra charge were reasonable. I don't know what they are under present circumstances. But you should at least inquire with your fitter should a stock boot not provide a proper fit. Good Luck!
Thank you for all this advice, much appreciated!

Lucie

Rinkside
Update for anyone who was wondering what I did next or who comes across this thread and is interested. I’ve been fitted in Risports size 260 which seems slightly bigger than an Edea 260 and more toe room; they felt comfortable in the shop, not skated in them yet but very excited! Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and give their advice, it has been very helpful 😊

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Update for anyone who was wondering what I did next or who comes across this thread and is interested. I’ve been fitted in Risports size 260 which seems slightly bigger than an Edea 260 and more toe room; they felt comfortable in the shop, not skated in them yet but very excited! Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and give their advice, it has been very helpful 😊
I'm glad things worked out for you. May I ask: 260 but what width in Risport?

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi all, sorry for yet another fitting related thread, but I’ve had no luck getting hold of my fitter and I need some advice.
5 weeks ago I was fitted at Everglides, previously I was wearing some hand me down recreational skates by riedell that were too long and too narrow.
I’m doing Skate UK learn to skate, skating now about 3h a week. I was fitted in Edea Overture, initially she put a size 265C on me which felt good other than it didn’t cup my heel as well as the 265 Risport Electra we also tried, so she brought out the overture in a 260C. I mentioned at the time that the toes felt a bit tight and I could feel the end of the boot but she said that was normal and it would be ease with heat moulding and breaking in. Fast forward to now and I’m having persistent problems with my big toes going numb, the rest of my toes and feet are fine, it’s just the big toes the right more than the left. They felt a bit narrow across the ball of the foot and pressed slightly on the sides of my big toes. I have used a boot stretcher and a hairdryer on the bunion area and just above and now they feel more comfortable but my big toes still go numb. Initially I thought it was my feet getting cold as there is no room in my boot for anything thicker than tights and the Sidas insole she put in which has a forefoot thickness of less than 1mm, but on Sunday I did a 30min class and big toes went numb at 20min and when I took my boots off they felt warm - I did lace rather tightly though, I’ve not had the numbness happen so soon before so that could be why. They still go numb even if I lace too loose, it just gives me over an hour before it happens and obviously I’m not happy with lacing too loosely.
I don’t think the toe box can be stretched any further without lowering it to the point it hits the top of my toes.
Do you think they are a half size too small or are they the wrong shape for my feet? If it helps I have a toe configuration somewhere between Greek and Roman, my toes appear tapered as they are long and slim and squishable but they prefer to spread into a squarish shape when my foot is flat on the ground. The fitter measured my foot length and width and said I was a medium/C width and that my feet were very symmetrical, she didn’t do ball circumference or tracings. I have had a friend help me do my own tracings and on those my foot length is 9 7/8”, ball circumference 9 1/8”.
Skating is going well in them, I have good control of the boot and I’m making faster progress, I really like them except for the big toe issue.
I will keep trying to contact Everglides but in the meantime what are your opinions? Do I need a 265c overture and some aggressive punching out or do I need a different boot?

So one thing I noticed is no one is talking about INSOLES
I came on to see if anyone had issues with the Risport RF3 (sz260c) and numbness in toes (mostly due to the insole not protecting the foot from the bolts in the sole and an odd metatarsal shape molded into the Risport factory insoles).

We have the same length foot and previously I was put into a 265 Risport Electra which I found to be huge, followed by a Jackson 8W (also huge) (by a recommended fitter)

After moving to a different city, I met a BETTER fitter (honestly the guy blew me away how good he is - but that's a different story)

The first thing he did was have me change my footwear and switch out my insoles of my poorly fitting Jacksons in 8W for the superfeet hockey carbon pro insole which made a huge difference. I was then able to skate them into their death - which didn't take long as I was skating 15-20hr/wk.

Since then I've explored more heavily the role insoles play in a perfect fit. There are many different hockey insoles on the market that work just as well in figure skates. I would suggest if the width is good and the boots seem to fit otherwise try insoles first before the expense of new boots. Superfeet, Currex are 2 brands - I am aware of a dozen others but have no experience with.

For the record, I tried Jackson Debut in the correct size (7W - with my larger foot punched out at the big toe) and I just can't stand the higher heel of the fusion style boot (most likely due to my high instep/high arch)

I just switched out my brand new RF3 skates' insoles (after 2 days on these babies new FEB 10/23) and my feet immediately cried THANKS!
Different footwear, laces, lacing patterns and insoles make a huge difference in the fit and control of your skates!

Hope this is helpful to anyone else reading the thread.

HAPPY SKATING EVERYONE!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So one thing I noticed is no one is talking about INSOLES
I came on to see if anyone had issues with the Risport RF3 (sz260c) and numbness in toes (mostly due to the insole not protecting the foot and an odd metatarsal shape molded into the Risport factory insoles).
We have the same length foot and previously I was put into a 265 Risport Electra which I found to be huge, followed by a Jackson 8W (also huge)
After moving to a different city, I met a BETTER fitter (honestly the guy blew me away how good he is - but that's a different story)

The first thing he did was have me switch out my insoles of my poorly fitting Jacksons in 8W for the superfeet hockey carbon pro insole which made a huge difference. I was then able to skate them into their death - which didn't take long as I was skating 15-20hr/wk.

Since then I've explored more heavily the role insoles play in a perfect fit. There are many different hockey insoles on the market that work just as well in figure skates. I would suggest if the width is good and the boots seem to fit otherwise try insoles first before the expense of new boots. Superfeet, Currex are 2 brands - I am aware of a dozen others but have no experience with.

For the record, I tried Jackson Debut in the correct size (7W - with my larger foot punched out at the big toe) and I just can't stand the higher heel of the fusion style boot (most likely due to my high instep/high arch)

I just switched out my brand new RF3 skates' insoles (after 2 days on these babies new FEB 10/23) and my feet immediately cried THANKS!
Different laces, Lacing patterns and insoles make a huge difference in fit and control of your skates!

Hope this is helpful to anyone else reading the thread.

HAPPY SKATING EVERYONE!
We actually do talk about insoles here and the correct one for each person and reason. Read more threads. ;)

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada
CURIOUS how you made out with them!