Off-ice double loop help? | Golden Skate

Off-ice double loop help?

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Hi all!

Hoping for some advice to start rotating 2Lo off ice.

Currently, I have been off ice for a year due to the pandemic. When the rinks shut, I had an inconsistent axel on ice, and 1A, 2S and 2T off ice. I could never even get close to rotating a 2Lo...

A year on I still can't do it (and since rinks have been shut I've had no coaching to improve it). Its really starting to bug me now - I just can't seem to figure out where the rotation comes from, and my upper body always twists away from my lower.

Does anyone have any tips or exercises to help get that 2Lo off ice?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Two foot rotations help a lot. If you're not doing, you're wasting your time with all the other off ice jumps. Find videos online of beautiful, succesful ones, and compare yourself to them. Nitpick everything.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Please don't try doing this yourself without proper coaching. You could get injured and also learn incorrect technique which will be hard to correct later on.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Seconding what Ic3Rabbit said. I assume you have coaching as most people working on doubles have coaching for all their doubles off ice, but that isn't always the case. Don't attempt new things alone, ever (until you are told you can).

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Seconding what Ic3Rabbit said. I assume you have coaching as most people working on doubles have coaching for all their doubles off ice, but that isn't always the case. Don't attempt new things alone, ever (until you are told you can).
Yes, I have a coach and we did start working on this last time I saw him, but due to the pandemic and the rinks subsequently being closed I haven't seen him in nearly a year.

As desperate as i was to nail this before rinks reopen, perhaod I should stop trying until I see my coach again then... I can feel myself developing a habit with the upper body twist.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, I have a coach and we did start working on this last time I saw him, but due to the pandemic and the rinks subsequently being closed I haven't seen him in nearly a year.

As desperate as i was to nail this before rinks reopen, perhaod I should stop trying until I see my coach again then... I can feel myself developing a habit with the upper body twist.
I'd also recommend stopping trying for that until you can see your coach again. It takes a lot longer to unpick a bad habit than to develop a good new one. And developing good new ones isn't a fast process!

In the meantime, practice with a spinner. Rotation is always a good thing to work on.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
You could contact your coach and ask if he would be willing to give you off-ice lessons over zoom/skype/whatever or depending on restrictions in your area you could perhaps meetup outdoors for a lesson. Then he can give you tips for rotation jumps and other exercises. If your coach doesn't offer this service, you could ask for his permission to seek out a coach that does :)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You could contact your coach and ask if he would be willing to give you off-ice lessons over zoom/skype/whatever or depending on restrictions in your area you could perhaps meetup outdoors for a lesson. Then he can give you tips for rotation jumps and other exercises. If your coach doesn't offer this service, you could ask for his permission to seek out a coach that does :)
This is what I did. I sent videos of my off ice rotations to my coach when I wasn't able to skate and he would give me feedback. Nowadays I do this whenever I feel I'm struggling on something whether it's an off ice skill or or on ice skill and sometimes he can find exactly what I'm doing wrong and it's fixed right away. Other time's it's a cue to work on it in lesson time.

He also came to my house (outside) a couple times to do off ice lessons.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd also recommend stopping trying for that until you can see your coach again. It takes a lot longer to unpick a bad habit than to develop a good new one. And developing good new ones isn't a fast process!

In the meantime, practice with a spinner. Rotation is always a good thing to work on.
I second the spinner approach. Often it can correct things like over-rotating your upper body early and wonky axis (which can be helped by keeping your right side stronger and core engaged) - these things can compromise jumps, especially a loop which people have a tendency to rush the timing of.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Practice the spinner both ways too. When I started learning my jumps righty (I'm a lefty) my lefty jumps improved faster. I don't know what about it helps, but it seems to be true for most people I know who jump or spin both ways. You can also simulate twizzles with it if you have a spinner with a "rocker."

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Practice the spinner both ways too. When I started learning my jumps righty (I'm a lefty) my lefty jumps improved faster. I don't know what about it helps, but it seems to be true for most people I know who jump or spin both ways. You can also simulate twizzles with it if you have a spinner with a "rocker."
I have a spinner that only spins one way unfortunately. However I just did buy a 'toe' spinner designed for jumping that rotates both ways. Its not big enough to practice normal spins on as my foot doesn't fit on it fully, but I could practice jumps both ways on it. Would this be a helpful excerise?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have a spinner that only spins one way unfortunately. However I just did buy a 'toe' spinner designed for jumping that rotates both ways. Its not big enough to practice normal spins on as my foot doesn't fit on it fully, but I could practice jumps both ways on it. Would this be a helpful excerise?
What spinner do you have now and what's the "toe" spinner you're talking about?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States