Off-ice stroking exercises without using ankles | Golden Skate

Off-ice stroking exercises without using ankles

sampaguita

Rinkside
I injured my ankle while in a private lesson with my coach, and I'm looking for exercises to keep my skating muscles strong while my ankle is out of commission. And before anyone comes at me: I've seen a doctor, X-ray was fine so no bone damage, physical activity was ok'd by the doc as long as it didn't cause pain. I have a standing PT referral, but it takes months to get a PT appointment where I am and I don't want my other muscles to atrophy while waiting. The doc gave me some home exercises while waiting for PT but they're only for the ankle.

One of my favorite off-ice exercises was off-ice stroking, where I'd stand in front of a mirror, and while holding something for support (like a chair or a door handle), I'd mimic how stroking is on the ice, which is great because the muscles are used in almost exactly the same way on the ice. Obviously I cannot do this without using my ankles, so I'm looking for alternative exercises that will work in pretty much the same way on ice.

I know the glutes can be worked out using side leg extensions, and the feeling is pretty much the same as off-ice stroking. I don't know what to do about the quad muscles though. I know about single leg raises, but though I feel my quads contracting, it's nowhere near the feeling that I get on the ice. Are there exercises that mimic the "knee bend" effect on the quads that don't require being on one's feet?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think you should be focusing on trying to mimic the same feeling you get. In fact, most skaters off ice strength workouts are aimed at diversifying movement patterns to lower injury risk. As long as you're keeping your muscles strong, don't worry about it. Any strength exercises you can do properly without pain will be good for you.