Online Video Viewing Habits | Golden Skate

Online Video Viewing Habits

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have started this thread to ask for some advice, but decided to give it a broad title so that the thread can continue to be used once my discussion has run it's course.

One of the things I am going to do during the off-season is write an update for an early Fan Fest thread about a skater that I liked back in the day. There was a lot of activity when the thread was first started, but then it dried up and there have been no new posts for the best part of a decade. The Original Post is still just an introductory paragraph, and the poster has not signed in for over 5 years. So, I would like to flesh out the Original Post, even if it is unlikely to be read.

The skater has been retired for a couple of quads now. But, I have came across a recent YouTube video that her boyfriend filmed of her back on the ice for the first time in quite a few years. And judging by the state of the blades when she showed us them on the way to the rink, it has genuinely been a long time since they were used. It is an interesting video to watch, as it shows what she can still do. Put it like this: she did not look as rusty as her blades! And for that reason, I would like to include this video in the video list. However, I clicked through to the channel to see what else was on it, and the content is rather questionable.

So, I would like to know whether people tend to look at the other videos on a YouTube channel when they watch a video. Or whether they just watch the video, and then go and do other things.

I tend to do the latter. The only time I look at the other videos on a channel is if it is obvious that the uploader has a personal connection to the skater, or even is the skater themselves. Just to check if there are any additional videos of the skater that have not been labelled in a way that a search for the skater's name would find.

However, I realise that I am rather old fashioned in the way I use the internet. I admit that I am out of touch with how the kids of today use it. This whole concept of wanting to follow people that upload videos is totally alien to me. Or even wanting to make videos.

Indeed, this week I have been writing an update to one of my own Fan Fests, and I have been getting really frustrated with the sheer number of rubbish videos there are about the skater that have been uploaded to YouTube channels which have names that sound like they could be news organisations, but are actually just normal people who have delusions of grandeur.

So, please share what you tend to do. Your replies will help me decide whether to include this video in the Fan Fest's video list.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I tend to look up what I want/need then move on but this is a matter of time for me since I have a lot to do in a day.. I will occasionally move further from a music video just to see what else is referenced but I find this is rarely (tho not always) fruitful. Hope this helps..

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I usually look at just the referenced video, not the channel.

If you think a channel is questionable, you can note that when you post a link to the video. Then watchers can make up their own minds whether to avoid the video, avoid the rest of the channel, or dive in to the depths of the Youtube cesspool.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I usually just watch the referenced video. If it turns out that a particular channel has a number of videos that I have enjoyed (particularly for figure skating), then I'll add it to my subscriptions.