Ottawa to Host Skate Canada 2020 | Golden Skate

Ottawa to Host Skate Canada 2020

DonnaR

On the Ice
Skate Canada announced that Ottawa will be the host for 2020 Skate Canada from October 30 to November 1st. Here is the link to the press release.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I may do my third SCI, if I can make it fit my budget. About a 90 minute flight from me and I've never been to Ottawa. Always prefer when it's in an actual city and in this case, the capitol of a country.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m so excited!! Although it probably means I’m going to have to choose between skating and taking my daughter trick or treating 😭

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Nice to hear! I'll be considering going to either SC or SA next year :biggrin:

DonnaR

On the Ice
TD place is nice, except the closest hotel is a 20ish minute walk.

I noticed there weren't any hotels right by the venue. I checked the TD Place website and OC Transpo offered free rides 3 hours before and 3 hours after the event if you have tickets. I'm not sure how it works exactly but here is the the link to the TD Place direction information.

A 20 minute walk at that this time of year should be OK, not so much in the winter time in Ottawa!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i went to nationals to see my chiddy :) in ottawa .... in the winter time ;)

yes.. no hotels close to td place

and yes... transport by bus was pretty convenient to get there and free.

HOWEVER : at the end of the evening... there was just NO buses... i mean.. there were but they were full of people. As i love to walk, i just walked all the way up for about 30 minutes to get to a grocery store then my hotel. i guess i could have cabbed up but the walk was fine for me.

after that happened on the saturday night (friday was fine), i decided to walk down to the rink for the gala and back up as well afterwards, taking different streets to see the city... for instance, I walked near the Rideau Canal on the way down to the gala.

Unless you have a medical condition, i think it was a good thing for me to walk around, considering i was sitting down for hours at the rink and then in the bus back home

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you want to start looking into accommodations -AirBnb has some lodging options closer to the arena. I got one about a 10 minute walk from the TD Place Arena.

It doesn't look like Ottawa's subway system is as expansive as Montreal or even Toronto.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I could drive this, so a maybe for me. I'll need to see where Skate America ends up first.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I could drive this, so a maybe for me. I'll need to see where Skate America ends up first.

Skate America looked much better attended this year than in most recent years. Maybe Vegas should be a permanent location. Or at least rotate with a good East Coast location, such as Boston. Heck, have those two alternate for SA and Nationals.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you want to start looking into accommodations -AirBnb has some lodging options closer to the arena. I got one about a 10 minute walk from the TD Place Arena.

It doesn't look like Ottawa's subway system is as expansive as Montreal or even Toronto.

Ottawa doesn't have a subway system at all. Just buses and light rail train.

Ziotic

Medalist
Ottawa doesn't have a subway system at all. Just buses and light rail train.

Incorrect! The subway system opened in September of this year. It however does not service the lansdown area yet, which is where the venue is.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Incorrect! The subway system opened in September of this year. It however does not service the lansdown area yet, which is where the venue is.

No, the LTR opened in September. Light rail is not the same as a subway system. Ottawa has a light rail system, not a subway.

macy

Record Breaker
an 8 hour drive for me...tempting. anyone know when Skate America will be announced?