Overall Fan Fest Index, Links to Skaters

Ic3Rabbit

Le professionnel d'élite
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was the Original Post in this thread that I was talking about, not the OP of Alexander's Fan Fest.

If a post gets edited, a sentence appears at the end of the post that says when it was last edited. And, if you are the poster or a Mod, this becomes a link which takes you to the post history, telling you how many times it has been edited, and what the differences are. Just the same as the page history on Wikipedia pages.

Sorry for any confusion caused by me not being clear as to what I was talking about.

CaroLiza_fan

It's ok and makes sense now. Thank you! :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I have been tasked with making the Fan Fest OP's more user-friendly for search engines, so that they will be displayed more prominently in search results. ...

CaroLiza_fan, I have copied the above from your post in the Fan Fest rules thread.

Thank you for your work on the FF OPs.
I hope that your efforts will be successful in bringing new eyeballs to GS.

I do have a suggestion -- based on the Zagitova OP that you have just updated.

Absolute Personal Best ScoreAbsolute Season’s Best Score

Just to let you know that I have updated the Original Post. ...

I see that you are highlighting "Absolute Personal Best" and "Absolute Season's Best" scores.
I recall from previous discussions that it is your individual (and unusual, IMO) preference to focus on "absolute" stats -- as opposed to ISU Personal Bests and ISU Season's Bests.
Given that you are the one who will be putting in a ton of work on many GS OPs, it is your prerogative to stick with your own preference.

That said, I am concerned that you potentially are going to cause confusion for some new users of GS (as well as some existing ones) -- those who are accustomed to focusing on ISU Personal Bests and ISU Season's Bests, especially when wanting to come as close as possible to making apples-to-apples comparisons among skaters from different countries.

In the interest of the goal of user-friendliness, my suggestion is that you add a sentence/caveat spelling out very explicitly that "Absolute" PBs and SBs have nothing to do with ISU PBs and SBs.

I think in many cases, "Absolute" PBs and SBs will be from domestic competitions. (Zagitova is an example.)
Some of us will consider it not very meaningful to compare domestic scores from one country to domestic scores from another country.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan, I have copied the above from your post in the Fan Fest rules thread.

Thank you for your work on the FF OPs.
I hope that your efforts will be successful in bringing new eyeballs to GS.

I do have a suggestion -- based on the Zagitova OP that you have just updated.

I see that you are highlighting "Absolute Personal Best" and "Absolute Season's Best" scores.
I recall from previous discussions that it is your individual (and unusual, IMO) preference to focus on "absolute" stats -- as opposed to ISU Personal Bests and ISU Season's Bests.
Given that you are the one who will be putting in a ton of work on many GS OPs, it is your prerogative to stick with your own preference.

That said, I am concerned that you potentially are going to cause confusion for some new users of GS (as well as some existing ones) -- those who are accustomed to focusing on ISU Personal Bests and ISU Season's Bests, especially when wanting to come as close as possible to making apples-to-apples comparisons among skaters from different countries.

In the interest of the goal of user-friendliness, my suggestion is that you add a sentence/caveat spelling out very explicitly that "Absolute" PBs and SBs have nothing to do with ISU PBs and SBs.

I think in many cases, "Absolute" PBs and SBs will be from domestic competitions. (Zagitova is an example.)
Some of us will consider it not very meaningful to compare domestic scores from one country to domestic scores from another country.

Not necessarily. For the first skater I tried this model out on (Aiza Mambekova) all the Absolute PB's were from Major International Events.

Don't worry, I know that when we are comparing scores from, well, any competitions, we are not comparing like for like. Because there is a subjective aspect to judging, and every competition has different judges.

I just thought that some people would be like me and would be interested to know what the highest scores achieved by the skater were, and that the colour coding would make it easier to find them.

But, if you think it is better without it, I will remove the "Absolute" row from the PB table, as well as the colouring from the Competitive History table.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Actually, I had a look at the next Fan Fest I have been asked to update ASAP (Mikhail Kolyada), and the Original Poster has actually included the links to the skater's PB history on the ISU Results website.

So, I will follow suit and include those links in my template. That way, I can explain that the PB's in the Fan Fests take into consideration more competitions than the ISU do, and at the same time direct people to the ISU's PB's.

But, I've got plans for this afternoon, so it will probably be tomorrow morning when I do it.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
actually, i had a look at the next fan fest i have been asked to update asap (mikhail kolyada), and the original poster has actually included the links to the skater's pb history on the isu results website.

So, i will follow suit and include those links in my template. That way, i can explain that the pb's in the fan fests take into consideration more competitions than the isu do, and at the same time direct people to the isu's pb's. ...

Thank you for your two very prompt responses.

And thank you for coming up with a best-of-both-worlds plan that will accommodate my point of view -- without sacrificing your own. (Again, I am mindful and appreciative that you are the workhorse here. I would not have felt comfortable if you had eradicated your own preference.)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you for your two very prompt responses.

And thank you for coming up with a best-of-both-worlds plan that will accommodate my point of view -- without sacrificing your own. (Again, I am mindful and appreciative that you are the workhorse here. I would not have felt comfortable if you had eradicated your own preference.)

I've just made the changes to the PB section in Alina Zagitova's OP. What are your opinions? Any suggestions on how to improve it further?

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've just made the changes to the PB section in Alina Zagitova's OP. What are your opinions? Any suggestions on how to improve it further?

CaroLiza_fan

I think I already have done enough "meddling" :ghug: (at least for now ;)), so will mention only the following:

Like you, I have noticed that lately the GS software has not been time-stamping new edits to posts.

So I would suggest that you manually add a notation that the OP was most recently updated on Month X Day Y, Year Z.
And I know you are not one to pat yourself on the back, but I would suggest also add that you add your name as the person who did the updating.

If a Google search led someone for the first time ever to GS, and more specifically to Alina's FF:

The brand-new GS user would see at the bottom of Alina's OP:
Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-18-2017 at 04:10 AM.

And it would be potentially confusing that results from Feb and Mar 2017 in fact are in the OP.

Plus the new user would have no way of knowing that when you refer to "I" in your notes, "I" means CaroLiza_fan (and not dorispulaski or The Finn).​

Again, my thanks to you -- and to Doris before you -- for taking on a lot of systematic heavy lifting with the FFs.

Sidebar comments about the absence of automatic time-stamping:
I am not complaining (at all), but I do wonder whether the time-stamping feature got turned off intentionally or not??
During my years at GS, I believe time-stamping originally was On; then it got turned Off (again, I have no idea whether intentionally or not); then On once more; and most recently, back to Off.​

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think I already have done enough "meddling" :ghug: (at least for now ;)),

Hey, I know we have had our differences in opinion over a lot of things, but this conversation has been very productive. So, rather than being angry, I am actually very pleased that you did meddle this time.

Like you, I have noticed that lately the GS software has not been time-stamping new edits to posts.

So I would suggest that you manually add a notation that the OP was most recently updated on Month X Day Y, Year Z.
And I know you are not one to pat yourself on the back, but I would suggest also add that you add your name as the person who did the updating.

If a Google search led someone for the first time ever to GS, and more specifically to Alina's FF:

The brand-new GS user would see at the bottom of Alina's OP:

And it would be potentially confusing that results from Feb and Mar 2017 in fact are in the OP.

Plus the new user would have no way of knowing that when you refer to "I" in your notes, "I" means CaroLiza_fan (and not dorispulaski or The Finn).​

Again, my thanks to you -- and to Doris before you -- for taking on a lot of systematic heavy lifting with the FFs.

Oops! I hadn't thought of that. :eek::

Right, I'll remove all references to me. That was designed for the Fan Fests that I run myself, not for ones that I am editing but which belong to other members.

And, now that the automatic timestamp is gone, I will add that it was updated by CaroLiza_fan on 11[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2017.

Thank you for the good advice. :thank:

Sidebar comments about the absence of automatic time-stamping:
I am not complaining (at all), but I do wonder whether the time-stamping feature got turned off intentionally or not??
During my years at GS, I believe time-stamping originally was On; then it got turned Off (again, I have no idea whether intentionally or not); then On once more; and most recently, back to Off.​

I know! :drama:

I asked a couple of days ago in a PM, and it is not a glitch - it has been turned off. I don't know the reasoning but, like you, I miss it.

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps
Record Breaker
Okay, another very simple technical question nothing to do at all with the ISU::biggrin:

I started the Deanna Stellato/Nate Bartholomay Fan Fest this year, so obviously it has been updated. No fancy charts, but that's not in my skill set:laugh:

It is not "bolded" in the Fan Fest index, even though completely updated. Is that due to lack of charts?

Thanks for all you do, Caro_Liza Fan:clap:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Okay, another very simple technical question nothing to do at all with the ISU::biggrin:

I started the Deanna Stellato/Nate Bartholomay Fan Fest this year, so obviously it has been updated. No fancy charts, but that's not in my skill set:laugh:

It is not "bolded" in the Fan Fest index, even though completely updated. Is that due to lack of charts?

Thanks for all you do, Caro_Liza Fan:clap:

Oh no, nothing like that at all.

I am in the process of making a new external index (it should have been finished and uploaded by now, but it got delayed due to real life). So, in the meantime, the only changes I have been making to the current index are adding links to new Fan Fests, and changes that are specifically requested.

The plan is for both indexes to be available in the future. But, I don't want to do any major changes to the current index until the new index is up as well. Just in case I start editing the internal one and something goes wrong... :p

Once the new index is up, the plan is to go through all the Fan Fests and check the accuracy of the coding (i.e. find out which ones need updated and which don't), and to install the new standardised introductory paragraphs.

So, sorry if it appeared that the index was getting rather neglected. It is all part of a bigger master plan.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just letting you know that I have just done some housekeeping to the Original Post based on recent developments.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Observer
Record Breaker
question :

i am Conrad Orzel's father... but Mango, his step-mom LOL I am not sure how to call her let's say, fruity godmother is the one with the coding knowledge and does ALL the work in the OP... I simply copy and paste what she sends me but it's getting more and more difficult due to the number of characters allowed in GS.

I am simply wondering if Mango could have access to edit directly the OP as well ?
Is it possible that two people can be parents of skaters on the fan fests?

If not, we will find another solution.... but i just thought it was worth asking.

Many thanks,

4everchan aka Conrad's dad LOL (oh lord... I am so not a father figure LOL)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
question :

i am Conrad Orzel's father... but Mango, his step-mom LOL I am not sure how to call her let's say, fruity godmother is the one with the coding knowledge and does ALL the work in the OP... I simply copy and paste what she sends me but it's getting more and more difficult due to the number of characters allowed in GS.

I am simply wondering if Mango could have access to edit directly the OP as well ?
Is it possible that two people can be parents of skaters on the fan fests?

If not, we will find another solution.... but i just thought it was worth asking.

Many thanks,

4everchan aka Conrad's dad LOL (oh lord... I am so not a father figure LOL)

That is too cute an analogy! :)

In situations like this, where more than one member is collaborating on a project, it would be nice if that was possible. But I'm afraid it's not. Only Moderators and the person that posted the thing in the first place can edit posts.

And I am sure you understand why this is the case. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if anybody could edit anybody else's posts. Especially when some of us have very different opinions to others. :eek:

No, although inconvenient at times, I think it's better this way.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Observer
Record Breaker
That is too cute an analogy! :)

In situations like this, where more than one member is collaborating on a project, it would be nice if that was possible. But I'm afraid it's not. Only Moderators and the person that posted the thing in the first place can edit posts.

And I am sure you understand why this is the case. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if anybody could edit anybody else's posts. Especially when some of us have very different opinions to others. :eek:

No, although inconvenient at times, I think it's better this way.

CaroLiza_fan

thanks for the answer and of course, we thought that was the case and totally understand ;)

so in that case, we will find a way to keep conrad's fan fest alive... :)

last question... let's say i go MIA.. .would someone take care of my orphaned son?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
thanks for the answer and of course, we thought that was the case and totally understand ;)

so in that case, we will find a way to keep conrad's fan fest alive... :)

last question... let's say i go MIA.. .would someone take care of my orphaned son?

I suppose that is what I am doing at the minute, updating Fan Fests for other members (and really hoping I am not stepping on people's toes!) Like, Shoma's mother appears to have gone missing, so I was asked to update his Fan Fest.

In extreme circumstances when we know that the current owner of a Fan Fest is definitely not coming back (eg. they have been banned), the thread can be re-allocated. But that is the last resort. And anyway, as far as I know, only gsk8 and Doris can do that. I can't.

But I really hope you don't go missing. You would be genuinely missed!

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Observer
Record Breaker
I suppose that is what I am doing at the minute, updating Fan Fests for other members (and really hoping I am not stepping on people's toes!) Like, Shoma's mother appears to have gone missing, so I was asked to update his Fan Fest.

In extreme circumstances when we know that the current owner of a Fan Fest is definitely not coming back (eg. they have been banned), the thread can be re-allocated. But that is the last resort. And anyway, as far as I know, only gsk8 and Doris can do that. I can't.

But I really hope you don't go missing. You would be genuinely missed!

CaroLiza_fan

okay... note taken... if i go MIA i will advise :) if i get banned, well , it will be obvious... in the meantime, i will keep going.. i guess you and doris and gsk8 have a lot on your plate.. for instance i am very active in chiddy's fanfest of course but have never heard about chiddy's mom 'emma" i hope she is well.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Please fix Sofya to Sofia (I guess it's more correct) and the link for a little Sofia. :)

Done. Sorry for the mistake. :eek::

By the way, I am going to have to go through all the links soon and update them to the new https addresses. Because they are not re-directing and I want people to be as secure as possible.

But, it'll probably be next week, because I'm up to my eyes in it at the moment.

Put it like this: the Cup of China starts in 3 hours, and I haven't even finished the TV Schedule post (that's what I'm doing now); or started making out my Predictions; or even finished watching Skate Canada (still got to watch the Short Dance, Men's SP, and Pairs SP and FS)! :eek:

And I had been planning on watching today's coverage LIVE! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
By the way, I am going to have to go through all the links soon and update them to the new https addresses. Because they are not re-directing and I want people to be as secure as possible.

But, it'll probably be next week, because I'm up to my eyes in it at the moment.

Just letting you all know that the index post has now been updated so that all links use the new https addresses.

And, since I was going through the forum anyway to check that all threads were included, I also took the opportunity to do something else that was overdue.

For those skaters that had accents in their thread title, I updated the titles of threads themselves (not the links) to remove all accents. This was for two reasons:

1. to make the names in the thread titles match the ISU Bios (the ISU doesn't use accents in the Bios)
  2. to simplify the addresses (which are directly linked to the thread titles)

The aim is to make the threads easier to find by the search engines.

In most cases, it was simply a case of replacing the accented letter in the title with the un-accented letter. But, in two cases, it was slightly different as I had proper rules to follow. Hence, Annabelle Prölß became Annabelle Proelss and Nikolaj Sørensen became Nikolaj Soerensen for the titles and addresses.

Please note that the accents remain in the names in the index post, as they should be included when referring to the skater within the original post of their Fan Fest.

I still have some formatting that I want to do to the index post, such as correcting name orders, capitalising surnames and adding accents that were missed. But, the most important part has been done.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Hello,
I am the mother of the Megumi Tsutsumi / Devin Dickey thread but that doesn't appear to be on the index.
Is there a way to add it on there?
Thank you!!