Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline

chuckm

Record Breaker
I know I might get shot and how commentators, posters here, Dave Lease and Co. say they enjoyed Worlds and that it wa pure and that there was joy but I missed China and Russia especially in the pairs. I know Alexa is feisty and wanted a medal - gold here but without China and Russia the level was lower. The team that medalled do not have the speed or amplitude of Sui and Han or the top 3 Russians. Since the last quadrennial the tech levels have gone down. Timothy and Ashley try triple loops but nothing like the triple lutzes of Duhamel and Radford. And this year I think, think, Sui and Han were the only team really doing super hard content - quad twist. The US deserved gold here out of those who skated and that is the reality. They won gold, and yes it based on who is there at worlds for whatever reason but the pairs level was not so divine with no disrespect to the medallists.

Your entire post is a disrespect to the medallists.
Duhamel and Radford with their non-synchronized 3zs have been gone for four years.
MT/M haven't been able to skate a pair of clean programs this season and weren't here.
Walsh/Michaud are a size mismatch and were here and that's about all. James/Radford skated decently in the FS, but their SP was a mess. They were lucky to get a medal because Ashley was unlucky enough to sustain a concussion and CG/LD had to withdraw.

Alexa and Brandon were here, and they skated their best pair of programs ever, and truly deserved that gold medal. The Russians were not here, and we all know why. We probably won't be seeing them again any time soon. The Chinese have no up-and-coming pairs, and I doubt we will see Sui/Han again. What you saw at Worlds 2022 is what you're going to get for the forseeable future.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I really didn't understand why C/J were shafted, as you said! It was terrible. And after already missing out on Worlds due to the makeup issue when they had some good momentum... But I don't think they are going to give up so easily. I would be very surprised if they didn't come back next season.
I am so terribly upset I was right. 🥲🥲🥲🥲

Barb

Record Breaker
Alexa and Brandon were here, and they skated their best pair of programs ever, and truly deserved that gold medal. The Russians were not here, and we all know why. We probably won't be seeing them again any time soon. The Chinese have no up-and-coming pairs, and I doubt we will see Sui/Han again. What you saw at Worlds 2022 is what you're going to get for the forseeable future.
S/H already said they want to continue, they'll just take a break. If Aliona, Eric and Vanessa continued to compete, I don't know why you don't believe that S/H could continue too.

chuckm

Record Breaker
They have both been plagued with injuries. I doubt they will make it to the next Olympics.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gosh, is there even going to be next season for pair skating? Or is this it?

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I am so terribly upset I was right. 🥲🥲🥲🥲
WHAT??!?!??! Noooooooooooo!!
I am in shock!! So sad! Why?! US Pairs went from being a gold mine of excitement to ... an empty well?!

Edited to add: I see Brian Johnson is retiring from competitive figure skating, but Jessica Calalang has not announced any retirement. If Ashley Cain quits due to safety reasons, could LeDuc team up with Calalang? Or what about Danny O'Shea and Calalang? I suppose O'Shea is looking for a partner who can land the SBS jumps, though... I don't know, I'm just crushed! C/J were my favorite US team and they were world-class other than the SBS.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WHAT??!?!??! Noooooooooooo!!
I am in shock!! So sad! Why?! US Pairs went from being a gold mine of excitement to ... an empty well?!

Edited to add: I see Brian Johnson is retiring from competitive figure skating, but Jessica Calalang has not announced any retirement. If Ashley Cain quits due to safety reasons, could LeDuc team up with Calalang? Or what about Danny O'Shea and Calalang? I suppose O'Shea is looking for a partner who can land the SBS jumps, though... I don't know, I'm just crushed! C/J were my favorite US team and they were world-class other than the SBS.
I’ve heard that Danny and Jessica skated together in novice and a reunion is considered unlikely.

I’m trying to make a list in US pairs thread of who’s available

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
S/H already said they want to continue, they'll just take a break. If Aliona, Eric and Vanessa continued to compete, I don't know why you don't believe that S/H could continue too.
S/H pieced together their last quad, seemingly hanging on for the gold medal, for which they had to strategize bringing back the quad twist. @Skater Boy's previous commentary stating that Sui/ Han had their quad twist this season, is wrong. AFAIK, S/H wielded their quad twist specifically for the Olympics, not all season. They didn't even participate a full season, having competed at only one GP, on purpose.

S/H have their gold and their glory. Their country should allow them to retire and do shows, if that's what they prefer. I don't see their jumps improving, due to the injuries. And they won't get any younger after taking a break.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve heard that Danny and Jessica skated together in novice and a reunion is considered unlikely.

I’m trying to make a list in US pairs thread of who’s available
It's about finding good matches that can work. Not just about who's available.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's about finding good matches that can work. Not just about who's available.
However, a potential partner must be available before a good match can be made.

Seeing a list of who is available also serves as a reminder of what the potential is for future pairs — not a small thing, given the alarmingly short list of pairs on the current ISP list.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
However, a potential partner must be available before a good match can be made.

Seeing a list of who is available also serves as a reminder of what the potential is for future pairs — not a small thing, given the alarmingly short list of pairs on the current ISP list.
Sure that's fine to see a fan-created list of 'available' skaters. However, skaters looking for a new partner aren't necessarily going to find or match up with anyone on that list simply because it's a list of U.S. skaters who are no longer partnered. I say that because names and matches are bandied about sometimes quite unrealistically. For e.g., I mentioned Jess & Danny because they are in the same training camp, and apparently available, and also they were partnered previously. Yet, someone has pointed out they heard that's not a possibility, which might be due to Jess/Danny's former novice pairs partnership not breaking up amicably.

So, aside from some fan-suggested pairings obviously not being good physical or logistical matches, there's usually additional under-the-surface reasons we wouldn't be aware of.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The suggestion wasn’t to make a list & then suggest pairings. It was simply to make a list of those currently without partners. Personally, i would find that interesting, because i haven’t been keeping up on the status of recent pairs skaters who no longer are on the ISP list.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Your entire post is a disrespect to the medallists.
Duhamel and Radford with their non-synchronized 3zs have been gone for four years.
MT/M haven't been able to skate a pair of clean programs this season and weren't here.
Walsh/Michaud are a size mismatch and were here and that's about all. James/Radford skated decently in the FS, but their SP was a mess. They were lucky to get a medal because Ashley was unlucky enough to sustain a concussion and CG/LD had to withdraw.

Hardly disrespectful. Don't be so dramatic. I was jut stating an opinion. Everyone has their biases, leanings, faves etc. I recognize the winners were those there competing. I guess I just think of the other side. This was not about doping why thRUssians other than maybe Valieva not being at worlds. And mabe it doesn't matter because what happened happened. I do think we need t separate world politics and sport - I mean not put our anger with a nations politics against it is citizens/athletes. Also, learn to appreciate or respect different styles.

My post predicted a a reaction like this by some. I have come to learn this forum has very strong opinions. Regardless right or wrong, pairs will be different with limited Chinese and Russian teams if Russia is allowed to compete.

Now we can wait and see what Alexa will do next. Will Eric and VAnessa continue? Will Sui and Han compete again.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
I do think we need t separate world politics and sport
Russia has not separated sports from politics for decades and right now blatantly uses its athletes as propaganda tools to support war that has already led to recorded crimes against humanity.
So what is your opinion exactly? Shall we, the goodies, turn a blind eye to this because we do separate world politics and sports - and keep providing the aggressor country more ground to spread its propaganda?
Just asking.

By the way, I can't wait for Moskvina's pairs to come back. But they are young and they can afford waiting for a better reason to come back than winning medals for Putin imo.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up
Don't worry, the post-Olympics season always looks like that. Or, almost always :)

Last edited: