Polina Kostiukovich & Aleksei Briukhanov | Golden Skate

Polina Kostiukovich & Aleksei Briukhanov

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Polina Andreevna Kostiukovich (Russian: Полина Андреевна Костюкович) and Aleksei Aleksandrovich Briukhanov (Russian: Алексей Александрович Брюханов) are former Russian pair figure skaters. Polina was born on 7 March 2003 in St. Petersburg, Russia. Aleksei was born 31st May 2002 in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Polina and Aleksei's partnership began in March 2020, after splitting up with Dmitrii Ialin (Mar 2020) and Stanislava Vislobokova (Feb 2020) respectively. Their partnership ended in January 2022 at the initiative of Aleksei and the Russian Figure Skating Federation. Aleksei will continue skating in pairs with Yulia Artemeva, under the tutelage of Pavel Sliusarenko and his team in Perm. Polina officially retired from competitive figure skating in January 2023.

Pronounced
ℙ𝕒𝕦𝕝-𝕖𝕖-𝕟𝕦𝕙 𝔸𝕙𝕟-𝕕𝕣𝕒𝕪-𝕪𝕖𝕧-𝕟𝕦𝕙 𝕂𝕠-𝕤𝕥𝕪𝕠𝕠-𝕜𝕦𝕙-𝕧𝕚𝕔𝕙
𝔸𝕙-𝕝𝕖𝕙-𝕜𝕤𝕒𝕪 𝔸𝕝𝕖𝕜-𝕤𝕒𝕙𝕟-𝕕𝕣𝕒-𝕧𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝔹𝕣-𝕖𝕪𝕠𝕠-𝕜𝕒𝕙-𝕟𝕦𝕧

Previously, Polina is 2x world junior medalist, Junior Grand Prix Final silver medalist, 2x junior national medalist, 3x champion, and 9x medalist of the Russian cup with Dmitrii Ialin. Alexei is Russian national elder age champion and St. Petersburg junior champion with Stanislava Vislobokova.

Together, they became St. Petersburg junior champions 2020, 2x Russian junior cup champions 2020, 2x JGP bronze medalists 2021, junior national team members 2021-22 and placed 4th and 6th at junior nationals in 2021 and 2022 respectively.

They were coached by the team the Velikovs in St Petersburg during season 2020-2021, and Nina Mozer in Moscow during season 2021-2022. Their previous coaches include the Velikovs (Polina 2016-2021), Konstantin Bezmaternyh (Aleksei 2016-2018), Oleg Vasiliev (Aleksei 2018-2020) and Alina Pisarenko (Polina in singles up until 2016).

Polina's allskaters profile: https://allskaters.info/polina_kostyukovich/
Alexei's allskaters profile: https://allskaters.info/alexey_bryukhanov/

Polina's wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polina_Kostiukovich

Polina's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/polina_kostiukovich_2003/
Alexei's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/__briukhanov__/

:cheer::cheer:Instagram fanpage: https://www.instagram.com/kostiukovichxbriukhanov/ :cheer: :cheer:

Though the partnership has ended, any questions can be messaged to @kostiukovichxbriukhanov on instagram or @quintupletwist on twitter.

Interviews:
https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...bez_skandala_Intervju_Kostukovich_i_Bruhanova

Alternative spellings: (the official instagram's use "Polina Kostiukovich" and "Alexei Briukhanov")
Polina, Paulina, Pauline, Paolina
Andreevna, Andreyevna, Andreievna
Kostiukovich, Kostyukovich, Kostiiukovich
Alexei, Alexey, Aleksei, Aleksey, Lesha, Lyosha
Aleksandrovich, Alexandrovich
Briukhanov, Bryukhanov

Hope to see a lot of fierce ponytail action from this team for years to come! It was a great joy to witness their time together and we wish them all the best in their future separate paths.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Polina Andreevna Kostiukovich (Russian: Полина Андреевна Костюкович) and Alexei Briukhanov (Russian:Алехеи Бриукчанов) are Russian pair figure skaters. Polina was born on 7 March 2003 in St. Petersburg, Russia. Alexei was born 21st May 2002 in St. Petersburg, Russia. They teamed up in the summer of 2020 after splitting with their previous partners.

In season 2019-20, Alexei competed on the JGP with Stanislava Vislobokova while Polina was 5th at junior nationals with Dmitri Ialin. Previously, Kostiukovich/Ialin were 2x world junior medalists, JGPF 2018 silver medalists, and 2x jr national medalists.

They are coached by Liudmila, Nikolai and Vasilii Velikov. Briukhanov was recently coached by the team of Tamara Moskvina before switching to the Velikovs to train with Polina.

Previously, Polina competed a quad twist with Dmitri Ialin and in an interview in summer of 2020, claims to have done it off ice with Briukhanov.

Post will be updated later with more details.

Thank you for making the thread for them. :thumbsup:

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
No problem! Though I will need some help compiling the information. This is my first time creating a thread in golden skate and there is not a lot of information online about Alexei Briukhanov. Also, are they still coached by the Velikovs? Any info on their programs from St. Petersburg test skates or Russian cup assignments? I presume they will compete in juniors as that was one of the main reasons Polina split with Ialin

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I apologize, as I did not know that the spelling that both he and the ISU use (Briukhanov) would be so incorrect....the same page listed Polya as "Kostyukovich" so some things lost in translation there probably. In any news, the op has been updated.

The partnership seems to be moving ahead nicely. They recently won the junior pairs event at a local St Petersburg competition. Polina looks to have grown up and though we don't have videos, she and Lesha seems to be doing well. They scored 189.75 - I know they will have to replicate this internationally with consistency, but this score would have had them comfortably second at junior worlds this year.

Panfilova/Rylov have moved up and are injured, Akhanteva seems to be having growing issues and Akhanteva/Kolesov are struggling with lifts and jumps, we haven't seen Mukhametzyanova/Mironov yet, Artemeva/Nazarychev recently won stage 1 (with a gorgeous short program) but still inconsistent and with two recycled programs. Of course there is time for an unknown team to rise, however if Polina and Alexei are doing well then this could be a great debut season for them - like that of Mishina/Galliamov.

Podium photos and scores (social distancing and masks! yes!): https://www.instagram.com/p/CFmAInBJvpk/
A photo from the competition - no costumes yet but the lively Polya is back! Seems like an interesting concept: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFmOWBqpLim/

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, I wouldn’t say that they ‘swapped’ partners, because Ialin wasted a few months with Valeria Ponosova, whereas Vislobokova wasted a few months with Andrei Shaderkov. In August they were still with those partners, which means they lost roughly six months in comparison with Kostiukovich/Briukhanov.

I am wondering whether Ialin is too short for Vislobokova. Vislobokova is much taller/more robustly built than Kostiukovich, and last season he struggled with Kostiukovich. We will see how they do.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nice skate from Polina and Alexei today. Dare I say it, I think this partnership works better for her than her previous one. Briukhanov seems better able to handle her and take advantage of her petite size with some very impressive lifts, especially.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
They have a very nice triple twist! Polina is basically a horizontal line in the air. I think a 4Tw is quite feasible at some point.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Nice skate from Polina and Alexei today. Dare I say it, I think this partnership works better for her than her previous one. Briukhanov seems better able to handle her and take advantage of her petite size with some very impressive lifts, especially.
I agree. I think Polina overshadows both of her partners in terms of charisma, but at least the age difference in this team makes it a bit easier for them to have chemistry in the long term. It seems that for a strong and stable but short guy like Ialin, even a girl as small as Polina would be too tall for him by now. Ialin admitted, unsurprisingly, that Polina was being starved last season to prevent puberty/outgrowing him/lose weight. Her energy and elements look much better now. As Polina began to grow, Dima struggled with throws, and she often had to save it, sacrificing GOE in the process. Their twist also wasn't the best, especially in the takeoff. Looking back at pictures from 2018, it always seemed like this was not a team meant to last into seniors, possibly as Ialin could not find another partner small enough.

I wish Polina would get a more unique costume that isn't a black pantsuit. She says she has a dress for the free. We will see. But this score is very good, and they might be in the top 5 at jr nationals. I really like this program, and I think this partnership can go far. I know I bring Mishina/Mirzoev up way too much when talking about Kostiukovich/Ialin, but I just can't help the comparisons. I wouldn't mind at all if eventually K/B had the success of M/G. I think Nastia Mishina is an incredible fighter and very talented and skilled, however I think Polina is also a fighter and has more natural talent. Therefore, if all goes well, Milan 2026 is calling.

Their 3Twist today was amazing. Polya says they did quad off ice. Their throw was stunning. I wonder how her triple jumps are doing.

hanca

Record Breaker
I disagree about the chemistry. To me it seemed that Kostiukovich has chemistry with both her partners. Ok, in the first season with Ialin, the age difference looked a bit big because she was such a tiny child, but the last season or two there was no visible problem with their chemistry. But I agree that the partnership with Briukhanov works much better for her. The reason is the size difference. While the size difference is not absolute necessity (Sui/Han and Savchenko/Szolkovy managed without having a huge size difference), there is no denying that a size difference makes things easier. While Briukhanov could lift Vislobokova and Ialin could lift Kostiukovich, when Briukhanov is lifting Kostiukovich, it looks so effortless and so easy...like if he could hold her up forever. It makes it easier to watch, when we are not worrying about the girl surving the lift! Doing elements with ease gives it the wow factor. And it is helpful that they have time to stay in juniors to gel; in this regard it is much harder for Ialin, having to gel with a new partner while doing already seniors.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Free skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvQoayEKcc

Once again, I would like to note that the score they had here as well as the score they had at the St. Petersburg competition would have had them solidly in silver medal position at jr worlds last year. This is a new team. Not sure about this particular program and Alexei has a lot of work to do in performance (like Ialin) but I think their potential for the future is incredible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you, it has been updated. If anyone happens to know Alexei's middle name, then that would be great. ...

His patronymic is Александрович, per this federation document:

(In your OP, you already noted that there can be multiple variations of transliterations, and I will steer clear of giving a transliteration for the patronymic -- I have no idea which exact one the skater himself would use.)

... Alexei was born 21st May 2002 ...

According to the same document, his date of birth is 31 May, 2002.

Last edited: