Positive Test In Athlete's Village | Golden Skate

Positive Test In Athlete's Village

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve seen several reports of athletes having to drop out due to positive tests. The feds were able to send extra alternate gymnasts because if one tests positive the whole team is out. Don’t know what they do about teams like basketball.

Amei

Record Breaker
I’ve seen several reports of athletes having to drop out due to positive tests. The feds were able to send extra alternate gymnasts because if one tests positive the whole team is out. Don’t know what they do about teams like basketball.

Yep, from what I've read: Coco Gauff of the US has tested positive, 2 South African soccer (football) players have tested positive in the village, and 6 British athletes are in isolation after close contact with someone

The feds were able to send extra alternate gymnasts because if one tests positive the whole team is out.

Do you mean the whole team isn't out if someone tests positive?

Don’t know what they do about teams like basketball.

I don't know, because unlike gymnastics a sport like Basketball if someone tests positive then everyone would probably been classified as 'close contact' to the person that tests positive.

icybear

Medalist
The whole thing is just bonkers. No audience but they've been holding ice shows with capacity that only rank second to Russia in recklessness.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep, from what I've read: Coco Gauff of the US has tested positive, 2 South African soccer (football) players have tested positive in the village, and 6 British athletes are in isolation after close contact with someone

Do you mean the whole team isn't out if someone tests positive?

I don't know, because unlike gymnastics a sport like Basketball if someone tests positive then everyone would probably been classified as 'close contact' to the person that tests positive.
The gymnastics team and alternates have been in their own bubbles, to include coaches. They were allowed to name 5 alternates this year (instead of the normal 2) so the whole team could be replaced in the event of a positive test.

I don’t follow basketball.

Amei

Record Breaker
The gymnastics team and alternates have been in their own bubbles, to include coaches. They were allowed to name 5 alternates this year (instead of the normal 2) so the whole team could be replaced in the event of a positive test.

That's cool that they've built in alternative options

I don’t follow basketball.

I don't either, I know the basic mechanics of the game to know that if 1 person on the team were to test positive in all likelihood the rest of the team should get DQed as a close contact

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australian tennis player Alex de Minaur had to withdraw with a positive test.

This Olympics should not be going ahead.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
To make matters worse, 21 teammates had close contacts with the three confirmed patients. They should self-quarantine for 14 days from now, which means that South Africa's football team could miss the first match of the Olympics.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
A US female gymnast tested positive, its been said she's an alternate.

New Olympic drinking game: take a shot everytime someone's reported as testing positive :rofl:

taikwan

On the Ice
and I think by now everyone knows its Kara Eaker who tested positive and officially out of the Olympics.

Azikin

Medalist
Well so far our small Czech Republic is ahead of everyone with 4 positive cases so far.. :rolleye:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Would it make you feel better if I said the Dutch are doing worse? *le sigh* And now they’re making official complaints (together with teamUSA, apparently) about the circumstances of their quarantaine. Not sure what they thought would happen, but they should’ve known the Japanese idea of quarantaine would be a strict one.

Andrea82

Medalist
An Italian rower tested positive yesterday (28th July) just before the Men Four's final. At 6 am the alternate was woken up and been told he would have needed to run the final. The other 3 teammates were allowed to run in the final. In the end they won bronze.