possible blade problems? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

possible blade problems?

viamarkable

Rinkside
Very similar boots/blades. You could have gone either way. Some fitters are very conservative in their approach. Since you are still growing rapidly they probably just went with the least costly option that met your skill needs. You likely won't be breaking a boot down before you outgrow it. They don't want to scare the parents off too quickly with the expensive stuff. They get the skaters hooked and then after they start working on Axels and doubles they hit you with the custom boots ($1000) and Wilson Gold Seal blades ($750). Just kidding, well...sort of.

Our Elle was a completely different boot, though similar in stiffness. They have revamped the line so much over the last couple of years going more towards the synthetic uppers and soles, and away from leather uppers and soles (our Elle was all leather with an LCL-- L (layered) C (cork) L (leather) sole instead of the Fusion sole. My skater was in synthetic boots after that until the most recent one. We had to order a full custom to get leather again. Our (also VERY conservative) fitter prefers leather as it molds better to the foot instead of pinching in on it. It's also much more expensive as I mentioned above.
Oh wow! Jackson changes so much, so often. haha. I believe the Evo was made to replace the Artiste, especially since almost everything is the same. I used to have boots that were leather all around too! Then came into the Artistes. A side question (since you seem like you know a lot), when you do start working on axels and doubles, are custom boots really needed?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh wow! Jackson changes so much, so often. haha. I believe the Evo was made to replace the Artiste, especially since almost everything is the same. I used to have boots that were leather all around too! Then came into the Artistes. A side question (since you seem like you know a lot), when you do start working on axels and doubles, are custom boots really needed?
No. You don't need customs ever sometimes. It depends on your particular foot and what works for you at that level.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ohh, i see. how do you know if you need them or do you not really ever know?
I just told you. It's based on YOUR FOOT and if it requires a custom boot b/c no other stock boot will work for you. Also, once you get to a certain level (elite as in triple triples and quads), many skaters feet are a mess at that point and they want/need customs.

Someone like you shouldn't need them unless your foot is unable to comfortably fit in a stock boot, and even then it would be semi-custom most likely.

Custom boots are not cheap. I had to have 3 pairs every year-15 months when I was competing elite (2 pair singles skates, 1 pair dance boots).

viamarkable

Rinkside
I just told you. It's based on YOUR FOOT and if it requires a custom boot b/c no other stock boot will work for you. Also, once you get to a certain level (elite as in triple triples and quads), many skaters feet are a mess at that point and they want/need customs.

Someone like you shouldn't need them unless your foot is unable to comfortably fit in a stock boot, and even then it would be semi-custom most likely.

Custom boots are not cheap. I had to have 3 pairs every year-15 months when I was competing elite (2 pair singles skates, 1 pair dance boots).
Ohh ok. that makes more sense. Also what do you mean by "many skaters feet are a mess"?

Sibelius

On the Ice
Ic3 is correct as always, but I'll expand based on my skater's experience.

Custom boots are really only needed if you can't get the proper fit in a stock boot. Yes, once you start work on an Axel and doubles you do need a better fit all around and that can come with a custom boot. But there are lots of skaters out there at very high levels doing triples while wearing boots, especially Edeas that aren't really custom. So it's not an absolute and all has to do with how your feet fit in a boot. The other consideration is growth rate. If you can fit in a stock boot while your feet are still growing you (well whoever is paying for them) are much better off not having to spend the money every 6 months on a new custom.

In our particular situation, my skater has a wide ball and a narrow heel and the stock Jackson didn't quite fit exactly right, close, but the heel lock that is so important for technique wasn't quite good enough. Our first non stock boot was a Jackson "Rapid Custom" (their label for semi custom) which allowed a split width C(ball)/A(heel) for a perfect fit. There are a few other things they can do with that service which is much cheaper than full custom.

The reason we went to a full custom had to do more with certain aspects of the boot that couldn't be had under the RC program. Her fitter wanted her in a leather boot, she needed additional heel and ankle padding, a stronger tongue...so custom was it. We didn't get the full custom until she had most of her doubles down, so it's a long way to go before considering a custom boot unless you have feet that don't fit well in a stock boot. Oh, and she had slowed her growth down a bit. Although while we were waiting the 3 months for them to be built she did grow. We were very lucky our fitter was able to work some magic and get her a comfortable fit. Still, probably by Summer we'll be ordering a new pair.

You will know when you have enough experience skating that something isn't quite right. Then you work with your coach and your fitter to find the best solution to the problem. You definitely don't need to worry about it for quite awhile so concentrate on practice and working on your skills with the equipment you have.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ohh ok. that makes more sense. Also what do you mean by "many skaters feet are a mess"?
Skating for years and years at a top level and everything that goes with it stuffed in a leather boot will ruin your feet quickly. AKA many top skaters have or develop "ugly painful feet."

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Skating for years and years at a top level and everything that goes with it stuffed in a leather boot will ruin your feet quickly. AKA many top skaters have or develop "ugly painful feet."
Truth! Painful and hideous feet are part of the territory when you've spent your life with your feet in little concrete foot coffins.

Needing customs is the exception rather than the norm, especially at lower levels.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Typically need customs if you can't get your feet to sit correctly in a stock or semi-custom boot. I wear customs because my ball is a B and my heel is a AAA which is beyond the semi-custom/split width abilities.

viamarkable

Rinkside
Ic3 is correct as always, but I'll expand based on my skater's experience.

Custom boots are really only needed if you can't get the proper fit in a stock boot. Yes, once you start work on an Axel and doubles you do need a better fit all around and that can come with a custom boot. But there are lots of skaters out there at very high levels doing triples while wearing boots, especially Edeas that aren't really custom. So it's not an absolute and all has to do with how your feet fit in a boot. The other consideration is growth rate. If you can fit in a stock boot while your feet are still growing you (well whoever is paying for them) are much better off not having to spend the money every 6 months on a new custom.

In our particular situation, my skater has a wide ball and a narrow heel and the stock Jackson didn't quite fit exactly right, close, but the heel lock that is so important for technique wasn't quite good enough. Our first non stock boot was a Jackson "Rapid Custom" (their label for semi custom) which allowed a split width C(ball)/A(heel) for a perfect fit. There are a few other things they can do with that service which is much cheaper than full custom.

The reason we went to a full custom had to do more with certain aspects of the boot that couldn't be had under the RC program. Her fitter wanted her in a leather boot, she needed additional heel and ankle padding, a stronger tongue...so custom was it. We didn't get the full custom until she had most of her doubles down, so it's a long way to go before considering a custom boot unless you have feet that don't fit well in a stock boot. Oh, and she had slowed her growth down a bit. Although while we were waiting the 3 months for them to be built she did grow. We were very lucky our fitter was able to work some magic and get her a comfortable fit. Still, probably by Summer we'll be ordering a new pair.

You will know when you have enough experience skating that something isn't quite right. Then you work with your coach and your fitter to find the best solution to the problem. You definitely don't need to worry about it for quite awhile so concentrate on practice and working on your skills with the equipment you have.
Makes sense. Thank you so much.

froo

Rinkside
Makes sense. Thank you so much.
I just ordered semi-custom /split size because my heel/ankle are narrow but my toebox is wider, plus have bunions that add width and high arches as well so the boots to fit comfortably would end up too long and/or way too loose around the heel. I’m an adult skater not doing competitions or anything like that. In my Jacksons with heat molding my toebox was ok but it was getting super annoying to try to wear all sorts of padding and inserts and take 20 min to get the skate tight enough so my heel would sit secure and I’d have to redo it again almost every time due to it still being loose or pain from trying to tie too tight etc. I needed to update to a separate blade/boot combo anyway and the additional fee for the narrow heel wider toebox was very reasonable. I think something like $60 or $80 more than stock and 4 week time for what I ordered. It feels like it will address my fit issues without having to do full custom boots. But I trust my skate tech anyway, he has long worked with international competitive skaters (including olympic team) so I assume he knows his business. He doesn’t upsell me on anything even when he could (like more advanced boots bc I’m an adult since I’m very short and light for an adult and I’m old so won’t be doing doubles or anything. He has been right about everything he has recommended/done to help my skate/blade issues in the past so I’m hoping this will give me a better fit with less hassle/pain. I’d definitely suggest to try to find someone you can trust locally who can see you in person who knows what they’re doing. I found mine asking around where people were getting their skates sharpened (ask figure skaters not hockey! )

froo

Rinkside
Oh and about your original, I think people already commented that entry level blades tend to be relatively flat. And that’s pretty true I think, but I feel like I suck at spinning because I suck at spinning primarily rather than totally the blades fault. However for my previous Jackson Frestyles with the aspire xp blade I could do turns and some bad spins. In my case I continued with an 8’ rocker rather than go to a 7’ because I feel like I could develop technique to be able to spin better on any decent intermediate blade first that is the right size. But another issue can be blade size and placement. Because my current boots are a little bit long and there’s empty space in front of my toes, I feel like the rocker is not in the ideal placement - not under the balls of my feet but more close to toes. My new blade is a quarter inch shorter and hoping with the better fitting boots the rocker will be in a better place. Beform, my tech had moved one of my blades by at most a millimeter to one side in the front when I reported I was having a harder time getting on one outside edge than the other. Seemed a miniscule change but that helped with my turns and spins for example. If you find someone in your area they can help you fine-tune your existing equipment for the issues you are having, like blade placement. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I always tell people to find a good pro fitter/figure skating tech in their area, but I do have to say that a few of us here, esp myself because I can comment on myself more are: current or former elite skaters and now pro(latter two for myself). I've lived and breathed this sport for over 30+ years and would never guide anyone wrong or try to "upsell" them. What would I get out of doing that? I don't make a profit from helping and am here on my own valuable time to help and guide others who aren't as knowledgeable and to welcome them to our wonderful sport.. I don't want to see anyone hurt themselves and so on. Just saying.

I hope all are enjoying this sport and welcome to any newbies. :)

Last edited:

viamarkable

Rinkside
Oh and about your original, I think people already commented that entry level blades tend to be relatively flat. And that’s pretty true I think, but I feel like I suck at spinning because I suck at spinning primarily rather than totally the blades fault. However for my previous Jackson Frestyles with the aspire xp blade I could do turns and some bad spins. In my case I continued with an 8’ rocker rather than go to a 7’ because I feel like I could develop technique to be able to spin better on any decent intermediate blade first that is the right size. But another issue can be blade size and placement. Because my current boots are a little bit long and there’s empty space in front of my toes, I feel like the rocker is not in the ideal placement - not under the balls of my feet but more close to toes. My new blade is a quarter inch shorter and hoping with the better fitting boots the rocker will be in a better place. Beform, my tech had moved one of my blades by at most a millimeter to one side in the front when I reported I was having a harder time getting on one outside edge than the other. Seemed a miniscule change but that helped with my turns and spins for example. If you find someone in your area they can help you fine-tune your existing equipment for the issues you are having, like blade placement. :)
My blade came mounted, so idk how i should change it. especially since skate techs in my area i think r VERY far away. I went to canada to get skates :ROFLMAO:

viamarkable

Rinkside
I always tell people to find a good pro fitter/figure skating tech in their area, but I do have to say that a few of us here, esp myself because I can comment on myself more are: current or former elite skaters and now pro(latter two for myself). I've lived and breathed this sport for over 30+ years and would never guide anyone wrong or try to "upsell" them. What would I get out of doing that? I don't make a profit from helping and am here on my own valuable time to help and guide others who aren't as knowledgeable and to welcome them to our wonderful sport.. I don't want to see anyone hurt themselves and so on. Just saying.

I hope all are enjoying this sport and welcome to any newbies. :)
i don't think anyone sells in this area, or i've heard of none from the seattle/bellevua WA area. i go to canada, like a bunch of my other friends for skates cuz there r more shops there. does anyone know of a good fitter/tech in washington state?