Prediction Contest: 6th Entry | Golden Skate

Prediction Contest: 6th Entry

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 6th place field entry

Note: Your name will not be displayed in the vote.

In the past, there was always a "6th place" position for the purpose of moving up a skater/team in the event there was a withdraw. The problem with that is took a lot of man-hours to do and volunteers have real lives :) Now, it just can't be done as everything is automated. We do not have the power to edit your choices.

So if someone withdraws during an event, or right before an event, there is nothing that can be done. However, that simply means that everyone is pretty much in the same boat anyway if that happens.

While we currently have an option for a "6th choice", this is just for your reference and has no bearing whatsoever on the results. The 6th place does not affect the calculations. Like all the Prediction posts say, only your "1st through 5th" choices are counted.

However, the scoring system has not changed. For example:

If your 5th place choice actually places 3rd or 7th, you will get 5 points. If the 5th place choice places 4th or 6th, you get 10 points. If the skater places 5th, you get the maximum of 15 points.

I have heard from some folks that they still want to keep the 6th choices as it serves as a reference if they should want to go back and remove someone that has withdrawn before the thread closes.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I actually liked it the way it was when the new method was first introduced last season. At that time, you could submit predictions for more than just 6 positions (I can't remember if it was 8 or 10).

Of course, only the first 5 names counted towards the scoring. But, it is fun to include a few extra names. Especially when there are lots of people who are capable of getting into the Top 5, and you can't put them all in! If you can include them in your list "just for fun", it kinda helps you feel less guilty for leaving them out of the scoring positions.

Plus, it can be a way of showing your support for somebody you like who is unlikely to finish in the Top 5, but without risking your chances of scoring points.

But, those are just my thoughts.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have heard from some folks that they still want to keep the 6th choices as it serves as a reference if they should want to go back and remove someone that has withdrawn before the thread closes.

Ah, I never thought of it like that.

Yes, that could be useful.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The real issue remains that now that we can no longer get skaters bumped up following withdrawals, it becomes very tedious to play the game if the cut off time remains at one hour.
Before, if you could edit your selection in time, you would. No harm done. If you could not, your skaters would be bumped up following a withdrawal... Your sixth skater would count as 5th... if let's say, skater number 2 in your list had withdrawn. BUT, all the other skaters would also be bumped up..... Now, if your 2nd skater withdraws, you have 4 skaters counting only but also, there is a hole in your prediction selection that will affect your score much greater since there is no bumping up anymore. This is why, I believe that the real factor here is not to have a 6th skater or whatever, but that the cut-off time. If it is too close to the start of the event, it means that those who are available at that precise time (1 hour before) to edit, can always do so, while those who are not, will lose considerable points for withdrawals.
That's the main issue. And as many events happen in Europe or Asia compared to North America, it creates inequity.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
The real issue remains that now that we can no longer get skaters bumped up following withdrawals, it becomes very tedious to play the game if the cut off time remains at one hour.
Before, if you could edit your selection in time, you would. No harm done. If you could not, your skaters would be bumped up following a withdrawal... Your sixth skater would count as 5th... if let's say, skater number 2 in your list had withdrawn. BUT, all the other skaters would also be bumped up..... Now, if your 2nd skater withdraws, you have 4 skaters counting only but also, there is a hole in your prediction selection that will affect your score much greater since there is no bumping up anymore. This is why, I believe that the real factor here is not to have a 6th skater or whatever, but that the cut-off time. If it is too close to the start of the event, it means that those who are available at that precise time (1 hour before) to edit, can always do so, while those who are not, will lose considerable points for withdrawals.
That's the main issue. And as many events happen in Europe or Asia compared to North America, it creates inequity.
There is a separate poll for this, where you can choose if you want the prediction contest to close 1 hour before the event (like it currently does) or you can vote to have it close 24 hours before the event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There is a separate poll for this, where you can choose if you want the prediction contest to close 1 hour before the event (like it currently does) or you can vote to have it close 24 hours before the event.
i know.. but the reason why i am explaining my point of view here is that both are inter-related. anyways.. moving on ;)