Problems finding the ideal skates | Golden Skate

Problems finding the ideal skates

VeeVix

Spectator
Hello,

I am a beginner skater, that recently was advised to shop for new skates as the cheap ones I had were causing me too much pain due to the frequent use from LTS classes. They caused extreme pain in my arches to the point where I had to stop practicing in the middle of class and sit down for a bit. I went to a skate shop where I was fitted for 4.5 W Jackson Entré. I skated a couple of times practicing some backwards drills and my arch pain returned, along with pain at the balls of my feet and some heel ache. I returned to the shop and they punched out the toe box and supplied me with Superfeet insoles. They explained that the insoles hug my heel and provide more cushioning. The insoles did make my heels feel better, but the arch and balls were still an issue. It felt like my arch was not aligning with the insole’s arch. I returned to the shop and they re-measured me, called Jackson, and told me I am a EE in width because I measured at 8.5” around the widest part of my feet. They also noticed that I have a high arch, which at initial fitting was told I have a low arch. Anyway, they said they don’t carry Jackson’s EE and I would have to do a rapid custom. They also provided me with another option to test out at the rink, which still caused pain in the same areas - Risport Light. The heels on these were a little lower so they figured that may help ease the pain at the balls of the feet. I just called them back with the results of that experiment and was told that they called Jackson again and they said there is a problem with the boot where it is causing issues around the balls of the feet. I have to get more details on that but as you can guess, as a beginner taking lessons and having such trouble getting into the right pair of skates, I’m losing hope that there is a solution for me and fear I may have to give up on learning to skate. Has anyone experienced this much trouble? I am a bit frustrated that I wasn’t measured this accurately the first time around. Thank you.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Don't lose heart, there is almost always a solution. And Jackson are not the only boots. Sometimes it takes a while to find the perfect fit, but you'll get there. How did the Risport boots feel?

In the meantime, I would strongly advise doing foot and ankle stretching and strengthening exercises and using either a tennis ball or foot roller on the soles. Should go a fair way to helping alleviate any pain.

Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,

I am a beginner skater, that recently was advised to shop for new skates as the cheap ones I had were causing me too much pain due to the frequent use from LTS classes. They caused extreme pain in my arches to the point where I had to stop practicing in the middle of class and sit down for a bit. I went to a skate shop where I was fitted for 4.5 W Jackson Entré. I skated a couple of times practicing some backwards drills and my arch pain returned, along with pain at the balls of my feet and some heel ache. I returned to the shop and they punched out the toe box and supplied me with Superfeet insoles. They explained that the insoles hug my heel and provide more cushioning. The insoles did make my heels feel better, but the arch and balls were still an issue. It felt like my arch was not aligning with the insole’s arch. I returned to the shop and they re-measured me, called Jackson, and told me I am a EE in width because I measured at 8.5” around the widest part of my feet. They also noticed that I have a high arch, which at initial fitting was told I have a low arch. Anyway, they said they don’t carry Jackson’s EE and I would have to do a rapid custom. They also provided me with another option to test out at the rink, which still caused pain in the same areas - Risport Light. The heels on these were a little lower so they figured that may help ease the pain at the balls of the feet. I just called them back with the results of that experiment and was told that they called Jackson again and they said there is a problem with the boot where it is causing issues around the balls of the feet. I have to get more details on that but as you can guess, as a beginner taking lessons and having such trouble getting into the right pair of skates, I’m losing hope that there is a solution for me and fear I may have to give up on learning to skate. Has anyone experienced this much trouble? I am a bit frustrated that I wasn’t measured this accurately the first time around. Thank you.
Are you an adult, teen?! Male, female? Lighter or heavier side?

I need this info and possibly more to give you a boot style and brand to look at and get fitted for. I have ideas of how to fix your problem but need more info.

Nimyue

On the Ice
IceRabbit will probably be able to give you advice and help finding the perfect boot.

However, I just wanted to commiserate with you a bit. For the first 2 years I skated I wore 4 different boots before finding the ones that work the best for me. You're not alone! Finding the right skate, especially for an adult skater, can be difficult.

Nimyue

On the Ice
It shouldn't be. The problem is that there's not much access to proper skate fitters.
I had custom Jacksons and custom Harlicks with a great fitter. No one could work out why my feet were going numb and I was having the heel bump problems in custom boots. Switched to the Risport and the fitter stretched and punched those, and they are perfect. My feet like the light boot with a lot of padding. I even had padding added to the Jackson. The more fitted style of boot through the ankle and foot just makes my feet really unhappy :shrug: even when it's custom fitted to be the right shape.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I had custom Jacksons and custom Harlicks with a great fitter. No one could work out why my feet were going numb and I was having the heel bump problems in custom boots. Switched to the Risport and the fitter stretched and punched those, and they are perfect. My feet like the light boot with a lot of padding. I even had padding added to the Jackson. The more fitted style of boot through the ankle and foot just makes my feet really unhappy :shrug: even when it's custom fitted to be the right shape.
Was it me who suggested the Risport to you?