Programs skated to the Spoken Word

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
There were a couple of interesting programs - two men's free programs and one free ice dance program - done at the Skate Canada Challenge 2021 competition this past weekend done to the spoken word. The ice dance program was very unusual, Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorense pupils of Dubreuil and Lauzon. They came second after Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. Cool, check it out.

Cutting the ice

Spectator
As long as accompanied by suitable, engaging music so there is something for the skater(s) to interpret. I really enjoyed Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen's programme - the music, the costumes and the dance and the fact that it was novel, but would need to listen a few more times to determine if I liked the words being spoken.

anonymoose_au

Making sequined tie and vest combos cool
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Personally I’ve liked all the spoken word programs I’ve seen. I don’t know why some people hate them so much. At least it’s something different.
I find them majorly distracting, because my brain automatically tries to listen to the words and understand them and then I don't have enough brain power left to focus on the skating. :laugh: Maybe I'd do better with spoken word that's not English?

Also I just found the poem or whatever Gabby and Guillaume skated to unbearably pretenticous, I might be being unfair to it, I'm sure it was in Apple ad that almost made me roll my eyes out of my head :laugh2:

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I find them majorly distracting, because my brain automatically tries to listen to the words and understand them and then I don't have enough brain power left to focus on the skating. :laugh: Maybe I'd do better with spoken word that's not English?

Also I just found the poem or whatever Gabby and Guillaume skated too unbearably pretenticous, I might be being unfair to it, I'm sure it was in Apple ad that almost made me roll my eyes out of my head :laugh2:
You would love this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE0B5uNas4k&list=PLDsQU3UFA4hXMPS-ZioeBFuuxHMm98S0H&index=40

Warning: if anyone liked spoken word programs, watching this may spoil them for you

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Sinead O'Connor rendition of War. Followed by skater saying "Fight the real enemy!" and ripping up a picture of Thomas Bach.

Weathergal

Medalist
I love Gabrielle and Guillaume but wasn't a huge fan of their spoken word program. I'm not completely against them but definitely not my favorite either. I haven't yet seen Laurence and Nikolaj's program (big fan of them, too!) so I'll have to check it out.

A less traditional thing I do like is programs to percussion, which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea either. But more about probably belongs in another thread... :)

kirauza343

On the Ice
I absolutely loooooooved Papadakis and Cizeron’s spoken word program. Before it I thought they were good but that’s the program that really made me a fan. I love me some modern dance and spoken word

Lota

Record Breaker
I think that spoken word programs can be a great idea depending on what is used, but honestly the thing that immediately pops into my head is Ilinykh/Katsalapov's 2012/13 "Ghost" program and that is just... cringe 🙈 It was an interesting experiment, but it didn't really work in my opinion (at least for me). Obviously, it wasn't a poem, just bursts of dialogue between songs, but it's an idea. Maybe somebody could make it work with slightly different material.

Then of course there's spoken word of the poetic kind, which I mostly don't mind. Hurtado/Diaz had a nice program like that in 2014/15.

eppen

Final Flight
Country
Spain
Just found this: a combination of Chaplin's speech from The Great Dictator and Hans Zimmer's music for Inception.

2014-5 season with the first chance to go for lyrics and I think this is a bold choice in that situation when it was still a bit unclear how judges would go for the songs and lyrics in general. Also apparently a political comment on what was happening in HK at the time. About 30% of the programs that season featured lyrics/singing - as a comparison 2019-20 lyrics were used in 63% of the programs.

Yong Yeu Tiffany Lau from Hong Kong