Provisional allotments of ISU Championships 2022 and 2023 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Provisional allotments of ISU Championships 2022 and 2023

DC2003

Rinkside
Yes, I know there were no "official" bids by Canada or the US. But, I wonder whether there was even any consideration by either country to bid for this. It will be simply too long by 2023 for this event not to have been held in North America when other countries and continents will have held the event multiple times by then. Are Canada and the US even interested in hosting Worlds anymore?

macy

Record Breaker
Yes, I know there were no "official" bids by Canada or the US. But, I wonder whether there was even any consideration by either country to bid for this. It will be simply too long by 2023 for this event not to have been held in North America when other countries and continents will have held the event multiple times by then. Are Canada and the US even interested in hosting Worlds anymore?
there was a rumor Detroit would bid for 23 or 24. since 23 won't happen, i'm crossing my fingers hard for 24.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
there was a rumor Detroit would bid for 23 or 24. since 23 won't happen, i'm crossing my fingers hard for 24.
apparently this rumour was for 2024 - as a viewer I definitely think that US Nationals in Detroit had such a big build up to it that it almost felt like they were doing their own mini trial to see if it was a city they could put forward for a Worlds bid. I also think that they will definitely want a home Worlds during Nathan Chen's career (and post Papadakis/Cizeron career where the top spot could be more open to a US team).

macy

Record Breaker
apparently this rumour was for 2024 - as a viewer I definitely think that US Nationals in Detroit had such a big build up to it that it almost felt like they were doing their own mini trial to see if it was a city they could put forward for a Worlds bid. I also think that they will definitely want a home Worlds during Nathan Chen's career (and post Papadakis/Cizeron career where the top spot could be more open to a US team).
it was a great event and the new arena is absolutely gorgeous.

DC2003

Rinkside
I wonder if Canada did not bid since they currently do not have any skaters who are truly competitive for the podium in any discipline. Moore-Towers/Marinaro and Gilles/Poirier could at best place Top 5 in their respective disciplines assuming they are still competing after the 2022 Olympics. It would be difficult raising domestic interest without any homegrown talent.

That does not explain, though, why the US did not bid for 2023. We will be seven years removed from Boston 2016 by then - the same time gap since the prior US based Worlds in Los Angeles in 2009. (And there was only a six year gap between LA and the 2003 DC Worlds.) As of now, the US also has podium contenders in Men's (Chen, Zhou) and Dance (Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue).