• 2023 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Sydney, Australia
  • 2023 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Calgary, Canada
  • 2023 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, Saitama, Japan
Synchronized Skating
  • 2023 ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships, Lake Placid, USA

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A bit strange they didn't give the world championships back to Montreal?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Good to see that they have awarded Sydney the 2023 4CC though, pleased they haven't totally lost a hosting opportunity.
Phew! Glad for Australia and by extension Southern Hemisphere representation. At least the chance for Kiwis to attend a major ISU championship less than 10 hours' flight away is still on the cards for 2023.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Not just that Saitama got it many times, but thrice in 10 years. Strange.

ETA: Pretty much only waiting for Europeans and Worlds being cancelled now.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Financial reasons maybe? Japan's massive fanbase helps too.
I considered that. Still why Saitama specifically? Wasn't it Tokyo in 2007, is that rink not there anymore?

And why not go to Russia for fanbase? Instead we get Scandinavian countries. Not sure. But curious about what people think here.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
All those medals that a whole generation is loosing.....so sad.
If two WC in a row are cancelled what an huge lost for many careers.
Hopefully by the spring there may be a way to get everyone there safely and compete with no audience - March is still five months away and think of what the world looked like five months ago

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As I recall, it was Russia who stepped in, in 2011 when Japan couldn't host the WC due to a horrible earthquake and tsunami. The WC was in April that year. And Russia did host Europeans in 2018. But, I would have expected them to bid for a WC in the coming years.

ruga

Final Flight
All those medals that a whole generation is loosing.....so sad.
If two WC in a row are cancelled what an huge loss for many careers.
The cancellation pretty much depends on the host country that is Sweden in this case and I believe they'll give it a green light. The problem, however, will be if everyone can get there with various restrictions that may still be imposed.

But if it does get get cancelled, that will be a great loss for many skaters (especially the young Russians Anna, Alexandra and Alena, they're arguably the most talented generation of recent times, but due to fast changes in Russian skating none of them may become World champion).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The cancellation pretty much depends on the host country that is Sweden in this case and I believe they'll give it a green light. The problem, however, will be if everyone can get there with various restrictions that may still be imposed.

But if it does get get cancelled, that will be a great loss for many skaters (especially the young Russians Anna, Alexandra and Alena, they're arguably the most talented generation of recent times, but due to fast changes in Russian skating none of them may become World champion).
Exactly. None of them may become worlds champion because of a pandemic. Even for Rika Kihira it's an huge lost. She will have 3 senior seasons without a single worlds medal.
I prefer to see a skater bomb than not getting a medal because of a situation that is out of their hands.

DC2003

Rinkside
I wonder if Montreal or another Canadian city even bid for this. As I commented in another thread, this should have been given to Montreal or Canada to make up for losing Worlds due to circumstances beyond their control. Is Canada even interested in hosting another Worlds? Did the US even try to bid for this? By 2023, it will be seven years since Boston and ten since Canada hosted the event in London. Yet, Saitama will have hosted it three times by then.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I forgot to mention that there is still this big doping thing hanging over everything that the Russians aren't allowed to bid for this type of championships for quite a few years. A shame, as they're good organisers generally and their help in 2011 should also count for something. Not that I don't like watching WC in Japan...always such a joy for a skater to be. They all love to go to Japan. WC in many other countries however also have great audiences.