Qualifying for Worlds 2020 | Golden Skate

Qualifying for Worlds 2020

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Hello

I am looking at the qualifications process for the World 2020, on the ISU site, it looks like they are considering the last few seasons now ?
I am not sure how it works to qualify other then the amount of skaters per country per discipline....

Do any of you have a link or the detailed rules ?
Thanks

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I thought every country automatically has 1 berth and can use it if minimum scores have been accomplished that season? I dont have any links etc just what I knew haha.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Thanks.
Different country has different amount of spots (Russia 3 for ladies and Canada 2 ladies for example) but i don't know who gets the spots in each country, if it is ISU official point system or if the Country decides who they send....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hello

I am looking at the qualifications process for the World 2020, on the ISU site, it looks like they are considering the last few seasons now ?
I am not sure how it works to qualify other then the amount of skaters per country per discipline....

Do any of you have a link or the detailed rules ?
Thanks

First of all, what is the link for what you read???

The different number of spots for different countries is dependent on results at the previous season's world championships.

Not the last few seasons.

Again, it would help to see why you are referring to "the last few seasons now"????

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Your link pertains to ISU World Standings.

ISU World Standings do *not* have a bearing on who qualifies for the world championships -- unless an individual federation happens to choose to use them when selecting the individual federation's team.

There is no ISU requirement for an individual federation to use ISU World Standings when selecting the individual federation's team for the world championships.

Again, the number of Worlds spots per federation is determined by results at the previous season's Worlds. Just the one previous season's Worlds.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Ok.
So it is each country who decides who they will send ? Every country has different rules ? And those rules are not published is that it ?

ribbit

On the Ice
Ok.
So it is each country who decides who they will send ? Every country has different rules ? And those rules are not published is that it ?

Each country decides which skaters to send to worlds, subject to the TES minimum scores set and published by the ISU. Each country may set its own rules for making that decision. Each country may choose to publish its rules, and some do (the USA does, for example), but AFAIK the ISU does not require it.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Thanks !
I thought there was a point system....

So the ISU has nothing to do with World, they only manage the Grand Prix and the Grand prix finale ?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought every country automatically has 1 berth and can use it if minimum scores have been accomplished that season? I dont have any links etc just what I knew haha.

Each country decides which skaters to send to worlds, subject to the TES minimum scores set and published by the ISU. Each country may set its own rules for making that decision. Each country may choose to publish its rules, and some do (the USA does, for example), but AFAIK the ISU does not require it.

… So the ISU has nothing to do with World, they only manage the Grand Prix and the Grand prix finale ?

Worlds are an ISU Championship, so the ISU has pretty much everything to do with Worlds. :yes:

As discussed above, each individual federation does chooses its own competitors, based on whatever rules the individual federations wants.
(I agree with ribbit that the ISU does not require individual federations to publish its rules. And that meanwhile, for some federations, it happens that the rules do become public knowledge.)

Worlds competitors do have to meet the ISU requirement of minimum TES, as discussed above.
As is true for every other senior international, they must meet the ISU age requirement.
And as is true for every other international, they must be eligible to compete for the federation that sends them. I think(?) the ISU rule is that non-citizens must have documentation that they have been cleared to compete for the federation.

ribbit

On the Ice
Thanks !
I thought there was a point system....

I'm not sure which point system you're referring to. As @ice coverage says, the number of spots that each country receives at Worlds and the Olympics (not the skaters who fill those spots) is determined by the placements of that country's skaters at the previous year's Worlds. Wikipedia has a concise explanation of those rules: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Number_of_entries

Individual skaters' World Standings are determined by the points earned for placements at the previous three years' competitions. You can find the complete rules and current lists of World Standings here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/entries-results/standings

Individual skaters can earn Grand Prix spots based on World Standing, Season's Best scores, and placements at the previous year's Worlds. The complete rules for those spots are here: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...44-gp-general-announcement-2019-20-final/file

So the ISU has nothing to do with World, they only manage the Grand Prix and the Grand prix finale ?

No, Worlds and Junior Worlds, as well as Euros and 4CC, are organized by the ISU; those competitions are collectively known as "ISU Championships". The Grand Prix events are sanctioned by the ISU but organized by the host federations that own those events; the ISU owns the Grand Prix Final, but the competition is organized by the federation that's hosting that year. National federations are members of the ISU and have the freedom to make many decisions for themselves, subject to ISU rules.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Wow. Thank you so much !

I will read it.

I must say I am a little confused.
Anyway, I thought that the world participant (or Olympics) were the top ranking athlete on the 'Isu World standing list' bye country i.e. if UShas 3 men single spots, the top 3 men of that ranking would go.... Obviously it is not that....

Many many many thanks
:)

ribbit

On the Ice
@ice coverage and I replied at the same time! :)

You've got it: World Standing is one method by which a skater can earn Grand Prix spots, but it doesn't have anything to do with Worlds spots. (A federation could always decide to use the World Standings to send its highest-ranked skaters to Worlds, but I don't know of any country that does.)

It might help to remember that Worlds and other ISU championship spots are allotted to countries (technically, federations), while Grand Prix spots are allotted to individuals. A fed gets to choose which skaters it sends to Worlds and Euro/4CC, but it doesn't get to choose which skaters it sends to Grand Prix events. Conversely, the organizers of the individual Grand Prix events get to choose which skaters they invite (though the six host feds issue the initial invitations in consultation with each other, to ensure that all skaters who have the right to one or two spots get them, and subject to rules about TES minimums and per-country maximums), while the ISU doesn't get to choose which skaters go to Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@ice coverage and I replied at the same time! :)

You've got it: World Standing is one method by which a skater can earn Grand Prix spots, but it doesn't have anything to do with Worlds spots. (A federation could always decide to use the World Standings to send its highest-ranked skaters to Worlds, but I don't know of any country that does.)

It might help to remember that Worlds and other ISU championship spots are allotted to countries (technically, federations), while Grand Prix spots are allotted to individuals. A fed gets to choose which skaters it sends to Worlds and Euro/4CC, but it doesn't get to choose which skaters it sends to Grand Prix events. Conversely, the organizers of the individual Grand Prix events get to choose which skaters they invite (though the six host feds issue the initial invitations in consultation with each other, to ensure that all skaters who have the right to one or two spots get them, and subject to rules about TES minimums and per-country maximums), while the ISU doesn't get to choose which skaters go to Worlds.

Actually, each fed puts together a list of its skaters who are eligible to be selected for the Grand Prix. Then the GP host countries choose skaters from those lists.

Feds who are GP host countries nominate 3 host picks of their own skaters in each discipline.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually, each fed puts together a list of its skaters who are eligible to be selected for the Grand Prix. Then the GP host countries choose skaters from those lists.

Feds who are GP host countries nominate 3 host picks of their own skaters in each discipline.

Usually the host picks are from the host country, but not always. I believe the host picks can be from any country (while not exceeding the max-3-from-any-one-country-per-discipline rule). I believe this year Yi Christy Leung representing Hong Kong is a host pick at Cup of China.