Replacement for Jackson Lite UB70 Blades | Golden Skate

Replacement for Jackson Lite UB70 Blades

Elenea

Rinkside
Hello,

At the last sharpening the skate shop told me that I will have to replace my blades soon.
I currently skate on Jackson Lite Blades (UB70) but not the Legacy Lite 7!) and want to continue on Ultima blades since I like the "flatness" and really hate the MK Pro blades I got for my outdoor rink skates (they feel like rocking chairs under my feet and it takes forever to get to the toepick).

Does anyone know if my current blades have a 7" or 8" rocker? Skateshop 1 says it is a 7" rocker and that is why they carry the same number (UB70) as the newer Legacy Lite blades, but another one told me that they have a 8" rocker since the Legacy 7 was the first Ultima blade with a 7" rocker.

If it turns out to be a 7" rocker would it be ok to just go with the Legacy Lite 7?

About me: female, 26 years, 5 7" , 120lbs
All singles + Axel, working on double salchow and toeloop
Boots: Jackson Elite Pro 5320, stiffness: 65

Thank you very much for your help :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a listing on Kinzie's website for UB70: https://jacksoniceskates.com/shop/o...e-blades-4ca76af3-8372-4771-8b24-333a9c76d00a.

Here is a listing on Jackson website for Legacy (Lite) 7: https://jacksonultima.com/products/legacy-7

They appear to be the same blade. Contact Jackson to confirm.

[ETA: There were older Legacy 7 and Legacy 8 blades that were not lightweight (traditional design; no cutouts). Are you saying that you have a lightweight blade called the UB70 that is not the current Legacy (Lite) 7 (with cutouts)?]

Last edited:

Elenea

Rinkside
Are you saying that you have a lightweight blade called the UB70 that is not the current Legacy (Lite) 7 (with cutouts)?]
Yes, exactly. I have a lightweight blade from Ultima with looks slimmer and has bigger cutouts than the current Legacy Lite blades.
There is one Youtube Video, where the blade is listed as UB70 but it is not from an official retailer and there are no further informations about the blades in it.
I will add some pictures for comparison, my blade which is marked as "Lite" and the Legacy 7 Lite.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/148hm4jdfVipZPy0klMHaioQMWuSNurDO/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14FiVK7ZdiwiAOFb1qULz_Hzo9DY9GNkw/view?usp=sharing
Is it possible to add pictures directly? Everytime I go to "insert image" I only have the option to insert an url and then get an error.

Elenea

Rinkside
I got them about 7 years ago while studying abroad in the states for a year. I bought them with a pair of Jackson Freestyle boots (the time when the Freestyles came as a boot-only version)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
V-e-r-y interesting. Well, the current Jackson website doesn't give UB designations anymore, but several major online retailers use UB70 for the Legacy 7 and UB80 for the Legacy 8 (current Lite models). I'd recommend that you contact Jackson ([email protected]), with the details of the blades you have and ask them to confirm the main rocker radius.

Another approach would be to compare tracings (or gauge measurements if your tech has the appropriate gauge) of your blade with tracings (or gauge measurements) of Legacy 7 and Legacy 8. But this is a bit tricky to do even with new blades. And since your blades have been repeatedly sharpened, it's unknown how well the original main rocker radius has been maintained at this point. So contacting Jackson is your best bet.

Elenea

Rinkside
For those who are interested:
I got an answer from Jackson customer service already where they stated "I found an older chart that indicates these blades have an 8’ rocker"...
So that means I can now choose between the normal Legacy or the Legacy Lite 8 blades.
I will probably go with the normal Legacy blades, I nearly broke my finger once doing a catch foot spin when I accidently got it in the cutout and got stuck. The cutouts on the Legacy 8 Lite are smaller now, but that still gives me nightmares when doing catch-foot spins 😅

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For those who are interested:
I got an answer from Jackson customer service already where they stated "I found an older chart that indicates these blades have an 8’ rocker"...
So that means I can now choose between the normal Legacy or the Legacy Lite 8 blades.
I will probably go with the normal Legacy blades, I nearly broke my finger once doing a catch foot spin when I accidently got it in the cutout and got stuck. The cutouts on the Legacy 8 Lite are smaller now, but that still gives me nightmares when doing catch-foot spins 😅
Hey, thanks for getting back to us with the scoop from Jackson. Is the normal Legacy still in production? I checked Jackson and several major online retailers. They list only the Matrix and the Lite. Check with Jackson whether the normal can still be ordered; otherwise, you'll need to be lucky to find new old stock in your size stashed away. {ETA: I'm glad all your fingers are intact. That must have been a frightening experience. This falls under the category of "unintended consequences" of design changes.]

Last edited:

Elenea

Rinkside
Hi,
It seems like Jackson has stopped the production of the normal Legacy blades, but there is one shop in Germany which seems to still have them in my size. But I won't know for sure till september 5th, since the shop is closed over the summer.
I will contact our local shop (who sadly don't sell Ultima blades) if he can sharpen the Matrix Legacy blades (there are on sale at the moment) and if that won't work, then I will buy the Legacy 8 Lite blades.

I'm glad all your fingers are intact. That must have been a frightening experience. This falls under the category of "unintended consequences" of design changes.
I sometimes wonder, if that's the reason why Jackson discontinued the Lite blades so fast that no one seems to know them and replaced them with the Legacy Lite blades with smaller cutouts. But I guess we'll never know 😅

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I sometimes wonder, if that's the reason why Jackson discontinued the Lite blades so fast that no one seems to know them and replaced them with the Legacy Lite blades with smaller cutouts. But I guess we'll never know 😅
If ever I meet a skater with a missing finger, I'll be sure to ask her whether she ever skated with the original UB70 blades. :rolleyes: