Rika Hongo | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

hamaguri

Record Breaker

yhmafan

Medalist
I came across this 8 minute documentary of Rika: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_Q4YDwmE0
If anybody could translate it that would be awesome

I tried to translate the some parts of it. hopefully it's understandable :biggrin:

The people living in the disaster area, were everyday trying their very best at that time.
Then Rika had told herself that was she really ok to do skate while that being far away from her home town, and she had thought, instead of skating, she should have helped them together with her family and neighbors.

-----------------omission-------------------

One day, Rika's granma told her that "Even when you aren't able to jump, and fall down on the ice, it's almost nothing compared to that we have been suffering from the disaster these days." (yea, she tried to encourage her grandchild.)
After hearing her words, Rika could come to think that it's not a big deal what she had been suffering for sure, and was able to practice (in a clam) since then.

Last edited:

butters

Rinkside
I tried to translate the some parts of it. hopefully it's understandable :biggrin:

The people living in the disaster area, were everyday trying their very best at that time.
Then Rika had told herself that was she really ok to do skate while it far away from her home town, and she had thought, instead of skating, she should have helped them together with her family and neighbors.

-----------------omission-------------------

One day, Rika's granma told her that "Even when you aren't able to jump, and fall down on the ice, it's almost nothing compared to that we have been suffering from the disaster these days." (yea, she tried to encourage her grandchild.)
After hearing her words, Rika could come to think that it's not a big deal what she had been suffering for sure, and was able to practice (in a clam) since then.

Thank you very much! Perhaps that is why she is so consistent?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks to a passing remark by Mrs. P in another thread last week, I found out something about Rika that I never realised: That she is mixed-race.

A subsequent look at Wikipedia told me that her Dad is actually from the UK.

Ever since, I have been really intrigued to know where exactly his side of the family is from. Because now I am starting to wonder if there was a reason Rika used Riverdance this season. Is she one of our's...?

I haven't been a regular visitor to this Fan Fest. But, looking through it after I found this out, her Dad being British has been mentioned before (way back on Page 6 was when the subject was first raised). But, nobody was able to find out more then.

So, I would like to bring up the subject again in the hope that somebody knows a little more now.

Glad that Akiko will be choreographing for her again! And I'm surprised and happy at the same time that she'll have her SP done by Shae-Lynn Bourne! Wow, I did not expect that! :hap93:

I have always tended to like the Japanese skaters anyway, but over the past year I have become a big fan of Rika. For me, her FS was "THE" programme of the season. And I'm not just saying that because I'm Irish. I think it has more to do with the fact that it had Akiko Suzuki written all over it. And I was a massive fan of Akiko when she was skating.

So I hope this partnership proves to be really successful for many years to come.

Really looking forward to seeing what they come up with for next season.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST RIKA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

thoakun

Final Flight
I love that Rika is going the Akiko route and try to broaden her artistic range by working with different esteemed choreographers. :clap:Regarding Rika chosing Riverdance, I think it has to do with the fact that Akiko is her mentor and she herself had a well-received Riverdance program. Akko has always struck me as someone who knows how to bring out her best qualities and minimize her weaknesses and she may see that Rika is far from a lyrical, balletic skater and Irish dancing is a perfect vehicle for Rika's energetic style.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
A subsequent look at Wikipedia told me that her Dad is actually from the UK.

So, I would like to bring up the subject again in the hope that somebody knows a little more now.
I don't know anything further about her background or her father - however, my wife and I have spoken with Rika several times, at the last two Finlandia Trophy competitions... and from those occasions it was clear that she did not grow up bi-lingual.

Make of that what you will...

ioanna

Record Breaker
Riverdance was choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto though, got to give him credit too :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know anything further about her background or her father - however, my wife and I have spoken with Rika several times, at the last two Finlandia Trophy competitions... and from those occasions it was clear that she did not grow up bi-lingual.

Make of that what you will...

Awww. That's a shame. I like it when children that are of mixed heritage are brought up bi-lingual.

Mind you, it does explain something. When I was going through the thread a few days ago trying to gleam info, I came across your comment about her at the 2014 Finlandia:

In the practices there she seemed diligent and hard working. And off-ice she seemed cheerful, unassuming, sweet. Perhaps a little shy, but that might just be a natural reaction to some strange British guy talking to her in broken Japanese LOL.

And I thought "Awww. With all the effort YesWay was going to, she probably didn't have the heart to tell him that she could speak English".

But, now I realise that you were right to do so. Especially after watching the interview at the TCC where she was talking through an interpreter.

Oh well! As long as she continues to "speak" to us through her skating for many years to come, then I am happy. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

ioanna

Record Breaker
So, I would like to bring up the subject again in the hope that somebody knows a little more now. CaroLiza_fan
There aren't many things known about his father other than what this article stated back in 2014, that she was born having 3996 grams and inherited her British father's tall build and long limbs.

Rika was born and raised in Sendai and then moved to Nagoya with her mother Yuko Hongo (who is also a coach/choreographer and has competed at the Japanese Nationals herself). There's no mention of her father in this story so she didn't learn any English at all. There were rumors stating that her father is actually half British and Rika is a quarter British but nothing has been confirmed. Rika's mother was friends with Shizuka Arakawa and 9 year old Rika was sitting in Shizuka's car during the Olympic gold celebratory parade in Sendai.
http://lifepages.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/5405ee91d7fb4b43c04e7b6123816439.jpg

mikaboo

Medalist
Rika's new SP music is Carmina Burana according to this tweet (she asked Rika directly). Choreo. by Shae-Lynn Bourne. FS music is still undecided. Hmmm... I'm very curious to see it!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There aren't many things known about his father other than what this article stated back in 2014, that she was born having 3996 grams and inherited her British father's tall build and long limbs.

Rika was born and raised in Sendai and then moved to Nagoya with her mother Yuko Hongo (who is also a coach/choreographer and has competed at the Japanese Nationals herself). There's no mention of her father in this story so she didn't learn any English at all. There were rumors stating that her father is actually half British and Rika is a quarter British but nothing has been confirmed. Rika's mother was friends with Shizuka Arakawa and 9 year old Rika was sitting in Shizuka's car during the Olympic gold celebratory parade in Sendai.
http://lifepages.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/5405ee91d7fb4b43c04e7b6123816439.jpg

Thank you for the info. There may not be a lot of info about Rika around, but what you found is very interesting.

And that photo is just :love: :love: :love:

Rika's new SP music is Carmina Burana according to this tweet (she asked Rika directly). Choreo. by Shae-Lynn Bourne. FS music is still undecided. Hmmm... I'm very curious to see it!

Anybody that has been reading my comments about music over the years knows that I love it when skaters use really dramatic music. And that this is one of my favourite pieces of music full stop, never mind it being one of my favourites for skating to.

But, I didn't like the last routine I saw using it. (Sorry Liza!) So, I hope Rika and Shae-Lynn make a better job of it.

Looking forward to seeing it!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I thought Quidam and Riverdance were suited to her bright personality but Carmina Burana is a different thing. Looks like she's aiming to expand her range of interpretation. I also hope it turns out (much) better than Liza's :slink:

Shiraste

Rinkside
I suppose it will once again be a version based around O Fortuna. It should suit her well, but I'd like parts of some of the other 20 odd songs in Carmina Burana used too for a change. Like this one Let's see what Shae-Lynn comes up with. Looking forward to it.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I could see Carmina Burana being a success or a disaster :laugh: I'm very curious to see the program, especially the music cuts, the choreography, and the costume! (which I guess is all of the program :laugh: Basically, I'm anticipating what it's going to look like!)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
In my mind, I envisage a "Dark Rika" Carmina Burana program would be super-cool, awesome and epic... I look forward to seeing it.

And Rika always has great costumes...

Rissa

Record Breaker
This page claims that her FS will be Lawrence of Arabia, choreographed by Akiko Suzuki. :popcorn:

Akiko Suzuki as a choreographer is always great news, they're an excellent match!

And Shae-Lynn Bourne is an excellent choreographer too, she's the one who managed to pull off Yuzuru's POTO. I'm confident that Carmina Burana Rika Hongo edition will be very enjoyable.

Looks like Rika might stay at the top of my favorite ladies list one more season! :cheer:

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
Rika's FS was revealed on this TV program. There'll be special on her tomorrow night on a local channel. She's such a dork, I love her!

I wonder if she'll be playing Lawrence in her FS :popcorn:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Anticipating Rika's programs! I'm sad to see her programs go this season, because I loved both her SP and FS. Hopefully these new programs will continue to impress.