Russia’s Mark Kondratiuk breaks through | Golden Skate

Russia’s Mark Kondratiuk breaks through

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The second spot is up for grabs and the final decision will be made at the Russian Cup Final which will be held February 27 to March 2 in Moscow.

“I do think about this possibility (to get the second spot), but I just need to work and skate well at the Russian Cup Final,” noted Kondratiuk. “Then whatever happens, happens.”

What are your thoughts on Kondratiuk? His recent performances? Do you think he should get the second spot?

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm a big fan of Russian Men's skating, but I had never heard of Mark Kondratiuk until Nationals. In fact, I had forgotten but was reminded when I was looking up something recently about this year's Nationals that he was not on the original list for the competition but was a substitute! I really enjoy his skating and his style and tried to find out more about him, but there really wasn't much info out there, so thanks for the article!

He has an interesting background, and I think that his art and creative pursuits are not only a great influence on his skating but also help him be more well rounded and more grounded. I would think it's easier to keep skating in perspective when you have other things you're passionate about.

As for the second spot on the World team, I think he and Makar Ignatov are the two strongest contenders. I mean no disrespect to Dmitri Aliev - I like his skating - but I think he needs more time to recover from COVID and build up his strength and endurance.

My concern about sending Kondratiuk over Ignatov is that I'd hate to see him become a victim of "too much, too fast," especially since Russia would surely hope to try to get a third spot back - they certainly have enough promising talent to make use of another spot at Worlds, not to mention the Olympics. And that's a lot of put on his shoulders - or although the same could be said of Ignatov although he does have more international experience.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Wonderful that you published this article, as Mark was a big surprise, and I had never heard of him before. Now I understand why. Whether he should get the 2nd spot at Worlds? I don't know. Makar is more known internationally (he won Nebelhorn in 2019 for example), generally skates well but has stamina issues. Mark is totally unknown internationally but has been successful in this difficult season. But not at an international event (because of the mentioned difficult season)...And I feel sorry for Dmitri who was doing so well last season, the season that got cut short. But I agree with Weathergal, he should get time to recover and heal.

Scott512

Record Breaker

What are your thoughts on Kondratiuk? His recent performances? Do you think he should get the second spot?
Yes!

It's a shame they have only 2 spots I need to have 3 for the Olympics in my opinion. Which meaning the to that go to worlds will have to do well.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
But the pressure on these young guys to get the third spot back is immense! I'd rather not have them worry about that, just to skate as good as possible, and then we'll see. If it doesn't work out, there's still 2 spots which is better than for many skaters from other federations. And if it's successful, well hurrah! Of course everyone wants to do well at Worlds. That's not the point. It feels a bit unfair though to put them under too much pressure.

Last edited: