Russia announces Olympic Figure Skating Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russia announces Olympic Figure Skating Team

icybear

Medalist
I thought the Russian ice dance field was a lot deeper than this. Apart from the top 2 team the 3rd team wouldnt rank 15th if judged correctly. I'm surprised how easy it was for Eteri to get her daughter an olympic spot considering how Russia competitive field are suppose to be cut throat. I mean aside from Guerreiro/ Zagorski who were conveniently out with illness, its not like Eteri had to flex hard to wipe out other possible 3rd ice dance team.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frankly considering how fluid the covid situation is and how prevalent omicron is, I think the first alternates should be very ready to go at a moment's notice. It would surprise me not at all if we saw multiple alternate substitutions this time around.
Much as I enjoy her, I'd hate for this to be the way she makes it. But I agree, alternates are named for a reason, even in non-COVID times.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I’m just here for the pics of lariko that will make us all green with Mozalenvy. :LOL:

Congrats to the team!

This is honestly the best team they could have gone with if results is their top priority (D/S is unwarranted nepotism for sure but they will still score higher than the alternates because of it).

Curious now to see what they do for the team event.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wonder if Diana and Gleb will do the team event. As Dave Lease said, Mama wants a OGM for her daughter. Viki and Niki may opt out of the team event due to his back issues. We will see if he's right.

Davis/Smolkin are just the filler queens. Europeans cemented that. 99% sure they do not do the team event. They would lose to Italy, Canada and the US whereas S/B and S/K could fare better.

I don’t think S/K are going to opt out of the team event, and will likely do the short dance to gain ground and avoid risks, while not overexerting Nikita.

S/K will also want some sweet sweet Olympic PCS to prime them for a shot at gold and put the pressure on the French and essentially up the stock on at least an undeserved individual silver.

After nabbing gold in Sochi, ROC is going to want it back, even at the expense of Nikita’s back. Better to get the team gold and concede the individual ID gold which is P/C’s to lose anyways.

After getting Euro silver with a huge score that even breathed down S/K’s neck there is no way they will screw over S/B especially after the Euro judges brought D/S’ scores down to earth.

D/S should just be pleased they’re invited to the party. And as much as mamma wants her daughter to have an OGM, her daughter would possibly cost ROC the team OGM.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Ok this annoys me. If most athletes are vaccinated, why on earth is the IOC not allowing them to compete?

This Olympics will be a horror show honestly.
The vaccine has not proved very effective in preventing infection from the latest COVID variant.

On the other hand, I'm sure there will be some very stringent requirements for the athletes upon arrival, so if someone were to test positive at the eleventh hour, I'm not sure there would even be enough time to bring an alternate in to replace them.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the Russian ice dance field was a lot deeper than this. Apart from the top 2 team the 3rd team wouldnt rank 15th if judged correctly. I'm surprised how easy it was for Eteri to get her daughter an olympic spot considering how Russia competitive field are suppose to be cut throat. I mean aside from Guerreiro/ Zagorski who were conveniently out with illness, its not like Eteri had to flex hard to wipe out other possible 3rd ice dance team.
Russia hasn't been deep in ice dance for years. Canada and especially the US have been leading the way for over a decade now with the US far in front over the last few years now.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I will, I will. It’s still early hours. As in 4:30 am. Lemme watch my other fav in Juniors and whip oil industry into shape, then I will go and procure hair dye.
Soooo, where's green hair?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
You are an absolute legend!!!!!!
Nah, just a sucker for a good drama, and Mozalev on Ice has it all. The theme, the likable main character, the impossible odds, the formidable opponents, the last minute saves... And, above all, Mozalev is expectations-defying. No matter what those expectations are, he manages to defy them. The kid is a gem.