Russia invades Ukraine | Golden Skate
  • The Speakeasy is open to members who have 100+ posts to discuss current world affairs in the news that are not directly related to figure skating.

• posts in this forum will not contribute towards the posting user's total messages count
    • the "reaction" emoticons for this forum have been disabled (there may be some spill-over from moved threads/posts)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you agree or not. Be mature in your posts. If you can't have a discussion without shouting, insulting, ranting, etc., then this forum is not for you. Such behavior will result in a permanent ban from the thread(s) in question.

You can click the "X" in the upper right hand corner to dismiss this message.

Russia invades Ukraine

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ukraine conflict: Russian forces attack from three sides (BBC)

The invasion by land, air and sea began after a pre-dawn TV address where Russian President Vladimir Putin demanded that Ukraine's military lay down its arms.

Initial reports of casualties included Ukrainian civilians and soldiers, and Russian troops. Ukraine has declared martial law and severed all diplomatic relations with Russia. It says weapons will be given to anyone who wants them.

More...

Key points​

• Russia launches massive attack on Ukraine
  • Ukrainian President Zelenskiy says Russia has ‘embarked on path of evil’
  • U.S., EU, U.K. condemn Moscow
  • U.K. issues largest ever sanctions package against Russia and its ally Belarus
  • Happening today: G7 leaders hold video call; EU leaders meet in Brussels tonight; NATO to hold virtual summit tomorrow.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NATO Allies condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in the strongest possible terms

NATO Allies condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in the strongest possible terms,” Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said. “We call on Russia to immediately cease its military action, withdraw its forces from Ukraine, and choose diplomacy.” “We fully support Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and Ukraine’s right of self-defence” Mr. Stoltenberg added.

Today, the North Atlantic Council decided to activate NATO’s defence plans to protect Allied nations during this crisis. “We will continue to do whatever is necessary to shield the Alliance from aggression,” Mr Stoltenberg stated.

› Read the Secretary General’s full remarks
› Read the statement by the North Atlantic Council

Featured news videos from Nato

Ziotic

Medalist
As I see, there are protest. Were Russians aware of the eminent military advance?

We’re in from, it was very clear from the media that Russia would be moving in.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
How can something like that take place in the 21st century?
We would love the world to be a civilized place , but its not. Look at the 20th century, its wars, and nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. If only there was a League of Nations/United Nations that worked." Great evil is done when good people (or nations) do nothing.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is just awful 😞 I don't understand how Putin is getting away with this. Lots of Russian people have Ukrainian roots and relatives living there. I guess Putin doesn't so couldn't give a damn who dies.

I just wonder if there's any way to stop him... sanctions never seem to work, but what other choices are there except all-out war?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Be careful of wishing for all out war. It never turns out the way ANYONE expects.

May the heavens protect Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
First of all - I hate war and I want it to end as soon as possible. With that said I don't understand several things. As we can see now by public reaction of many people and massive sanctions throghout the world - it's quite likely that Russian skaters won't be able or be allowed to participate in international competitions for some time at least. However.. I can't help but notice double standarts/contradictions in people's, countries and organizations reaction to war in Ukraine now in relation to Russia.
1) Ukraine vs Russia war is going on 8 years already. Judging by what western media told us and by sanctions imposed on Russia exactly for that - Russia always was considered as an agressor who invaded Ukraine and occupied their territory for many years. Then why so strong reaction now? What's changed? Does it mean that when Ukrainians and Russians were killing each other at Donbass territory (resulting in lot of civilians victims as well) for many years - it was ok or, at least, not bad enough to impose grave sanctions or massive public condemnation - but as soon as Russians moved area of war from Donbass towns and houses of civilians there to Ukrainian military bases - it started to be extremely bad crime?
2) if the 8 years war between Russia and Ukraine was actually a western media fabricated lie - and Russia invaded only now (which is quite plausible considering how easy real Russian army could dominate over Ukrainian forces during mere hours and that Ukranian army never risked to wage war against Russians in Crimea all these years despite it being their former territory) - then it means Ukraine waged civilian war all this time - killing their own citizens and civilians there. If so - why there weren't any sanctions against Ukraine or public condemnation all these years? On the contrary - despite UN missions observing war in Donbass for many years and knowing what's going on there - all we can hear from international organizations and politics was only support for Ukraine. Does it mean that people in Donbass (including women and children there) were considered as subhumans without any right to defend themselves by international community?
3) during US invasion and bombing of civilians in Yugoslavia and Iraq - why there weren't any sanctions against USA and very mild reaction to their agression comparing to what we have now against Russia? Does it mean that one country war crimes are more tolerated by international community than other?

I hope someone could explain it to me. Thank you for your answers.

P.S.: don't get me wrong - I am not trying to defend Russia here and now at all. If today's theatre of war is not as awful as it can be - it could become much bloodier tomorrow. What Putin did is horrible and can become much worse with each passing day. But still - with any possible current war's outcome - what I said above remains. The world's hypocrisy and difference in attitude towards various countries is very glaring.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The world's hypocrisy and difference in attitude towards various countries is very glaring.

Pretty much yes. If this invasion had been planned on a "more important" country, the other world powers would be enacting a harsher retribution, or likely wouldn't have let it happen in the first place.

el henry

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maksim Chmerkovskiy of Dancing with the Stars (Meryl Streep's partner) is in Kyiv.

He implores the Russian people not to believe the propaganda that has been promoted as justification for the invasion:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This invasion truly makes me sick. A military superpower invading it's smaller neighbor who was just minding it's own business because the bully back wants what he thinks is his so he can restore the glorious soviet empire. Sound like another maniac from about 84 years ago?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sound like another maniac from about 84 years ago?
Exactly. Only this one is very very smart. You will remember he and Xi had a major conference after the opening ceremonies. I am very afraid of what operations current and future they planned. If the free world doesn't stand together against these monsters, the future isn't bright. A physical war is not the path. Monsters have weaknesses. Exploiting these weaknesses will be very painful to the free world, economically. But if the monsters are slain, it will be worthwhile. The monsters see weakness and act accordingly. We must be strong and united, or we are doomed.

TT_Fin

Medalist
Country
Finland
Finns gave been talking about the possibility if it happens here, it has been "on the air" for a while. When the war 1939 startet, Soviet Union started shots in East Finland - which it take in the war to itself. If you are more interested, google "Mainila shots". They started it themselves, but argued Finland did and that was an excuse to start the war. The common line with Russia is 1340 km and quite common opinion is our politics have been blue-eyed. The control on the border was very much tighter during the time of Soviet Union than it has been at 20's.

Hartwall Arena, were FS WC 2017 happened and EC 2023 is planned to happen, is partly owned by Russians. Some citizens here criticize a lot Russians can by properties in Finland. Many say it is dangerous. My brother in law worked as a border guard before retiring and he has sensible aspects. Barona, a personal rental company announced yesterday they finish all co-operation there. It is a a main sponsor of Jokerit, which is originally Finnish team but is owned by Russian and plays in KHL. Barona has been responsibility to supply the staff to Arena.

People are afraid. I have 30 and 28 year old sons. Finland has compulsory army to all healthy young men, bur my older son was released for peace time because he was diagnosed with rheumatism at the age 10. All of those who have been army, more than 90 % of men, got already some years ago a letter where was told where they have to go if war starts. They were not to allowed to tell their targets to anybody, but it was public that the letter was sent. My younger son just said "not in front line, don't be worried". Many people do not believe it will not happen here, but so they didn't at 30's.

I cannot see any big competitions happen anymore this year.

Edit. A Turkish-owned ship is sunk. World war is near.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This is not unexpected. Putin has the tendency to start military conflicts right after Olympic Games. But the scale of this is worrying.
I would be interested in what the forum members from Russian think of it - Do you think that Putin's reasoning is sound? Is the Russian minority in Ukraine being mistreated?
German and Austrian newspapers are full of Hitler comparisons. I don't know wether I want to agree ... I think Putin has much more internal problems, that he wants to destract from, than Hitler had.
I have the feeling that the people of Ukraine are traditionally stubborn. They don't bend, never have. This is going to be really bad.

And regarding the question wether Russian athletes will be competing internationally ... I don't care. But I guess Russia can't have it all - Ukraine and more international gold medals.
But this will only be more munition to Putin's propaganda machine - how Russian athletes are treated unfairly yet again.
But ... maybe a reason behind this war was possible new sanctions against Russian athletes, because of Valieva? Maybe Putin doesn't want his country's sport system to be investigated yet again?

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I didn't expect to see a reasonable discussion on the very first page of an English-speaking thread, but you proved me wrong.

For someone who followed closely the fate of Donbas since 2014 and has good friends there, it's been painful to see all the suffering the people in Donetsk and Lugansk experienced all these years, and painful to realize that Russia isn't ready to face all the consequences of ending this war. Now that everything changed in a day, I totally understand all the celebrations of recognition of the two republics - for the first time in years the people got the hope for a peaceful life.

As for the rest of Ukraine, the US is not in a position to try to retake control over it, and the undercover antifascist/pro-Russian (call whatever you like) government hasn't gone anywhere, so the war is going to end very soon and with little blood - I believe the American generals when they name the term between 72 and 96 hours.

I'm not sure there are any credible relevant sources in English today, but I want you to be sure, no way on earth NATO is going to start a world war for Ukraine.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
1&2) Yes, it was and is a civil war between the regime and Russian seperatists in Ukraine. Russia supported and supports the Russian seperatists, that was the reason for the 8 years period of sanctions against Russia.
It's rather difficult to end a civil war, if the neighbouring country supports and funds it. I'm sure that crimes on both sides happened in this civil war. We all saw it on a regular basis on the news and there was literally no way to end it. That's not hypocrisy imo, because even a civil war in small regions of a country is better than a full blown war against one of the World's superpowers. Do you know why Russia got away with so many things, also in sports? Because we are all afraid. And we have every reason to be. And if the West isn't going to really help the Ukraine ... that would only show that we already sh** our pants.

3) I can't kill a cat only because my neighbour killed a cat. Should my neighbour be sanctioned? Maybe. If he can give sound reasoning, why he killed the cat, then he won't face sanctions. Mind you, it doesn't matter wether his story is true or not, it only matters what the decision makers believe.
But it's always a different story if a country wants to expand its territory ... and that's what Russia is doing now.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Exactly. Only this one is very very smart. You will remember he and Xi had a major conference after the opening ceremonies. I am very afraid of what operations current and future they planned. If the free world doesn't stand together against these monsters, the future isn't bright. A physical war is not the path. Monsters have weaknesses. Exploiting these weaknesses will be very painful to the free world, economically. But if the monsters are slain, it will be worthwhile. The monsters see weakness and act accordingly. We must be strong and united, or we are doomed.
I agree with this view
The idea of a Russian-China alliance is worrying to put it mildly.. not to mention adding North Korea to this mix
Worst case scenerio

Warwick360

Medalist
Everything else appears so irrelevant now, looking back to last month or so, when it concerns Russia.

I try to hope for the best for Ukraine. This invasion was something that should have never happened.

Walt FSHunter

Final Flight
First of all Russia must be excluded from IOC and all International Sports Federations. Its athletes must not be allowed to compete at any major international competitions.