Russia invades Ukraine | Page 185 | Golden Skate
  • Hello all!

This is to let you know that the Speakeasy has opened up for discussing current world affairs in the news that are not directly related to figure skating. Here are a few quick notes:
    • While everyone can "view" the Speakeasy, members must have at least 100+ posts before they can post in this forum
    • posts in this forum will not contribute towards the posting user's total messages count
    • the "reaction" emoticons for this forum have been disabled (there may be some spill-over from moved threads/posts)

Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you agree or not. Be mature in your posts. If you can't have a discussion without shouting, insulting, ranting, etc., then this forum is not for you. Such behavior will result in a permanent ban from the thread(s) in question.

You can click the "X" in the upper right hand corner to dismiss this message.

Russia invades Ukraine

Finley

Record Breaker

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
And in a further blow to Russian dream of future soft power success, Ukraine wins Eurovision-

Zelensky has expressed hope that at some point, Ukraine would be able to host the contest in a rebuilt MariupoL, Ukraine.
I think people interpret too much into the Eurovision results. The song needs attention before the show, yes, that is true, but the public has shown, that it is incorruptible time and time again. But I'm also sure that Putin didn't like the outcome this year.

Finley

Record Breaker
I think people interpret too much into the Eurovision results. The song needs attention before the show, yes, that is true, but the public has shown, that it is incorruptible time and time again. But I'm also sure that Putin didn't like the outcome this year.
"They lost as much as a third of their army in Ukraine. They tried and failed to cross a river three times this week, and lost an entire BTG. But what really upsets them is a song contest from which they were banned anyway for going to war."

Finley

Record Breaker
Lavrov: "Our goal does not include regime change in Ukraine. This is the specialty of US. We want to ensure safety of people in eastern Ukraine, so that they won’t be threatened by militarisation & nazification and that no threats against Russia emanate from the Ukraine territory."

I have some feelings about this.

The only 'regime change' on the horizon is the one Lavrov should be worried about. "The call is coming from inside the house." Then again, he might not live to see it. "Keep passing open windows."

When ensuring people's safety, do not create another victim. Certainly, do not create thousands of them. When your 'protection' has a body count it's time to reconsider. When the bodies being counted are the bodies of your own people - you have lost the plot. And the war. Time to stop.

Also, this -

I hope they turn it into temporary housing for Ukrainian refugees.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Hard to say, depends on who would be in it. I think it would be more pragmatic without trying to justify everything with questionable history lessons and with idiotic claims. I think they would try to step back and to be less aggressive, simply to normalize things again.
Whoever will be in it, they will be from the same Russian elite which is already in the game, headlong into questionable historic lessons and idiotic claims. Can you see there a pragmatic? I'm thinking about names... I can't think about anyone.

Finley

Record Breaker
Quick summary of today's livestream with Aleksey Arestovych. Daily update on the situation in Ukraine.

"However, the accumulation of sufficient Western weapons for counter-attack is not expected until July."

July? Really?

Also -

"Some troops were calling restaurants in Kyiv to book tables for 1,500 people brigades. None of the plans came to life."

The audacity....

LadyB

Record Breaker
And in a further blow to Russian dream of future soft power success, Ukraine wins Eurovision-

Zelensky has expressed hope that at some point, Ukraine would be able to host the contest in a rebuilt MariupoL, Ukraine.
Further blow? Seriously? Don't think they give a flying eff about the Eurovision rubbish.
Besides, anyone who is surprised by the Ukrainian win has a mega brain problem. They could have put up a pencil and still won. :laugh:

samkrut@mail.ru

Medalist
Record Breaker
Further blow? Seriously? Don't think they give a flying eff about the Eurovision rubbish.
Besides, anyone who is surprised by the Ukrainian win has a mega brain problem. They could have put up a pencil and still won. :laugh:
You are right. But even with the low significance of this contest where UK each year sends karaoke level performers they could not stay off making fakes. I guess, it's a decease now. They cooked the results. And the only one who complained was Romania. Year after year Romania put on top Moldova (and the reverse was also true). This year they did the same. But somehow the vote was not taken "for technical reasons" and instead of 12 points Moldova got... 0 . And 12 points went....to....surprise surprise....Ukraine!

4everchan

Observer
Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are right. But even with the low significance of this contest where UK each year sends karaoke level performers they could not stay off making fakes. I guess, it's a decease now. They cooked the results. And the only one who complained was Romania. Year after year Romania put on top Moldova (and the reverse was also true). This year they did the same. But somehow the vote was not taken "for technical reasons" and instead of 12 points Moldova got... 0 . And 12 points went....to....surprise surprise....Ukraine!

not that i follow this ... but at this rate, Moldova might win all the sympathy points next year.... :(

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

You haven't watched the show, because the song and performance from the UK was rather nice actually. Would have won any other year imo. And some claimed, that the UK wouldn't have a chance because of Brexit...
Ukraine's contribution was intense and the performance was top notch. I liked the dancing. It really was a moment. I don't think the song was that good, but it got me in the moment. The lady from Spain could've won, but she showed too much of her behind imo. I never vote, but I think the public vote was always right in the last couple of years. I think the people vote for what they like and what they've heard and liked before.
When Conchita won, Austria got massive points from countries, that never gave Austria massive points in the years before. They liked the performance, they knew of the song before because she got attention and voted for it. People make it more complicated than it actually is. What a country needs is massive PR before, so that the viewers listen, and a great performance on the night. Ukraine had both.

samkrut@mail.ru

Medalist
Record Breaker
You haven't watched the show, because the song and performance from the UK was rather nice actually. Would have won any other year imo. And some claimed, that the UK wouldn't have a chance because of Brexit...
Ukraine's contribution was intense and the performance was top notch. I liked the dancing. It really was a moment. I don't think the song was that good, but it got me in the moment. The lady from Spain could've won, but she showed too much of her behind imo. I never vote, but I think the public vote was always right in the last couple of years. I think the people vote for what they like and what they've heard and liked before.
When Conchita won, Austria got massive points from countries, that never gave Austria massive points in the years before. They liked the performance, they knew of the song before because she got attention and voted for it. People make it more complicated than it actually is. What a country needs is massive PR before, so that the viewers listen, and a great performance on the night. Ukraine had both.
I didn't watch it. You are right. And it may be true that both Ukraine and UK had strong songs. Good for them. What I referred to was a "strange " incident which for me is anything but strange after all the fakes that Western audience is fed with. Now instead of making a thorough investigation how it could happen that Moldova got 0 from Romania instead of 12 they started another witch hunting looking for imaginary "Russian hackers "

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I didn't watch it. You are right. And it may be true that both Ukraine and UK had strong songs. Good for them. What I referred to was a "strange " incident which for me is anything but strange after all the fakes that Western audience is fed with. Now instead of making a thorough investigation how it could happen that Moldova got 0 from Romania instead of 12 they started another witch hunting looking for imaginary "Russian hackers "
If only you were in favour of thorough investigation when it is really needed.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Quick summary of today's livestream with Aleksey Arestovych. Daily update on the situation in Ukraine.

"However, the accumulation of sufficient Western weapons for counter-attack is not expected until July."

July? Really?
Actually, this resonates with what Budanov said about the breaking point in the second half of August.

I can see at least several reasons for this.
If Ukrainians want to attack, like, seriously, not like Russians did (whose attacks were plain losses of troops and equipment), it needs the full package: ground, air, long and close range, and it needs a bit of time to put it all together properly.
Which is not easy considering that Ukrainian supply lines are now very stretched and, hey, there is still the Russian army to hinder the process.

If the aid is confirmed in the U.S. by May 18, I'd say that the start of July is an optimistically-realistic timing.

Finley

Record Breaker
The latest from Girkin/Strelkin -

He keeps saying 'liberate'. Maybe it's a mistranslation but the thought that comes to my mind -

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya

His solution to all this is more war? With him in charge this time? Okay, great. You and what army? You don't even have the tires you need to do this. Let that sink in. You need to start with a good set of tires. A million good sets of tires. There is a very entertaining Twitter thread that explains this in great detail.

His perspective is interesting. I appreciate the translation. It seems he has hopes of coming out on top after all this is done and dusted. He very well might. People like him tend to have their day. I'm ready to fast forward to the part of the story where he experiences his own version of 'liberation' and faces justice for crimes committed. I guess we'll see.

Edit: a follow up from the translator -

Last edited:

el henry

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the Russian media is apparently having conniptions about Eurovision, and looking like idiots in the process.:laugh:

(I barely know what Eurovision is, have never watched it, couldn't tell you one act or singer or whatever it is they do. But if it upsets the conspiracy minded shouters on Russian state TV, that's a good thing. (y))

For those without access to Twitter:

The reaction to #Eurovision on today's Russian state TV has been absolutely hysterical. This is from Ruslan Ostashko, host of Vremya Pokazhet on Channel One: "By voting for Ukraine at Eurovision, Europe voted for fascism!

For those without access to Twitter:

Russian state TV's Olga Skabeyeva just said that one of Ukraine's Eurovision winners "gave a Nazi salute" when leaving the stage. He was waving to the audience 😂

ETA: Tweets from Francis Scarr, Bio: "with BBCmonitoring Russian state TV so you don't have to"

Finley

Record Breaker
This is interesting. I think this is the same show where the dingbat host was fine with nuclear war because they would all be in heaven. The narrative seems to be shifting.

"In an extremely rare moment of candour on Russian state TV today, defence columnist Mikhail Khodaryonok gave a damning assessment of Russia's war in Ukraine and his country's international isolation. It's fairly long but worth your time so I've added subtitles."