Russian alphabet test/Learning Russian | Golden Skate

Russian alphabet test/Learning Russian

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is so cool, although I am not as determined. :)

My knowledge of Ancient Greek both helps and hurts me. It helps with letters that look like delta and gamma, and are in fact d and g sounds.

but I am always tripped up by the fact that the letter that looks like a giant eta is not an ešŸ˜­

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Itā€™s kinda weird, because it keeps cycling between the same 10 letters for me. It also gives pronunciation separately, not in a syllable, so all the yoted semivowels will be pronounced a bit differently after a consonant

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It repeats ALOT of the same letters, which I like, because I'm usually not 100% in the first twenty questions. After that I'll go for 100 questions, and I'm 100%! lol

Weathergal

Medalist
If anyone is like me and is determined to figure out Russian names and words, I found an easy "pre-competition" quiz to brush up on your Russian alphabet knowledge. I do this quiz sometimes every day since I'm on RLT so much!! So, here's how I test myself: http://www.practicerussian.com/Tests/TesAlphabet.aspx
Thanks @LiamForeman This is great! I've worked out some of the letters -- although not always sure I'm right. LOL Plus some I don't know at all. I've often regretted not sticking with the Russian course I started in college so maybe this will help a little!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It repeats ALOT of the same letters, which I like, because I'm usually not 100% in the first twenty questions. After that I'll go for 100 questions, and I'm 100%! lol
Have fun and good luck! Just keep in mind that the Š Š• Š® ŠÆ sound differently after a consonant than after a vowel/stand alone/first letter. You probably can always ask to break down each name into ā€˜sound alikeā€™ syllables on the forum or catch it by ear from the Russian announcers, if you are just trying to pick up the names.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is so cool, although I am not as determined. :)

My knowledge of Ancient Greek both helps and hurts me. It helps with letters that look like delta and gamma, and are in fact d and g sounds.

but I am always tripped up by the fact that the letter that looks like a giant eta is not an ešŸ˜­

My little knowledge of Modern Greek also helped. Because the vast majority of signs in Cyprus are written in both Greek and English, I have become pretty familiar with Greek letters and their Latin equivalents. And because there is a large Russian population there nowadays, it is becoming increasingly common to see things written in Greek and Russian. When you see them written together, you can clearly see the similarities in quite a few of the letters.

Oh, and looking up Russian figure skaters over the years has also helped in gaining knowledge by osmosis of the letters that are not so similar to Greek letters. :biggrin:

(I didn't get presented with the giant eta. But, don't worry, I am sure I would have got caught out by it too if I had! :) )

When I did the test, I had 20 goes, and got 18 right. However, the two I got wrong were because I second guessed myself. I thought "Mmmm, they may be trying to catch me out with this one. That is the obvious choice, but it is maybe too obvious". So, I went for something else instead.

It was the obvious choice that was correct. :palmf:

Still, I felt happy with my score. Even if some of the letters appeared a few times... :p

CaroLiza_fan

Tokyo Drift

On the Ice
Country
France
I'm totally hooked now, I have to check off faster and faster, I'm aiming for the world record :yahoo:.

ADDICT.png

:thank:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, if you guys want to type in Cyrillic, this old interface that converts Latin script into Russian is pretty basic, but I used it since like 1990s. šŸ˜…

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I also found this free site to learn conversant Russian. I am very determined!!! lol. It's convenient right now, while I'm watching the early groups of JGP. https://www.duolingo.com/learn
YouTube has lots of Russian movies and animated stuff, though I donā€™t know if they have subtitles. I know my kid can pick some Japanese words for me from simply the volume of anime she is watching.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
To any Russian typist: Where is the "C" and the "T" on the cyrillic keyboard? Do I type something instead? It's strange that s and t are not on it.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The problem was an ad was blocking the lower row!!!! Thanks for responding! I thought it was bizarre they weren't on it.

statmam

On the Ice
Lots of fun, although for E the choices include y as in yesterday or ye as in yes. Personally, I begin the pronunciation of yes and yesterday the same way. But I also pronounce merry, marry, and Mary identically while my friends from the northeastern U.S. insist they should sound different, so YMMV.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of fun, although for E the choices include y as in yesterday or ye as in yes. Personally, I begin the pronunciation of yes and yesterday the same way. But I also pronounce merry, marry, and Mary identically while my friends from the northeastern U.S. insist they should sound different, so YMMV.

I didn't even look at the pronunciation, but how else would you pronounce yes and yesterday but identically?

Then again, merry, Mary and marry *definitely* have completely different vowel sounds. I always thought that was just a Philadelphia thing, but now it's the whole Northeast? I'm less special:drama: