Russian Ice Shows | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Russian Ice Shows

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Eteri Tutberidze show in Saint Petersburg full fancam https://youtu.be/VvM0PXZAz5Q

As usual, the shows in Saint Petersburg and Moscow have more skaters and new exhibitions.

Cast: Alina Zagitova, Alisa Dvoeglazova, Andrei Mozalev, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Arseniy Fedotov, Adeliia Petrosian, Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov, Petr Gumennik, Aleksandra Boikova/Dmitri Kozlovski, Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov, Alexandra Trusova, Makar Ignatov, Margarita Bazylyuk, Daniil Samsonov, Morisi Kvitelashvili, Evgenia Medvedeva, Viktoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov

Evgeni Semenenko was also invited but two hours before the beginning it was announced that he can't perform due to an injury.

Tuktamysheva, SinKats and Trusova performed brand new exhibitions.

Unlike previous years, the show lasted only one day (jt used to be two days).

The Moscow show is on Friday. Sofia Akatieva will perform there.
alt angle, probably a better one

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Eteri Tutberidze show in Saint Petersburg full fancam https://youtu.be/VvM0PXZAz5Q

As usual, the shows in Saint Petersburg and Moscow have more skaters and new exhibitions.

Cast: Alina Zagitova, Alisa Dvoeglazova, Andrei Mozalev, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Arseniy Fedotov, Adeliia Petrosian, Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov, Petr Gumennik, Aleksandra Boikova/Dmitri Kozlovski, Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov, Alexandra Trusova, Makar Ignatov, Margarita Bazylyuk, Daniil Samsonov, Morisi Kvitelashvili, Evgenia Medvedeva, Viktoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov

Evgeni Semenenko was also invited but two hours before the beginning it was announced that he can't perform due to an injury.

Tuktamysheva, SinKats and Trusova performed brand new exhibitions.

Unlike previous years, the show lasted only one day (jt used to be two days).

The Moscow show is on Friday. Sofia Akatieva will perform there.
Team Tutberidze show in Moscow https://youtu.be/wpI6oCbUXt4

Changes:
> Sofia Akatieva has performed
> Alina Zagitova had new exhibition

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Favourite songs about the main thing

5th May

TV version
https://vk.com/video-186663381_456239263

Cast:
Polina Pilipenko/Vladislav Mikhailov, Gleb Lutfullin, Ekaterina Mironova/Evgeni Ustenko, Petr Gumennik, Sofia Samodurova, Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski, Mark Kondratiuk, Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov, Polina Tikhonova, Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov, Alexei Yagudin, Sofia Diana Cousins/Aleksandr Bregei, Matvei Vetlugin, Sofia Shevchenko/Andrei Ezhlov, Oksana Domnina/Maksim Shabalin, Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Aleksandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin, Roman Kostomarov, Elena Berezhnaya Ice Theatre

Last edited:
That program is the very model of what a high-energy jump-free performance can be. This could be the direction that the discipline of solo ice dance could take.

What is she tearing up at the beginning -- a school book?

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
By the way, Alina Zagitova has announced her own ice show.

29 and 31 August in her hometown Kazan.

photo_2024-07-01_17-20-15.jpg

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States
That program is the very model of what a high-energy jump-free performance can be. This could be the direction that the discipline of solo ice dance could take.

What is she tearing up at the beginning -- a school book?

I think this is a song about love or something, so I think the papers symbolize love letters or a diary. Fun fact, this program was choreographed by Alina in less than half an hour. Four months ago she was supposed to perform at the opening of a new hockey arena, largest in Russia or in Europe, I think. She had a program planned to another music with an actual costume. But a few hours before her appearance she was asked to perform a program to live music and her dress was not working with that music. So she used her training outfit and put together something as fast as she could.

I guess Alina liked that program, so she skated it again yesterday. :) Here is the original performance, which is fun to see because there were like 20+ thousand spectators.

Oh, and the outfit reminds me of her show program "Survivor" from the 2018/19 season. Lovely. :pray:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Solo ice dance as a competitive discipline has required technical elements similar to partnered dance, with edge elements in place of lifts.

And no props.

I saw edge elements here, also spins and choreographic slides. But a solo free dance for competition would also need to include a few kinds of step sequences, and twizzles.

The emotional content of solo free dances could go in similar directions, among other options. Solo rhythm dances, of course, have to be about dancing to the specified rhythm/theme.

Of course show programs can do whatever they want.

Solo ice dance as a competitive discipline has required technical elements similar to partnered dance, with edge elements in place of lifts...
I qonder if that is really the right path for this disscipline to take. When I looked at Zagitova;s performance the thought "modern dance" popped into my mind immediately. In so far as traditional ice dance is based on ballroom, I think it would just look silly to do a solo tango or paso doble (paoo soltero)?) These dances are all about partnering.

I keyed in "solo dance" to You Tube" and up came video after video of cool and entertaining accrobatic dances, hip hop, ballet, hula (I want Madison Chock to do this, with Evan Bates standing off to the side playing the ukelele), solo electric slide (I found out that April is Solo Shim Sham month but "solo" seems to mean a whole group of people stepping in unison).

It seems like someone could come up with a judicable/scorable version that is not so restrictive in terms of required elements?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I qonder if that is really the right path for this disscipline to take. When I looked at Zagitova;s performance the thought "modern dance" popped into my mind immediately. In so far as traditional ice dance is based on ballroom, I think it would just look silly to do a solo tango or paso doble (paoo soltero)?) These dances are all about partnering.

I keyed in "solo dance" to You Tube" and up came video after video of cool and entertaining accrobatic dances, hip hop, ballet, hula (I want Madison Chock to do this, with Evan Bates standing off to the side playing the ukelele), solo electric slide (I found out that April is Solo Shim Sham month but "solo" seems to mean a whole group of people stepping in unison).

It seems like someone could come up with a judicable/scorable version that is not so restrictive in terms of required elements?
Maybe there should be an international discipline in artistic skating.

Skate Canada International did include such an event in the early 1990s

More recently, the ISU adult competitions include artistic events:

The US has a National Showcase championship with various categories and skill levels
See especially the Emotional Performance and Choreographic Artistry examples and senior level for closest to what you have in mind

Limited jumps are allowed, but not scored.

Props are also allowed in some categories.

Do other countries (e.g., Canada) have something similar?

There can also be duet categories that wouldn't rely on standard pair or ice dance requirements.

Now imagine this kind of competition for elite skill levels, that elite-level skaters from all disciplines could enter, whether in addition to competing in one of the standard disciplines, or after retiring when they have to cut back on some of the hardest athletic moves but are still otherwise at high fitness, or because they were always more interested in performing and on-ice skills than on jumps, lifts, etc.

If there are to be fair competitions, there would need to be some specific guidelines for each competition category about program length and what is required, rewarded, allowed, or forbidden.

Maybe some categories would allow a limited number of high-revolution jumps and others would not.

All of which is something entirely different from what competitive solo ice dance is intended as. If you want an artistic solo (or duet) event, let it be in addition, not instead.

Last edited:
^ I see I have a feast spread before me to watch all of these. The ISU briefly (and not very enthusiastically) floated the idea a couple of seasons ago about replacing the SP/LP format with a "technical program" and an "artistic program." To me, this program by Alina Zagitova is full of possibilties. No jumps, exquisite spins, blade work and moves in the field that could be judged as elements, 10s for program components.

By the way, the Zagitova performance has viewer comments and there is a little button that automatically translates them into English. One fool wrote, "Weak program. She didn't do any jumps." I guess she could have tacked on 5 jumps in the last 30 seconds, as per her trademark. ;)

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I have seen lots of programs based on “theme” of “Look at me emoting! Don’t you wish you could do that?” (No.)

“Look at me jumping! Don’t you wish you could do that?” (No.)

“Look at me portraying a character an telling a story! Don’t you wish you could do that?” (No.)

But – “Look what I can do on skates! (YES!!!)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
^ I see I have a feast spread before me to watch all of these. The ISU briefly (and not very enthusiastically) floated the idea a couple of seasons ago about replacing the SP/LP format with a "technical program" and an "artistic program." To me, this program by Alina Zagitova is full of possibilties. No jumps, exquisite spins, blade work and moves in the field that could be judged as elements, 10s for program components.

By the way, the Zagitova performance has viewer comments and there is a little button that automatically translates them into English. One fool wrote, "Weak program. She didn't do any jumps." I guess she could have tacked on 5 jumps in the last 30 seconds, as per her trademark. ;)

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I have seen lots of programs based on “theme” of “Look at me emoting! Don’t you wish you could do that?” (No.)

“Look at me jumping! Don’t you wish you could do that?” (No.)

“Look at me portraying a character an telling a story! Don’t you wish you could do that?” (No.)

But – “Look what I can do on skates! (YES!!!)
Choreographically hers is not much different from most other exhibition programs by freestyle skaters in the current era (a good assessment is watching on mute). I think you'll see a lot more possibilities when you watch those other clips gkelly linked. Also check out Peggy Fleming Trophy (artistic event typically done by elite competitive skaters), maybe Ice Theatre of New York (show skating but a bit less commercial), whatever Elladj Balde does or Le Patin Libre (more contemporary dance). Getting back on topic, I would guess Russia must have some equivalent shows or artistic competitions even if they receive less attention by fans and mainstream media.

Galas, professional show skating and competitive artistic events have some overlap but they tend to balance priorities differently in terms of creativity vs crowd pleasing vs judge pleasing. Ice dance solo or partnered isn't distinguished primarily by its ballroom origins (which to be honest have been extremely diluted down now) but by technical footwork. I've done both solo ice dance and artistic events in adult competitions and they aren't substitutes. I liked them both though.

I feel that from a spectator's point of view if you want to see more entertaining creative skating then why not just focus on developing more artistically sophisticated show skating? (a.k.a. less Disney/Swan Lake on Ice and more like the sort of dance seen in contemporary dance festivals)

About show-type programs, here is what I really liked about Alina’s offering. First, no costume to distract from the skating. This is what everyone should wear in competition. I am unmoved by a performer who comes onto the ice wearing a fur hat and says “Hi, I’m Prince Igor.” What does that have to do with a demonstration of skating skills?

For me, Alina could have left off the bit where she tears up love letters. There is nothing about the actual skating that says, poor me, I’m breaking up with my two-timing boyfriend. (And to cope I am drowning my sorrows in layback spins.) As for the choreography – I don’t know, I am far from an expert – but the piece had what I think of as “skating coherence” in the sense that the progression of skating moves fit together in a pleasing and aesthetically satisfying way.

I once read that the original choreography for Michelle Kwan’s breakout Salome program in 1996 called for her to skate around with a palm up miming carrying John the Baptist’s head on a platter to King Herod. (I hope that wasn’t really true and was just chattering Internet nonesense.)

If you must skate to music from Romeo amd Juliet, please don’t mimic stabbing yourself at the end. What does that have to do with ice skating? (Sasha Cohen once fell out of her closing pose – I think it was at the 2005 December cheesefest? – then when she was laid out on the ice, she tried to play it off by pretending to stab herself in the neck. :laugh: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JFeUJ6rApc&t=3m25s

Philippe Candeloro got a lot of mileage out of sword-fighting down he length of the rink. Elvis impersonators play air guitar. That’s great for comic relief, but to me adds nothing of value in terms of actual skating.

The other thing is that in Zagitova’s program she didn’t do any jumps, no jumps at all. I didn’t even notice, until my attention was called to the fact. I had to go back and watch it again just to make sure I didn’t miss one or two. Throwing a jump into the mix would not have made the program any more complete, to me.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking Alex Breeze' wonderful thread. I'll go away now. :slink:

Last edited: