Russian ladies Olympic team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian ladies Olympic team

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Evgenia is trying to do a Patrick Chan and get a team gold medal. But getting into the Russian ladies team for the olympics is a near impossible feat. She'll have to bet on luck that 2 of the top 4 become inconsistent enough that her weak TES can overcome them.
sorry but please do not rewrite history... Patrick's circumstances were very different... the only thing they having in common is that they got outquad during their last competitive years... Patrick almost retired before the games, feeling he could no longer compete... Zhenya still wants very much to skate. Very different circumstances... Patrick was instrumental for Canada's victory in the team event, but pretty much ANY Russian girl from the top 6-7 contenders could do the job... Canada needed Patrick, Russia does not need Zhenya.

I have not seen much of the younger rising stars... I suspect that we may have even different names in mind in a 6-9 months from now... but considering what I have seen recently, Anna S is clearly the biggest contender.... I was disappointed with A. K. and Sasha this year, but we will see if it's just a period of adaptation to change or if it's decline... It looks like Sasha will come back stronger... Liza is proving how much she wants this by recovering her 3A... and bringing up real programs for the first time in a long time...

So my dream team... and by the way, they will not be competing for Russia.. as they are not allowed to do so (like at previous olympics, they will represent a team of independent athletes, and i suspect, will need to be invited from the IOC) would be Liza, Anna and Zhenya... definitely not what is going to happen but all 3 girls to me show something different, rather than having 3 Eteri quadsters

Last edited:

Lzbee

Final Flight
My dream team would be Anna, Sasha and Aliona.

In the past, we've had maybe one or two skaters doing quads or 3A at a time but others were still able to reach the podium or beat them still. It's the 3A together that changed the landscape of ladies skating forever because all 3 were untouchable last season.

The team that I think will go is Anna, Kamila and possibly Daria. I don't know why but I have a feeling that she might just sneak in there. Sasha has a lot of pressure on her now and Aliona has a very long way to go to get back on top, she may not have enough time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The main difference is that Patrick at the time was still the best men's skater in Canada, so of course they would want him to be on the national team at the Olympics. Evgenia is in a different situation.
i think my post says that already, if you read more than the first sentence : Patrick was instrumental for Canada's victory in the team event, but pretty much ANY Russian girl from the top 6-7 contenders could do the job... Canada needed Patrick, Russia does not need Zhenya.

icybear

Medalist
sorry but please do not rewrite history... Patrick's circumstances were very different... the only thing they having in common is that they got outquad during their last competitive years... Patrick almost retired before the games, feeling he could no longer compete... Zhenya still wants very much to skate. Very different circumstances... Patrick was instrumental for Canada's victory in the team event, but pretty much ANY Russian girl from the top 6-7 contenders could do the job... Canada needed Patrick, Russia does not need Zhenya.

I have not seen much of the younger rising stars... I suspect that we may have even different names in mind in a 6-9 months from now... but considering what I have seen recently, Anna S is clearly the biggest contender.... I was disappointed with A. K. and Sasha this year, but we will see if it's just a period of adaptation to change or if it's decline... It looks like Sasha will come back stronger... Liza is proving how much she wants this by recovering her 3A... and bringing up real programs for the first time in a long time...

So my dream team... and by the way, they will not be competing for Russia.. as they are not allowed to do so (like at previous olympics, they will represent a team of independent athletes, and i suspect, will need to be invited from the IOC) would be Liza, Anna and Zhenya... definitely not what is going to happen but all 3 girls to me show something different, rather than having 3 Eteri quadsters
I am not trying to rewrite history. I was referring to an earlier post where Bobrova said that Evgenia is still obsessed with winning an olympic gold.I was referring to how Evgenia and Chan both have illustrious career but no olympic gold and that the team gold might be the way to get one rather than the singles

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not trying to rewrite history. I was referring to an earlier post where Bobrova said that Evgenia is still obsessed with winning an olympic gold.I was referring to how Evgenia and Chan both have illustrious career but no olympic gold and that the team gold might be the way to get one rather than the singles
the main difference here is that Zhenya's career, like that of most Russian women will not bring her to a second Olympics... even if she were to qualify as a third lady, i doubt they would use her in the team event... so the discussion is moot. And to close the topic about Patrick, he came back, not to win an team gold but to win a singles gold... but the emergence of fancy quads ruined his plans... he lost motivation to compete after a disastrous Skate Canada and even took a break from training... it's a huge difference... for a few weeks, his fans even doubted he would go to Korea.. the fed worked hard, set him up with Ravi, made him understand how needed and important he was for the team medal... very different circumstances, as I said... i wouldn't compare those two at all. Apples and Oranges

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
the main difference here is that Zhenya's career, like that of most Russian women will not bring her to a second Olympics... even if she were to qualify as a third lady, i doubt they would use her in the team event... so the discussion is moot. And to close the topic about Patrick, he came back, not to win an team gold but to win a singles gold... but the emergence of fancy quads ruined his plans... he lost motivation to compete after a disastrous Skate Canada and even took a break from training... it's a huge difference... for a few weeks, his fans even doubted he would go to Korea.. the fed worked hard, set him up with Ravi, made him understand how needed and important he was for the team medal... very different circumstances, as I said... i wouldn't compare those two at all. Apples and Oranges
what team event? I swear Russia is banned from Olympics so only Olympic athletes from Russia, so no team event anyways?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don’t even want to say who I wish to be on the team because I fear I‘ll jinx them, they‘ll get bad luck and I end up with none of them making it. Yes, I am superstitious like that. :biggrin:

Who I think will make it... at this point:

1. Anna
2. Kamila
3. Sasha/Daria

I see no way for Anna to be left off the team if she‘s healthy. She‘s like the Evgenia in 2018, though with less international accomplishments due to the pandemic. But the three national titles speak for themselves. She‘s been reliable and consistent and conveniently, she can also land the two hardest types of quads. So, yes, she‘s the most solid choice and RusFed knows it.

2. Kamila was incredibly hyped this season and I think she‘s still the one who has the potential to win it all. She‘s the Alina to Anna‘s Evgenia. Better technical ability, though not as obviously so as it was with Alina and Zhenya (Anna can land two quads but she‘s also always in danger of getting her lutz and flip edges called (both are ! imo), depending on the panel. She won’t, of course, as long as she‘s among the Russian top 3 but the fact still stands that Kamila has clear edges on both flip and lutz and usually, a more well rotated quad as well as better spins and skating skills) I don‘t think she‘s anywhere close to Anna in terms of presentation but she has nice lines and we‘ve seen at RusNats that her PCS were VERY close to Anna‘s. So, if Anna shows anything close to weakness, they‘ll be ready to push Kamila as number one. Looking at it now, it‘s almost eery how similar these two situations look at this point in time.

Well, I know who I‘ll be rooting for. Come on, redemption for the “old ladies“, Anna! :laugh:

3. Sasha and Daria, maybe Aliona

This is the one where I‘m most undecided. Sasha seems like the most obvious choice but she‘s also not been very reliable so far and she‘s a little hit and miss. Of course, if anyone deserves to go, it‘s her. Imagine the girl revolutionizing ladies figure skating not making it to the Olympics! If she can deliver under pressure a few times (RusNats was a good start), RusFed won‘t leave her home. But she‘ll have to work hard for that spot and she can‘t afford to have a weak moment. We‘ve seen how quick they were to push Daria over her in the SP, despite the latters mistakes.

Basically, Sasha has to be picture perfect as often as she can to build a different narrative and hope that Daria doesn‘t get a 3A or quad. Because if she does, it will be even more difficult.

Aliona, at this point, is a wildcard, which makes me very sad to say. She‘s already very old for a Russian lady (remember, she‘s at the age Evgenia was when things started to go south for her). She showed incredible consistency last season and she obviously is mentally strong, but she‘s battling injuries and illness in an age where you cannot afford to struggle. She‘ll need to go back to at least the layouts she had last season. I‘m praying for her to make it but right now, I‘m not hopeful. That‘s why she’s behind both Sasha and Daria in my ranking.

Maiia and Liza have outside chances; I guess. If Maiia finally lands her quad and does it consistently, she could be a dark horse. Similar for Liza and the three 3As. The Russian fed doesn‘t like to send her because her skating style’s not exactly modern so she would have to be exceptionally good while other favorites would have to exceptionally struggle. I‘d be happy for her but I‘m doubtful it‘s going to happen.

I can‘t see anyone else making it but I‘d very much like to be surprised, by, let‘s say, Zhenya. She DESERVES a second chance, she deserves to have a positive Olympic experience that isn‘t overshadowed by loss, pain and drama. But sadly, we don’t always get what we deserve in life. I don’t see a way for her - even before the injury it was an uphill battle against the quads/3As. Now, with that back injury and lung damage? I‘m happy if she comes to competition at all.

I have no idea about Alina, frankly. If she wants to go through the drill again and give up her other opportunities, the Russian fed would at least surely give her a chance at RusNats, since she‘s the reigning Champ after all. But she’s done it once, does she really want to go through all that pain and suffering in training again, when she has so many other things she could do? If she comes back, then I guess she‘ll be the one Sasha‘ll have to battle with, unless Daria gets a quad/3A.

And btw, yes, I know it‘s impossible to predict and trying is pretty much futile and foolish. But I enjoy going back to these posts to see how utterly wrong (or not, I wasn‘t so wrong in my RusNats predictions after all, so who knows....) I ended up being. I find it amusing. :biggrin:
I agree with every word. Especially how Kamila is Alina to Anna being Zhenya. Been getting that vibe lately and I don't really know what to think of it. Anya seems very poised and unflustered like Zhenya. I wonder how things turn out between Anya and KV and how EG handles the dynamic between them because you know if it reminds us of Evgenia and Alina it will their coaches too.

As for the Olympic team I agree with you as well we have to see if Alona can get her 3A back. If she does it's a game changer and she's back in the mix. I also thank Dasha is a sleeper especially if she can get a 3A.

Another factor could be puberty. Right now the team front runners are certainly Anna Sasha and KV. Puberty is not an issue for Anna at all. She is sleek and sublime like Zhenya was at 16. Sasha she seems to be beating puberty back. Kamilla seems to be entering puberty and growing . If she survives it all. If her free skate at national is any indication she will survive it.

A lot can happen in a year. Let's hope we have figure skating Olympics in 2022. And let's hope we have a world championship these phenomeonol skaters should not have to miss another worlds. For life and covid 19 may get in the way of worlds for the 2nd year in a row.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what team event? I swear Russia is banned from Olympics so only Olympic athletes from Russia, so no team event anyways?
yup... as mentioned, the ban is a joke... the IOC thinks we are idiots. The athletes will be there, just like in 2018... and even if they are not supposed to be "in the same team", they will be... apparently, some of the restrictions are even less intense than in 2018.

Scott512

Record Breaker
To me, it is a sad commentary on a supposedly serious Olympic and international sport that "surviving puberty" is the top goal of promising athletes. I don't have a solution to fix it, but something is wrong with a sport in which the worst fate that can happen to you is that you grow like a normal healthy person.
Don't go Zhulin on me! ;)

The ladies who have been hit by puberty in recent memory are fantastic skaters they just can't rotate their bodies as quickly as the slender girls do.

We know the lady skaters puberty has hurt in terms of being able to skate and rotate their bodies quickly. It's a great sport but it's a flawed sport.

I hope what I wrote is intelligible because I have beer wine and champagne at midnight in me. ;)

Happy New Year GS from Florida!

brakes

On the Ice
To me, it is a sad commentary on a supposedly serious Olympic and international sport that "surviving puberty" is the top goal of promising athletes. I don't have a solution to fix it, but something is wrong with a sport in which the worst fate that can happen to you is that you grow like a normal healthy person.
Is arguably greatest swimmer of all times, Michael Phelps a "normal" person?

3717ECA300000578-3734022-Michael_Phelps_has_cemented_his_title_as_the_greatest_Olympian_o-a-1_1470923412018.jpg

Or NBA most valuable player Giannis Antetokounmpo?

giannis_workout_130801_6.jpg

Or maybe Simone Biles?

A1L4PHF-5WDYHdu4FbcUBV-Fk6-sPPrVEBKAR9w2LQgzE9C81TJsvXI_Rmb8eXKZbKJpOGTh3CQ2LrayIY4h9tgHKVtZX4HsXhD2bWuR2tA8-nf0rqmXGRfPHFI0A-OEGQgUcW6q4cah6tk

Or reigning two times Olympic Champion ski jumper, Kamil Stoch?

180650287_z26112220amp-kamil-stoch.jpg

I wouldn't call their looks "normal", sometimes not even "healthy".
Whole pro sport is a battleground for physical freaks and I can't understand why some fans expect figure skating should be different... :unsure:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is arguably greatest swimmer of all times, Michael Phelps a "normal" person?

3717ECA300000578-3734022-Michael_Phelps_has_cemented_his_title_as_the_greatest_Olympian_o-a-1_1470923412018.jpg

Or NBA most valuable player Giannis Antetokounmpo?

giannis_workout_130801_6.jpg

Or maybe Simone Biles?

A1L4PHF-5WDYHdu4FbcUBV-Fk6-sPPrVEBKAR9w2LQgzE9C81TJsvXI_Rmb8eXKZbKJpOGTh3CQ2LrayIY4h9tgHKVtZX4HsXhD2bWuR2tA8-nf0rqmXGRfPHFI0A-OEGQgUcW6q4cah6tk

Or reigning two times Olympic Champion ski jumper, Kamil Stoch?

180650287_z26112220amp-kamil-stoch.jpg

I wouldn't call their looks "normal", sometimes not even "healthy".
Whole pro sport is a battleground for physical freaks and I can't understand why some fans expect figure skating should be different... :unsure:

and every single one of them competed past puberty. The question is whether any sport should discourage a normal, healthy change such as puberty, by making those changes an impediment to achievement in the sport.

I agree with what @Mathman said, any sport that sees puberty as the “enemy” or a “monster” is very sad. None of these examples have that problem.

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
At this moment it's so hard for me to even guess who will make it. It will obviously depend on who will be healthy and how much will the girls grow this year and deal with it. So I would just say that Daria is the dark horse for me.

And my dream team for the Olympics is Aliona, Anna and Daria.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
See the thing is I don't feel like Kamila is fighting puberty or trying to survive it. She's grown! She's all legs. She's likely still growing but she's still got a sky high 4T and recently learned a 3A.

Weren't people predicting the demise of Sasha's quads and general demise of Anna as well (hehe people are always predicting Anna's demise I really can't keep track of it all)? They've all kept their quads!!!

I distinctly remember (not from this forum) that when Sasha landed her first quad at junior Worlds someone said "She's tiny, wait until she grows, she won't be able to jump like that". Well she grew, she's all muscle and those quads are even more impressive than her junior ones.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can’t we just have an Olympics with Kaori, Rika, and 38 Russians?

At this point, the Olympic entry rules are antiquated. If one country is so dominant, why don’t they get most of the spots?

Last edited: