Russian ladies Olympic team | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Russian ladies Olympic team

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thinking of the Olympic spots, national quotas and the popularity of figure skating I started searching for numbers and found that both ISU Olympic sports - figure skating and speed skating incl. short track - are quite close in popularity, figure skating 29th ahead of speed skating, 30th on the general list. In winter sports FS is 3rd after ice hockey and downhill skiing. Source: http://www.biggestglobalsports.com/
But when we compare the number of Olympic events in FS and speed skating, and the maximal number of athletes per country, there's a stunning difference: FS has now 5 events while speed skating incl. short track has 24! With 3 athletes allowed per event, the number of athletes is incomparable. So maybe ISU should introduce more medalling events in FS so that athletes get more chances? Even the introduction of an artistic and a technical programme would serve that goal provided the existing events are not cancelled.

Nice point and interesting website find. Who's the skater doing the layback in the thumbnail that goes with the entry?

figure

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I understand that it is not necessarily easy to switch, and I did not mean to imply that a skater could simply choose at will where to skate; I am sorry if I gave that impression. I simply meant that I do not second-guess a skater’s decision to switch and I do not think the fact that some skaters do switch is a reason to change the entry spots for Worlds.

Worlds are for the world and if highly competitive skaters, due to their country’s deep field (this of course applies to more than just Russian Ladies) don’t qualify, I understand the frustration, but I do not see that as a reason to change the number of spots per country for Worlds. An expanded Grand Prix could serve the purpose of allowing skaters to qualify for a championship no matter the country👍
I never said the expanded grand Prix is exclusive qualification. An additional 20 or so spots can be available for countries who get 0 spots, achieved by minimum scores at select internationals.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
.Excuse me, her Olympic page has already been closed gloriously back in 2018. She should take what she deserves, not once again someone else's spot!
If you read my entire post, you would see that I want 7 spots, not Evgenia taking someone else’s spot.

Otherwise, I agree that her 2018 Olympic silver was glorious, but she doesn’t see it that way. It was obvious that she accepted this as personal failure, betrayal from Eteri, etc. and is willing to fight for another chance. If you doubt this, check the interview with her close friend Bobrova, who thinks she is still not over the trauma of losing that competition.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I know it was meant as a joke, but as a Czech/Central European you'd probably understand that sovereignty issues can be a real hot potato... 😅
I guess an analogy would be if people started claiming Ukraine is a second Russian team (and not because they have Russian-born/trained skaters). Imagine how that would go down in Crimea 🙈
Of course it was a joke, though if I should say what I truly think about such issues it would go down deep into the politics.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I love it man. It would quit so much more interest in figure skating in all disciplines especially the ladies were like the 2nd 3rd and 4th tier Russian ladies might have a chance to compete. It would make the season better so I want you to write a long letter to the ISU and overnight it to them. ;) Seriously though you're idea is a great plan for figure skating and keeping the fans invested longer and getting new fans. This sport is pretty much a niche sport but should be much more than that.
I tried to submit it a number of times under the ISU content, but it just keeps saying "our system has detected your message as spam". Maybe that's ISUs way of pretending you can contact them, but in reality they don't care what you think.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I tried to submit it a number of times under the ISU content, but it just keeps saying "our system has detected your message as spam". Maybe that's ISUs way of pretending you can contact them, but in reality they don't care what you think.
Well the problem is, a few years back the ISU cut down the entries allowed into the World Championships (although...there was always a 3 athlete rule...), so even if your suggestions went through they probably wouldn't go for them :(

They don't like long competitions, so it also seems unlikely they'd want more than 12 skaters in each GP (in singles at least since that means 2 groups with no ice resurfacing to take up time). On the other hand Junior GPs don't have such a limit, especially not for ladies! I'm not sure how they afford those...so the increased GP circuit might possible.

Still weird they won't accept your email! Do you have an obscure one or are you with Gmail? Maybe you could send it to Text Barton and ask him to pass it on!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Well the problem is, a few years back the ISU cut down the entries allowed into the World Championships (although...there was always a 3 athlete rule...), so even if your suggestions went through they probably wouldn't go for them :(

They don't like long competitions, so it also seems unlikely they'd want more than 12 skaters in each GP (in singles at least since that means 2 groups with no ice resurfacing to take up time). On the other hand Junior GPs don't have such a limit, especially not for ladies! I'm not sure how they afford those...so the increased GP circuit might possible.

Still weird they won't accept your email! Do you have an obscure one or are you with Gmail? Maybe you could send it to Text Barton and ask him to pass it on!
I use Gmail. It just automatically detects as spam and won't let me submit.
30-40 athletes doesn't seem excessive for one competition per year. the extended GP is 12 per GP (including GPF), with a total of 16 GPs + GPF over a period of 26 weeks with no europeans or 4CC's (4CC's has always been relatively pointless for the athletes, and Europeans has fallen in popularity since Javi left).

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
If you read my entire post, you would see that I want 7 spots, not Evgenia taking someone else’s spot.

Otherwise, I agree that her 2018 Olympic silver was glorious, but she doesn’t see it that way. It was obvious that she accepted this as personal failure, betrayal from Eteri, etc. and is willing to fight for another chance. If you doubt this, check the interview with her close friend Bobkova, who thinks she is still not over the trauma of losing that competition.
I am just telling the truth, not some unrealistic dream.

The reason Medvedeva could not get over the defeat of that Event is because her close rival, also her teammate, rising directly from the junior, grabbed the gold medal with a much stronger presentation at the arena, not because of the so-called "betrayal " by her coach. She is fully aware of that.

Scott512

Record Breaker
You have some great ideas and I'm sorry you could not get through to the ISU. It must be harder trying to contact the ISU than your local politician.. ;) That is ridiculous.

I guess you could write a letter on paper or type it on paper and mail it to them at their headquarters. And the girls and ladies doing the quads and recent years has pushed ladies figure skating forward but the sport I fear is not going forward and we need new younger leadership at the ISU for that to happen.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
You have some great ideas and I'm sorry you could not get through to the ISU. It must be harder trying to contact the ISU than your local politician.. ;) That is ridiculous.

I guess you could write a letter on paper or type it on paper and mail it to them at their headquarters. And the girls and ladies doing the quads and recent years has pushed ladies figure skating forward but the sport I fear is not going forward and we need new younger leadership at the ISU for that to happen.
It's harder to contact the ISU than the Prime Minister of my country. Not just the local politicians.
This isn't the first time I've had idea but being stuck in contacting(Bonus points for +3Lo combinations, making +eu+3S a two jump to see more +3+3 and +eu+4S in the SP, allowing a quad in the SP for ladies but raising the scale factor).

I wish there was an easier way.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
I am just telling the truth, not some unrealistic dream.

The reason Medvedeva could not get over the defeat of that Event is because her close rival, also her teammate, rising directly from the junior, grabbed the gold medal with a much stronger presentation at the arena, not because of the so-called "betrayal " by her coach. She is fully aware of that.
I am not sure. Her bitter words in the K&C (“congrats, now you have an OC”), her actions afterwords, the interview with the close friend, Bobrova, to me point that she felt betrayed. Whatever the case, she is a fighter and I would be glad to see her do her best and more. (Just to avoid misunderstandings on this sensitive topic, I believe that Alina fully deserved and rightfully won her gold medal).

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's harder to contact the ISU than the Prime Minister of my country. Not just the local politicians.
This isn't the first time I've had idea but being stuck in contacting(Bonus points for +3Lo combinations, making +eu+3S a two jump to see more +3+3 and +eu+4S in the SP, allowing a quad in the SP for ladies but raising the scale factor).

I wish there was an easier way.
Will tell your p.m. that you voted for him and ask him to deliver this to the ISU headquarters! ;)

It's frustrating seeing you are good ideas and others good ideas to move the sport forward to do more for it down the road is just the way it is.

To think that the ISU does not have people come up with ideas like yours for their sport is quite unbelievable and unforgivable.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Will tell your p.m. that you voted for him and ask him to deliver this to the ISU headquarters! ;)

It's frustrating seeing you are good ideas and others good ideas to move the sport forward to do more for it down the road is just the way it is.

To think that the ISU does not have people come up with ideas like yours for their sport is quite unbelievable and unforgivable.
Yes, instead in their great wisdom they came up with the "q" call that 99% of the time is impossible to call accurately. They make changes for the sake of changes (without thinking them through), just to show that they are important rather than actually trying to move forwards as a sport.

Thats a no-go. I might be able to contact my PM, but my PM probably wouldn't be able to get through to the ISU.

To tell the truth, it IS unbelievable.

I bet the ISU brain trust is constantly batting around ideas for an expanded Grand Prix and many other wish list items. Every once in a while they even try something out experimentally (or at least put it up for a vote in various committees and in the general ISU congress). There are many reasons -- starting with money -- why not every good idea sees the light of day.

One Golden Skate poster wrote extensively to Mr. Lakernik when Lakernik was chairman of the Technical Committee with extensive suggestions about revisions to the Code of Points. I don't think that the ISU actually adopted any of them, but they did acknowledge the merit of the proposals publicly, mentioning the letter-writer by name.

Last edited:
By the way, the same thing applies to the various proposals to allow strong countries to have more than three places at worlds, etc. Far from, "why doesn't the ISU think of this idea?" -- they think about it all the time, considering pros and cons (just like e do ;) )

The reason that this proposal is a non-starter is that any major rule changes must be voted on by the membership at the ISU congress. (The next one is scheduled for Phuket, Thailand (at the Hilton Phuket Hotel) at the beginning of June, 2021 -- unless it has to be held virtually. Proposals are submitted to the Congress either by individual members (i.e., national federations) or by the ISU Council, having received recommendations from the ISU Technical Commettee, etc. (Proposals submitted by individual federations rarely are able to rally enough support to pass, unless they are endorsed by the Counccil.)

A country like Russia may have the best skaters, and in addition have political clout within the ISU hierarchy, but it still has only one vote at the Congress (or sometimes two, if there is a separate Speed Skating Federation that is a member of the ISU as well. The Speed Skaters get to vote even on resolutions that affect only Figure Sksting, which can also lead to an impass.)

Anyway, the great majority of federations are not going to vote for a proposal that they view as giving an advantage to a few big-shot federations at the relative disadvantage of the little guys. (Democracy. :) )

Last edited:

ruga

Final Flight
On dream team: Evgenia, Aliona, Alexandra/Daria
On realistic team: Anna, Kamila, Alexandra

On Olympics: the OG are absolutely vital to the popularity of figure skating. While many only watch FS during the Games, some stay and become fans. Besides, being an Olympic champion can make a huge impact on skater's career and on the state of sport in their home country, especially if that country wasn't known much for figure skating before.

On quotas: basically all individual sports in the world have quotas. Those that don't usually have a distributed popularity in many countries so it's not necessary. While we, fans, would definitely love to watch skaters with good stable jumps and developed artistry instead of weaker skaters from small federations, it's also vital to the popularity of the sport that many countries are represented. Otherwise, FS will stay concentrated in those 5 or 6 countries and die off in the rest of them.

On additional competitions to compensate quotas and increase popularity: I definitely loved the idea of bigger grand prix and the final with more skaters. I'd also say that skaters should do more competitions - maybe 3-5 stages instead of 2, and a final of 20 skaters maybe. That way we could have both Worlds and 'Best of the best' competition. But I also like Europeans and 4CC, many sports have continental championships and they're quite interesting, so I'd rather have them stay

lappo

Final Flight
Yuna Kim, free skate at the 2010 Olympics
It's not Yuna because she had swaroski only on the upper part of her dress and she used her tights over her boots in most of her senior career...so the mistery is still there! I checked two ladies who had similar dresses in the past (Akiko Suzuki and Elizabet T) but it doesn't seem it's either of them! Any help?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I would like is a competition after Worlds, Between April to July. Top 12 seasons best, it can include juniors. That way if one country dominates so be it. This competition would not be used for senior ranking. And the skaters could use old or new programs.

It's not Yuna because she had swaroski only on the upper part of her dress and she used her tights over her boots in most of her senior career...so the mistery is still there! I checked two ladies who had similar dresses in the past (Akiko Suzuki and Elizabet T) but it doesn't seem it's either of them! Any help?
So true! (The tights-over-boots thing should have given it away). Actually, I was about to comment on the weak hands and free leg positions, but what do I know? :)