Russian ladies Olympic team | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Russian ladies Olympic team

emmaleemochizuki

On the Ice
My prediction at this stage for the olympic team.

Kamila and Anna I think has a very decent chance of being on the team.

My third will go to Sasha.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
My prediction at this stage for the olympic team.

Kamila and Anna I think has a very decent chance of being on the team.

My third will go to Sasha.
It's curently the most probale team, if there won't be any unexpected or unlucky coincidences. Of course it is still possible Aliona will get back to the form, Daria will gain 3A etc.

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I'm still doubtful the olympics will happen next year, it may not be until 2023. Remember, if the summer olympics happen first and it turns out to be disastrous...
In 2 years anna shcherbakova will be 18, alyona may be applying for medical school, someone may lose her jumps, someone else may lose her jumps....
And u can only delay puberty for so long.

Dawn825

Medalist
Idk if there's been more news on it, but it seems more likely that summer Olympics will be cancelled and 22 set to go on as planned for now.

I know I'm not being very generous by saying I'm having a hard time rooting for any lady to be the next Olympic champion. Maybe I'd want it to be Kostornaia but she's got no chance. Neither does Kihira, who'd be my other choice. If the current likely Russian team/Olympic champion candidates are Trusova, Scherbakova, and Valieva - I've got big issues with all of them 😩

Reactions: Giu

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
On the bright side, no matter what ladies get picked, all three of them could come home with gold medals. (Team - 2[SP/FS] Individual - 1).

ruga

Final Flight
On the bright side, no matter what ladies get picked, all three of them could come home with gold medals. (Team - 2[SP/FS] Individual - 1).
Technically yes, but Russia will definitely send their #1 and #2 skaters to Team event, so the 3rd one will be left with no gold (unless she delivers a very good skate during individual events).

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Although she's an underdog/dark horse in the Olympic Team selection, I think one thing Daria Usacheva has proven is that she can handle pressure: skated last in the free skate at Junior Worlds, under pressure to medal and delivered; skated last in the free skate at Russian Nationals after 3 back-to-back incredible skates and went clean; skated last in the Channel One Cup, with the team counting on her so they could win, she delivers again. Also, IIRC, she's only fallen once this season (Russian Cup, Stage 3).
I'm not sure she'll make the team without a 3A/quad, but her consistency is impressive and may prove significant if other skaters are inconsistent next season.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Although she's an underdog/dark horse in the Olympic Team selection, I think one thing Daria Usacheva has proven is that she can handle pressure: skated last in the free skate at Junior Worlds, under pressure to medal and delivered; skated last in the free skate at Russian Nationals after 3 back-to-back incredible skates and went clean; skated last in the Channel One Cup, with the team counting on her so they could win, she delivers again. Also, IIRC, she's only fallen once this season (Russian Cup, Stage 3).
I'm not sure she'll make the team without a 3A/quad, but her consistency is impressive and may prove significant if other skaters are inconsistent next season.
And she's a beautiful performer, with overall nice skating quality!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Discussing/predicting the Russian ladies Olympic team is, IMHO like discussing/predicting what will happen with this Covid mess in coming times. Who knows what will happen. Remember Medvedeva was considered an absolute lock for the OGM until she fractured her foot in late 2017.

Dawn825

Medalist
Remember Medvedeva was considered an absolute lock for the OGM until she fractured her foot in late 2017.
Not exactly true, some people were looking over their shoulders at Zagitova coming up. TSL definitely definitely called Zagitova the dark horse for Olympic champion at some point in her last year as a junior.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Could the world team play a role in who gets spots for the Olympics next year? I think one of the most notable showdowns will be at the Russia Cup Final between Tuktamysheva and Kostornaia. Whichever one doesn’t make the world team may already end up on the chopping block for 2022... which is devastating because they’re both extremely talented...

macy

Record Breaker
Could the world team play a role in who gets spots for the Olympics next year? I think one of the most notable showdowns will be at the Russia Cup Final between Tuktamysheva and Kostornaia. Whichever one doesn’t make the world team may already end up on the chopping block for 2022... which is devastating because they’re both extremely talented...
yup, completely agree. the world team selection will be really important as to who will have the leg up next year, and this means Kostornaia needs to get it together and make a strong showing, and probably most importantly, beat Liza.

but still, all of next season will count too and a lot can happen.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
yup, completely agree. the world team selection will be really important as to who will have the leg up next year, and this means Kostornaia needs to get it together and make a strong showing, and probably most importantly, beat Liza.

but still, all of next season will count too and a lot can happen.
True, but we are still not sure what the Grand Prix will look like, so this worlds is crucial for all skaters involved

lappo

Final Flight
I feel the same, Daria has proved time and again that she can withstand pressure incredibly well when things count and this is a fundamental quality looking towards the Olympics; in any other country she would be a lock and she would be the one to go for the LP in the team event. But in Russia the competition between ladies is so crazy that she may not even be able to make the team, which is honestly incredibly sad. If things stays as they are now my prediction for the team would be Anna, Kamila and Sasha; but things didn't stay the same in the previous Olympics so who knows?

Dawn825

Medalist
I don't think it's sad if Daria doesn't make the Olympic team at 15. Most people don't, going to the Olympics is supposed to be the culmination of an athlete's career, not the beginning. If she's that good, her career won't be over in 2 years and she'll have plenty of chances for World medals and the next Olympic team.

macy

Record Breaker
I don't think it's sad if Daria doesn't make the Olympic team at 15. Most people don't, going to the Olympics is supposed to be the culmination of an athlete's career, not the beginning. If she's that good, her career won't be over in 2 years and she'll have plenty of chances for World medals and the next Olympic team.
Based on the last 8 years or so in Russian ladies skating, that's not true at all.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I do think, unfortunately, that it will be the first and last chance for all of Kromykh/Usacheva/Kostornaia/Shcherbakova. The Russian field is just way too deep, and they already have Akatieva/Petrosyan in the making, and maybe Zhilina/Samodelkina. The only one who can really do it for 2026 is Trusova, IMO - and even then it must be taken into account all the quads she keeps doing, which might tax her physical health by that time.

For Worlds, though, yes, Usacheva has great prospects. Even if she doesn't make Beijing, it's likely she could be first sub that year for both that and the Worlds team - the second being especially beneficial since one of the Olympic team might choose not to skate at Worlds. And she can do great next season.

If I'm making it sound too bleak and like I'm overthinking it, well... it's unfortunately been the case for a bit with the Russian ladies, IMO.