Russian Skaters, Politics, and the Russia-Ukraine War | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Russian Skaters, Politics, and the Russia-Ukraine War

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The main thing, the family is now in Canada, even if she never competes again. Better life.
i cannot imagine she would not be allowed to compete ever again... I believe an athlete would be able to request a release from ISU or CAS or whatever, if it's not given to her by her federation as expected. Especially in her case, as she didn't even need one.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
i cannot imagine she would not be allowed to compete ever again... I believe an athlete would be able to request a release from ISU or CAS or whatever, if it's not given to her by her federation as expected. Especially in her case, as she didn't even need one.
I dunno. Her IG doesn’t show any training, so…

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I dunno. Her IG doesn’t show any training, so…
if it is because she is no longer at champs, that's not a bad thing.... maybe she was told to remain quiet until things are done... didn't they say late november or was it early december?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
if it is because she is no longer at champs, that's not a bad thing.... maybe she was told to remain quiet until things are done... didn't they say late november or was it early december?
They just said ‘in December’ but given Gorshkov’s passing and the frequency of competitions in Russia, I dunno if they would hustle to review all the applications (they quoted 19…)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They just said ‘in December’ but given Gorshkov’s passing and the frequency of competitions in Russia, I dunno if they would hustle to review all the applications (they quoted 19…)
if they are as fast as with WADA ... it probably means December 2027

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I stumbled across a YouTube video that says, that Lipnitskaya's husband was mobilized and has started training already. Does anyone know more? They have a little girl and I feel for them.

icetug

Medalist

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Look here: https://fs-gossips.com/we-could-hel...-skater-vladislav-tarasenko-was-mobilized-to/
Seems he decided to go despite he was mobilized by mistake. So I feel for Yulia and their baby, but it's hard to feel for him...
Interesting. But it doesn't sound as if he was summoned by mistake. Plushenko's wife said the they could have helped him to get deferment. He didn't want that. So you could say, that he didn't want any special treatment, only because he knows influencial people. I have respect for that. He seems to be a decent man.

Novalis

Record Breaker
Interesting. But it doesn't sound as if he was summoned by mistake. Plushenko's wife said the they could have helped him to get deferment. He didn't want that. So you could say, that he didn't want any special treatment, only because he knows influencial people. I have respect for that. He seems to be a decent man.
Any Russian soldier who even remotely voluntarily goes to Ukraine to murder people is nothing more than a disgusting criminal.

icetug

Medalist
"He wasn’t in a category of the first mobilized. He did not serve in the army, was in the sports company. He was called by mistake. He did not dispute this mistake". As I understand it, the system of drafting into the army turned out to be faulty, people were drafted who should not have been drafted. In this situation, you can explain the mistake. Vlad decided not to explain anything. I don't know if that's decency.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Any Russian soldier who even remotely voluntarily goes to Ukraine to murder people is nothing more than a disgusting criminal.
No. I judge people on their behavior, not their beliefs.

"He wasn’t in a category of the first mobilized. He did not serve in the army, was in the sports company. He was called by mistake. He did not dispute this mistake". As I understand it, the system of drafting into the army turned out to be faulty, people were drafted who should not have been drafted. In this situation, you can explain the mistake. Vlad decided not to explain anything. I don't know if that's decency.
I don't believe this "mistake" narrative. More men are mobilized than officially acknowledged.

That anyone with a young child would not try to get out of going to war is beyond me.
Many soldiers have children. They believe in what they do. I don't know how I would view the situation, if I was Russian.

Novalis

Record Breaker
No. I judge people on their behavior, not their beliefs.

Well that's a recipe for disaster 😂😂😂

So I take it that a polite SS officer is totally your thing

But seriously this distinction between action and belief is total nonsense anyway, since actions are very much based on beliefs.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Well that's a recipe for disaster 😂😂😂

So I take it that a polite SS officer is totally your thing

But seriously this distinction between action and belief is total nonsense anyway, since actions are very much based on beliefs.
There were decent men in the SS.
I don't judge a young man, who has radical beliefs, if he doesn't act on his beliefs. The distinction is important. A paedophile who suppresses his urges can't be condemned and deserves respect.
How many young Germans found themselves in a dilemma during WWII? They thought they'd fight for a just cause, that's all they ever learned. My grandfather deserted. Many did and many died. He was lucky. But it surely never crossed his mind to evade mobilization. He was proud that he could go. He wasn't proud when he came home, but scared and disturbed by what he had seen and what was expected of him. I never condemned him, so how could I condemn Lipnitskaya's husband? Only he knows, what he's willing to do. But I respect the fact, that he's not trying to get another man, who might also be a father, go instead of him.

Novalis

Record Breaker
There were decent men in the SS.
I don't judge a young man, who has radical beliefs, if he doesn't act on his beliefs. The distinction is important. A paedophile who suppresses his urges can't be condemned and deserves respect.
How many young Germans found themselves in a dilemma during WWII? They thought they'd fight for a just cause, that's all they ever learned. My grandfather deserted. Many did and many died. He was lucky. But it surely never crossed his mind to evade mobilization. He was proud that he could go. He wasn't proud when he came home, but scared and disturbed by what he had seen and what was expected of him. I never condemned him, so how could I condemn Lipnitskaya's husband? Only he knows, what he's willing to do. But I respect the fact, that he's not trying to get another man, who might also be a father, go instead of him.
There are many things I would like to say here, but not doing long posts, let's just say I don't see the concepts action and belief the same way as you.

But as others pointed out, you simply use your imagination to justify Lips husband in ways that simply aren't there in the story. Force yourself to see a zombified idiot (or worse) in some strange positive light.

Amei

Record Breaker

Would you want to owe Plushenko or his wife? If they helped get him deferment that would make Lipnitskaya and her husband indebted to the Plushenkos/AoP for the rest of their lives. Potentially given that there's been press about him, he won't go somewhere dangerous and will be able to get out of this relatively unscathed, but probably didn't have a lot of good options for him when he was drafted/summoned.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There are many things I would like to say here, but not doing long posts, let's just say I don't see the concepts action and belief the same way as you.

But as others pointed out, you simply use your imagination to justify Lips husband in ways that simply aren't there in the story. Force yourself to see a zombified idiot (or worse) in some strange positive light.
I'm simply not inclined to think bad of people only because they are from a certain nation and want to fulfill their obligations.
f.e. I don't think bad of paedophiles who fight their urges. Who am I to judge people for their thoughts? Actions matter.

Would you want to owe Plushenko or his wife? If they helped get him deferment that would make Lipnitskaya and her husband indebted to the Plushenkos/AoP for the rest of their lives. Potentially given that there's been press about him, he won't go somewhere dangerous and will be able to get out of this relatively unscathed, but probably didn't have a lot of good options for him when he was drafted/summoned.
I certainly wouldn't want to fight in this war. I met two Ukrainian families with small children here in Austria. Relatively rich, because they have the money to evade the mobilization, but they have to travel constantly. I can understand it, but I can also see why those men are considered to be cowards in Ukraine.
Lipnitskaya's husband worked for Plushenko, so there is a connection. If he really wouldn't have wanted to go, he would have used it. I don't think that the Russian army is a nice place for a figure skater. I don't think that he knows what he agreed to. Let's hope that there will be peace soon, for everyone involved.

Novalis

Record Breaker
I don't think that the Russian army is a nice place for a figure skater. I don't think that he knows what he agreed to. Let's hope that there will be peace soon, for everyone involved.

And now your imagination is even turning him in to a some kind of victim, like because he's a figure skater he'll be on the bottom of the hierarchy. A true hero, who doesn't even know what he signed up to.

Let's see: He seems to be an ethnic slav from a major city. Those are the most protected (from harm) soldiers within the Russian army. He is also married to a very famous cutie and knows many influential people.

You know, I think your hero will be just fine

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm simply not inclined to think bad of people only because they are from a certain nation and want to fulfill their obligations.
f.e. I don't think bad of paedophiles who fight their urges. Who am I to judge people for their thoughts? Actions matter.

I certainly wouldn't want to fight in this war. I met two Ukrainian families with small children here in Austria. Relatively rich, because they have the money to evade the mobilization, but they have to travel constantly. I can understand it, but I can also see why those men are considered to be cowards in Ukraine.
Lipnitskaya's husband worked for Plushenko, so there is a connection. If he really wouldn't have wanted to go, he would have used it. I don't think that the Russian army is a nice place for a figure skater. I don't think that he knows what he agreed to. Let's hope that there will be peace soon, for everyone involved.

Right now they work willingly for Plushenko, my point was if the Plushenko's assisted in getting him out of serving that would indebt him (& his wife) to them - that's not a position i would want to be in