Russian-US Visa issues | Golden Skate

Russian-US Visa issues

Amei

Record Breaker
What update was this?

This is from Sports.ru: https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1100936133-aleksandr-kogan-o-vizax-ssha.html

The general director of the Russian Figure Skating Federation ( FFKR ), Alexander Kogan, spoke about the problems with obtaining American visas for athletes.

Earlier, the US Embassy in Moscow suspended the issuance of all types of visas, except for diplomatic ones. According to the Russian Ministry of Sports, Russian athletes run the risk of not competing in many qualifying competitions held in the United States before the Beijing Olympics.

“There is such a problem. The federation is doing everything possible for the skaters to perform at the (Grand Prix stage) of Skate America, ”said Kogan.

Amei

Record Breaker
In terms of the visa issue with Skate America for Russian skaters; I think that the Russian Fed could pressure the Russian government to rescind and refuse any visas to US skaters to compete in Russia and say they'll get their visas when our skaters their visas.

readernick

Medalist
In terms of the visa issue with Skate America for Russian skaters; I think that the Russian Fed could pressure the Russian government to rescind and refuse any visas to US skaters to compete in Russia and say they'll get their visas when our skaters their visas.
It wouldn't matter. The US Government has absolutely zero interest in sports and even less in figure skating. If the US skaters can't make it to Russia 💁‍♀️. The Russian skaters need to find a way to get vaccinated with a vaccine that is widely accepted around the world or submit the appropriate paperwork on the Sputnik vaccine to the WHO.( which they haven't done) North American, Asian and European governments ( who couldn't care less about figure skating) aren't necessarily going to make exceptions for small sporting events. The ISU should be better prepared for this situation, and give athletes better advice.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
It wouldn't matter. The US Government has absolutely zero interest in sports and even less in figure skating. If the US skaters can't make it to Russia 💁‍♀️.

Well they have to try something. The ISU should start getting some type of stipulations in the contracts to host events that the hosting fed must provide assurances and assistance in obtaining any necessary paperwork for any and all foreign skaters to attend the event.

readernick

Medalist
Well they have to try something. The ISU should start getting some type of stipulations in the contracts to host events that the hosting fed must provide assurances and assistance in obtaining any necessary paperwork for any and all foreign skaters to attend the event.
Likely impossible for the ISU to request this at the moment. Outside if Russia, the ISU has little power over government decisions. So, what counties actually have the ability to guarantee this? No countries in Europe, North America, or Asia since their governments could change regulations related to COVID-19 at any moment. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by these difficulties. It was clear from the beginning this season would be very unstable.

Assigning skaters to more regional GPs could be a good idea. Canadians and Americans have more freedom of travel between those two countries. European skaters have freedom in the EU. Many Asian travelers can go anywhere due to low COVID-19 rates. ( Although Japanese numbers and hence restrictions are going up). Russia is in a bit if a difficult situation but there is the Russian GP.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Likely impossible for the ISU to request this at the moment. Outside if Russia, the ISU has little power over government decisions. So, what counties actually have the ability to guarantee this at the moment? No countries in Europe, North America, or Asia since their governments could change regulations related to COVID-19 at any moment. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by these difficulties. It was clear from the beginning this season would be very unstable.

The Russian's getting visas for the US though, to my understanding, doesn't have anything to do with Covid.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Russian fed to retaliate US skaters is nonsense. USFS's responsibility is to send GP invitations to Russian fed so they can go to the US embassy to apply for visas. If the US embassy refuse to issue visas due to covid immunization issues. The best Russian fed could do is to have Russian government import some approved vaccines for the affected Russian athletes.

Amei

Record Breaker
No, it has to do with restrictions that the RUSSIAN government imposed on the US embassy and has been in place since May 12.

So in other words, it's their own fault.

Its not something that's specifically on Russia, really a tit-for-tat situation that's been done for years between the 2 countries. 1 will expel a diplomat or diplomats, then the other will force staff reductions, recall an ambassador, etc. Which is kinda why I made the comment (and super sorry that I may have pushed this thread OT) that the Russian Fed should seek to have the US skaters visas rescinded until all of the Russian skaters have their visas; will it make a difference I do not know, but it would be continuing the tit-for-tat tradition between the 2 countries.

readernick

Medalist
Its not something that's specifically on Russia, really a tit-for-tat situation that's been done for years between the 2 countries. 1 will expel a diplomat or diplomats, then the other will force staff reductions, recall an ambassador, etc. Which is kinda why I made the comment (and super sorry that I may have pushed this thread OT) that the Russian Fed should seek to have the US skaters visas rescinded until all of the Russian skaters have their visas; will it make a difference I do not know, but it would be continuing the tit-for-tat tradition between the 2 countries.
In this case though, the Russian government has literally made it impossible for the US Embassy to carry out it's job due to its restrictions. They have no staff. So, it is completely on the Russian government. Not allowing US citizens to get visas will not solve this problem.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU isn't going to do anything that would interrupt revenue streams.

I have no idea what the deal is with the visas for Russians, but I doubt it has anything to do with COVID vaccines.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
In this case though, the Russian government has literally made it impossible for the US Embassy to carry out it's job due to its restrictions. They have no staff. So, it is completely on the Russian government. Not allowing US citizens to get visas will not solve this problem.
That's what you think. In reality Russia agreed to match the number of US diplomats in Russia to the number of Russian diplomats working in the US. But US does not want to bring Americans. And yes, Russia forbade to hire Russian nationals - after all this one-sided sanctions may be there is a logic in this decision. That's the reason for the disproportion. Anyway, blaming Russian government is politics which is not allowed on this board. Or some animals are more equal?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Who does this actually affect:
USA athletes assigned to Rostelecom: Men--Naumov and Pulkinen. (Naumov may also have a Russian passport via parentage. If so, wouldn't need a visa, maybe someone can verify). Women--Bell. Pairs--Lu/Mitrofanov. Dance--Hawayek/Baker. Total of 6 or 7 athletes.
Russian athletes assigned to Skate America: Men--Danelian and Samsonov. Women--Sinytsina, Trusova, Usacheva. Pairs--Boikova/Kozlowski, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Tarasova/Morozov. I believe the last two teams have valid US visas already. Dance--Morozov/Bagin, Zagorski/Guerreiro. Annabelle Morozov would have a US passport by birth, no need for visa (that doesn't help Bagin though). Zagorski and Guerreiro have alternate passports they can travel on that don't require a visa. Total of 8 athletes needing visas.

Perhaps the affected Russian athletes can get special permission to apply for US visas at an Embassy elsewhere in Europe, if they already have valid visas (or don't need a visa ) for a particular country. If any of them have ever had a US visa before, they might be able to get an interview requirement waived. Point being, there are possible options. Surely someone has thought of this, rather than stand around wringing hands and letting precious time go by. The ISU could also do what they are doing for the JGP, and allow some switches and scrambling around. It's not normal, but nothing about this season is going to be normal anyway.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who does this actually affect:
USA athletes assigned to Rostelecom: Men--Naumov and Pulkinen. (Naumov may also have a Russian passport via parentage. If so, wouldn't need a visa, maybe someone can verify). Women--Bell. Pairs--Lu/Mitrofanov. Dance--Hawayek/Baker. Total of 6 or 7 athletes.
Russian athletes assigned to Skate America: Men--Danelian and Samsonov. Women--Sinytsina, Trusova, Usacheva. Pairs--Boikova/Kozlowski, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Tarasova/Morozov. I believe the last two teams have valid US visas already. Dance--Morozov/Bagin, Zagorski/Guerreiro. Annabelle Morozov would have a US passport by birth, no need for visa (that doesn't help Bagin though). Zagorski and Guerreiro have alternate passports they can travel on that don't require a visa. Total of 8 athletes needing visas.

Perhaps the affected Russian athletes can get special permission to apply for US visas at an Embassy elsewhere in Europe, if they already have valid visas (or don't need a visa ) for a particular country. If any of them have ever had a US visa before, they might be able to get an interview requirement waived. Point being, there are possible options. Surely someone has thought of this, rather than stand around wringing hands and letting precious time go by. The ISU could also do what they are doing for the JGP, and allow some switches and scrambling around. It's not normal, but nothing about this season is going to be normal anyway.
Though skaters may have CITIZENSHIP in multiple countries, and thus be entitled to a passport, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have current, valid passports from that country. Passports do expire, and it can be non-trivial to renew them from another country.

People I know who are Canadian citizens living in the US usually renew their passports before they expire by visiting Canada. Those who are exclusively Canadian have to wait for their new passports to arrive before they can return to the US; dual citizens can return to the US using their US passports and have their new Canadian passport mailed to their US address (surcharges apply).

You can also apply for a passport at a consulate of the issuing country, but I suspect that COVID has made this problematical.