Ryuju Hino

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju’s recent tweets: https://twitter.com/vnagar_juna

After Chubu SP he tweeted:
“I’ve been wearing a face mask hiding my sour face [laughter]
But, what a joy it is to be able to compete at an event.
I feel fine competing without spectators, as TP is like this [laughter].” (t/n: I searched the net but could not figure out what TP is. I’m guessing it means a test skate behind closed doors.)

Before Chubu FS he tweeted.
“I’m feeling a little unsettled in my iffy state of after competition and still before competition [laughter].
I want to relax today and devote myself to FOD and the last performance (FS).
Thanks to my part time job (t/n: at Howa), I have strong feelings about this event [laughs].
Good luck, everybody!”

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Is Ryuju saying he plans to retire this season or the next? I suspected he would but still. -_- I hope he can still skate to Gettysburg as he wanted but the article is saying something about keeping the FS if he decides to compete?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Is Ryuju saying he plans to retire this season or the next? I suspected he would but still. -_- I hope he can still skate to Gettysburg as he wanted but the article is saying something about keeping the FS if he decides to compete?
Translation of the above article:

His free program this season is the soundtrack of “The Truman Show.” He chose this piece as his last FS music. “I will retire after this season or next season; either way I will keep this free program,” he expressed his intention of retirement.

When asked why he started to think about retirement, he noted “Maybe fatigue. Since novice days I have been working hard at practice and competitions. For about 20 years I have been doing figure skating every day. I’ve seen almost all skaters my age and younger quit skating at the time of graduating from college, and I feel lonelier than ever being left out. I feel I’ve reached the limit of my physical strength. I told myself this would be my last, and the best I can do is to continue working hard for one or two more years, since I am nearly at the end of my rope, physically and mentally.

This competition has spectators. At the end of this online interview, he expressed his strong feelings for his fans. “Thank you very much for cheering for me for many years. When I got notified of Japan Open, I seriously asked them ‘Huh??, What am I supposed to do??’ I had never imagined myself being a participant. When I was told that I could skate there, I was really surprised and happy as well. Now that I will skate on such a big stage, I have to give a 100 percent, 120 percent. I’ve been preparing for that, and I will give my all until the end, whether my jumps fail or not. I would appreciate your support,” he spoke his enthusiasm.

surimi

Record Breaker
Here's Ryuju's JO protocol: https://jsfresults.com/InterNational/2020-2021/japanopen/data0105.pdf
He did fall, 3 times, the poor thing, but I hope he was true to his word and gave it his all, and hopefully enjoyed it. Now that he is preparing to take his bows in a year or two, some falls don't really matter (as long as he doesn't get hurt). They are not what his fans remember, and I hope he knows that. I feel so sorry to hear he's so exhausted in body and mind.
Any videos? I cannot find either the FP or the gala :[

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju tweeted after JO and CaOI: https://twitter.com/Vnagar_juna/status/1312693909009518592/photo/1 (Chukyo skaters posing with fingers making the "C" shape.)
"I'll do my best to fix the issues I've found this time by the Western Sectionals so that I can step up my performance. These five skaters are particularly tired! (lol)" <--- They skated at JO & CaoI one week after the Chubu regionals.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Ryuju is in 4th after the SP. He received a score of 71.75. I couldn't find a video, but here are at least his thoughts: https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/10/30/kiji/20201030s00079000218000c.html
He says 「もう少し高いレベルの構成でやりたかった」と振り返った日野だが、「6分間練習で、ちょっと無理そうでレベルを落とした。ジャンプで大きなミスなく終われた」Wildly guessing with google translate's help, he says he wanted a higher level for his program, but in the warmup he couldn't perform it, so he decided to lower the level, and finished without a major mistake in the jump passes?
Pity people are not uploading Ryuju, I would really like to see this SP. Especially since the article mentions he wants to retire this season or the next.

surimi

Record Breaker
Ryuju's free skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTENTNMBG4
He finished 5th with a score of 199.45. Here are his thoughts: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/554e425b28b91b819bcb69b4f45785448f840b23 (in Japanese) Does it say anywhere when exactly he is planning to retire? It sounds like it is this season, presumably after Japan Championships?
It's a pity because I find his FS especially, quite nice to watch. It's such a peaceful tune, it makes me calm to watch him skate to it. And he does a good job, too. There was one fall which looked painful, but apart from that I really enjoyed the program. I think he hasn't been this clean for a couple of seasons?
ETA, his latest tweet leaves me puzzled though. What does he mean? and I had no idea one can use tabun at the end of a sentence... I see my textbooks are woefully inadequate...

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
He says 「もう少し高いレベルの構成でやりたかった」と振り返った日野だが、「6分間練習で、ちょっと無理そうでレベルを落とした。ジャンプで大きなミスなく終われた」Wildly guessing with google translate's help, he says he wanted a higher level for his program, but in the warmup he couldn't perform it, so he decided to lower the level, and finished without a major mistake in the jump passes?
Very good. your translation is spot on.
SP Protocols Ryuju's score: TES 38.25 PCS 33.50
3Fe3T 3A 3Lz

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of the article surimi referred to:
Summary of the article on Ryuju after FS:

He said he paid attention to details and did not attempt a quad aiming for clean skate.
His overall skate was solid except for the 3A fall and he got level 4 on all his spins. Weighing the positive outcomes and issues to resolve, he said “I feel that my moves should have been a little faster, so I want to prepare for the Nationals aiming for well-balanced skate.”

His goal at the Western sectionals was to be on the podium. “Of course, I wanted to take at least 3rd place. When I learned other skaters’ scores I felt that I had a shot at the podium finish, but I guess today was not my day. It happened.” He commented calmly.

He will enter the Japanese Nationals in December for 12 years in a row. He said, “I’m simply glad I can compete there again. My 10th time (14th place) and 11th time (13th place) didn’t produce desired results so I want to redeem myself this year,” he said and announced that his goal is to be in the top 10.

Recently he has changed his practices schedule from 4-5 days to 6 days a week. He noted, “I get tired if I keep this schedule and it may be better to take a little rest in between. It is hard to find the balance, but this competition made me realize that too much practice is not good.”

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
FS protocols Ryuju's scores: TES 63.00 PCS 65.70 Ded. 1.00 Total:127.70
3T 3A2T 3F! 3Lo /3Aqfall 3Lz 3Lz2Tot

About his latest twee, he said
何か今日妙に難しかった笑
良かったところも多分。。ある。笑
I feel like things were strangely hard today (LOL)
There are something good (in my skate) ... perhaps. (LOL)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing Ryuju (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju's updated profile on Fuji TV figure skating info:
Coaches: Naruse, Kawaume, Suga & Tatematsu
Pre-competition ritual: To make a sign of the cross
Most favorite photo in the photo folder: A photo of Christmas illuminations captioned "Merry Christmas!"

Japanese Nationals has started. Ryuju's skating order of SP is No. 1. https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2020-2021/fs_j//nationalsenior/data0103.htm
On Dec. 25 he will start at 12:37:30.

On this video about men's competition at JNats, in alphabetical order each skater speaks of his enthusiasm for the event. Ryuju's clip starts at 7:32. https://youtu.be/69LjYkuf01s?t=452
"I will work hard so that I can show the better performance at this Nationals than last year and the year before last."

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju is going into FS taking 11th after the SP with 69.79.
Planned layout: 3F3T 3A /3Lz
Executed:3Feso 3A /3Lz3T

No video of his SP at JNats has been uploaded, but I came across this video of his CaoI SP on Oct. 3.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju finished 11th with overall 202.13 (SP 69.79 & FS 132.34).
Planned:4T 3A3T 3F 3Lo /3A2T 3Lz1Eu3S 3Lz
Executed:4T<fall 3A2T美 3Fe 3Lo /3Afall 3Lz2T 3Lz2T

After the FS he announced his retirement at the end of this season. His last competition will be in March, 2021.

Ryuju Hino (25=Chukyo University) has announced his retirement this season. He finished his free skate with a fist pump. “I skated very well. I thought it would be worse. I’m pleased. When I went out there, I had decided it would be my last (at Nationals), and I had mixed feelings; part of me felt it wouldn’t matter how I well I would skate, but I also felt I should not put out bad performance in the presence of amazing skaters of my age (Hanyu and Tanaka). They gave me power,” he reflected.

Earlier, he was thinking of retirement either this season or next season. He added, “(After SP) from last night till this morning, I made up my mind.” It was a sudden announcement, but he said, “No, it’s how it is, when a person retires. In SP I was the first to skate and did okay (11th), and went into FS in the 3rd group. I don’t have any more physical strength to continue one more season, so I decided that it was definitely time for me to quit. My last competition will be in March (2021).”

It was the stage he went on after going through conflicting thoughts and emotions. “About two weeks ago, a thought crossed my mind that I would feel at ease thinking about retiring this year, but it had the opposite effect. About a week ago I started feeling nauseous and I have lost weight. If I feel this way next year again, I’d rather quit this year. I feel honored to be able to compete at this competition (Japanese Nationals) for as many as 12 times,” he said in a soft manner.

surimi

Record Breaker
I think I've seen one of Ryuju's programs on YT today, just briefly. I still haven't seen any videos due to lack of time, sigh... Footages of the entire men's and ladies' SPs could be a life saver for me! (also caught a glimpse of them on YT when looking for Ryuju's name in kanji). The post-skate interviews though, they aren't around :( Come on, Fuji TV, this year of all years, you just don't publish this stuff and make it hard for us gaikokujin to hear our favorite skaters speak? :devilish:

Anyhow, I am having such mixed feelings about Ryuju's bow! Of course, there's :cry: No more cheering for him in competitions, no more new programs, and he was such a nice skater, always kind and polite... But OTOH, I wouldn't have it any other way: He's quitting with a fist pump and a smile, with his head held high after two well-skated programs - just what I hoped for him! :clap: Good job, and 12 consecutive Nats is an impressive feat!!
Also, I wouldn't feel right for selfishly wishing him to stay for one more season, knowing what he has to battle with before competing. It's much better for his health if he just lets his body breathe, and as a real fan, I will be happy for him. He deserves a break from the excruciating routines, and to eat proper meals again...
Do we know what his last competition will be, the one in March?

surimi

Record Breaker
Oh, and there's an answer to my question - I saw on Ryuju's twitter today that he plans to compete at a competition in Aichi and at Kokutai (at least I think that's what 国体 means?
He also uploaded some photos, but I don't recognize any of the skaters except for Sena and Taichi Honda. Weeell, I might recognize them if Fuji weren't like mean kids with their content! *scowls at Fuji TV all the way to Japan*
It still feels sad to read the words 'last Nats', but I suspect that for Ryuju it spells relief - after all, he does say he enjoyed this Nats the most, and that makes me happy ^ ^ There were some mistakes in the FS, two falls I think, but they just whizzed past me and I enjoyed the program a lot. (Also, he has the best costume I recall him wear, yay! Shades of fire suit Ryuju!) It's such a pity the blurry Youtube video was cut before his bows, I'd have loved to see that, it must have been so bittersweet ;_;

-----
ETA, Rainbow, I just re-noticed your post on the top of this page- do you think that the 'TP' in the tweet you mention might refer to tech panel? Would that make sense in the Japanese text?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Oh, and there's an answer to my question - I saw on Ryuju's twitter today that he plans to compete at a competition in Aichi and at Kokutai (at least I think that's what 国体 means?
Ryuju tweeted:
"My last Nationals was over.
I was very nervous in SP, but I stayed calm throughout the FS (LOL).
It was the most enjoyable and fulfilling Nationals.
Early in the new year, I will compete at Kokutai (National Sports Festival) and Aichi Prefecture Competition and retire.

Thank you very much, all of you, as always. (^^)
Happy New Year!"

Note: 国体 (Kokutai) is short for 国民体育大会 (National Sports Festival) and will be in January 2021 in Nagoya.
I'm a little confused about Aichi Competition he just tweeted because the 30th Aichi Figure Skating competition was held from Dec. 3 to 6, in which Ryuju placed 2nd, but it serves as a preliminary round for Kokutai, so there must be an Aichi Prefecture Figure Skating Championships in March apart from the one in December. So far I cannot find any info on this March competition yet.

ETA, Rainbow, I just re-noticed your post on the top of this page- do you think that the 'TP' in the tweet you mention might refer to tech panel? Would that make sense in the Japanese text?
TP as technical panel does not make sense to me, although "technical panel" was the first thing that came to my mind. Ryuju was talking about performing without audience, so TP might refer to "tryout performance" ?

surimi

Record Breaker
Ryuju wishing everyone a Happy New Year: https://twitter.com/Vnagar_juna/status/1344899799917547521
I don't think the person in the photo is him though? Looks to me a bit like the guy he'd taken photos with earlier - Kohei Yoshino? (didn't he do choreo for Ryuju's last year's programs?) I guess I'd know for sure if I'd bothered to run the comment section through google translate, but alas, I am not this patient :p

I wonder if they do a big interview with hm in one of the magazines this spring? They should, they usually do it for retiring skaters, don't they?

BTW ugh, even the blurry video of his last Nats has been taken down from Youtube so I can't rewatch, or heaven forbid ever see Ryuju take his bows before the Nats audience... we hatesss Fuji TV, yes precious. :tantrum: