Ryuju Hino | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ryuju Hino

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last part:

--While you sometimes felt that your efforts wouldn't be rewarded, what do you think was the driving force behind your progress?
R: Figure skating has been my dream since I was a kid. When I was around 5 years old, I watched (Alexei) Yagudin dancing to "Gladiator" at the Grand Prix series of France competitions, I thought "I want to do this," and that’s my first exposure to figure skating. When I remembered how much it gave me goosebumps with admiration, I never had the option of quitting. I couldn't get to my goal, but at least I knew I would regret it if I couldn't make a satisfying ending, so throughout this season I've been thinking about the best way to finish my career.
--Do you think you've gone the full distance?
R: I cannot say I have no regrets, but I'm going to turn my regret into my motivation in my new life.
--May I ask you about the next chapter in your life?
R It was at the Nationals when I decided to retire, and I will plan for the future from now on. I would like to work as a company employee and live as a productive member of society.
--Have you considered the options, such as a skating coach or a figure skating related interpreter that makes the most of your language skills?
R: I haven’t considered jobs related to figure skating so far. Rather, I want to know what it's like to be when I am no longer a skater. After facing myself, I will think it over again in a few years. Anyways, what I want to do now is to see figure skating completely from the outside.
--Have you gained anything from your skating experience that you can make use of in your future life?
R: I don't think I’ve gained anything useful [laughter]. But no matter what happens, I don't think my new life will be an emotional roller coaster ride. In this sport, you have to be able to take a hit in order to survive, so that kind of resilience may help me in my future life.
--We are truly grateful to you for your hard work for such a long time. Finally, I would like you to give a few words to your fans.
R (Thinking for a while) Thank you very much for your warm support in good times, bad times, and when I was suffering from injury. I'm really happy and grateful for your support. I will always remember to be grateful to you and move on to the new chapter in my life. I cannot thank you enough.

- The end

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
It's already the 23rd in Japan and the Aichi competitions start. Good luck to Ryuju in his last ever comp! I hope he wins it 🍀🥇
I think his fellow competitors are Kimichika Wada, Haruya Sasaki and Kousuke Nakano? I literally have no idea, I just do kanji guesswork and try to dig up names from my memory :p

ETA, silly me, it looks like the comp starts tomorrow, not today...

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju won his last competition, Aichi Governor's Award Competition. The event was SP only and he won with 69.33 (TES 34.95+PCS 34.38). Ryuju skated to "Addicted to Love"
Other skaters' results are: Shunsuke Nakamura (64.26), Haruya Sasaki (63.03) & Kimichika Wada (48.74)

At the retirement ceremony on March 28 for the skaters retiring at the end of this season, fans spotted at the rinkside Sota, Tatsuya, Kento Kobayashi and retired skaters Kotaro Takeuchi & Takaya Hashizume who tweeted with photos,
"Fey, thanks for your hard work for such a long time. You've worked too hard, haven't you? (LOL) Stay in touch. Look at the photo album from time to time. Good Luck. "

After delivering a speech at the retirement ceremony, encouraged by Naruse sensei, Ryuju tried 3A once more time and succeeded.

Congratulations on your winning the last competition and Best Wishes for your new career path, Ryuju. The future is bright.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
And here I was waiting for the FS results to show up, lol! I had no idea (or forgot) it was a SP-only event. :palmf:
69 is a nice score. Man, Judge 2 really didn't like Ryuju... Their marks were ridiculous in comparison to those of the other judges. Good for Ryuju not to have to put up with this anymore.
Anyhow, how sad to see him retired, after all these years. Are there any interviews or images in the press?
So nice that Sota and Tatsuya came to cheer for him. Maybe the boys watched WC together, too? ^ ^
I agree with what the retired skaters wrote: I hope Ryuju stays in touch with his friends and fans through posting on social media.
Good luck to Ryuju in his post-skating life! His skating will be missed though. 💐

surimi

Record Breaker
He looks very happy, doesn't he?
He also got a photobook of his career with his skating friends, it looks like, and the usual board full of messages: https://twitter.com/tatatanta1019/status/1376180380051501060 I recognize one of the photos in the book, it seems quite recent from when he was practicing in Chukyo with Sota and Tatsuya ^ ^
Here's his reflections on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Vnagar_juna/status/1376837377629417472
In this video by Nagoya TV (from 2:20), he is the only one who doesn't seem moved much by his career end - he actually seems relieved, or is it just me? ^ ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORXBYahFwk&t=259s Is he saying something interesting? I can only catch individual words...

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
In this video by Nagoya TV (from 2:20), he is the only one who doesn't seem moved much by his career end - he actually seems relieved, or is it just me? ^ ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORXBYahFwk&t=259s Is he saying something interesting? I can only catch individual words...
From 02:20, video clip entitled “Ryuju Hino: 20-year skating career from 2001”

--Your thoughts about retirements.
02:20
Umm, I don’t regret retiring, but there were times I wondered what kind of sport it was. I think it is a weird sport. I mean, the music starts and you start dancing to it and all of a sudden you start to show your techniques. I sometimes wondered what it was. Well, I guess that’s what makes it appealing.
--Looking back at your final Japanese Nationals.
02:46
After all, compared to other competitions, (the Nationals) arena is always decorated with fancy designs. In my first few years competing at the Nationals, I was getting used to the atmosphere and I started to feel more at ease. But as I’ve participated in the event as many times as 12 times, I have come full circle and I got so tensed up. I had a feeling I was skating on the tremendously big stage.
--What is the appeal of figure skating?
03:11
I can directly feel the power of cheers sent by skating fans and in fact it gave me power and after the performance it helps me build my confidence. It makes me want to work harder.
--About the life ahead of you.
03:29
When I decided not to retire after I finished college, it may look like I was determined to continue skating, but umm, as my senpai said before, if I had to say one way or the other, I escaped from reality. I feel scared of stepping into the new life. As I have spent so many years doing figure skating, I know my next life is certainly more difficult, and to be honest I am afraid of tomorrow or rather from now on.
--Give a few words to all the people who have rooted for you.
04:06
Even if you don’t like me, please do not hate figure skating [smile]. (t/n: Playfully quoted from Atsuko Maeda, a former member of the idol girl group AKB48, who said, “Even if you don’t like me, please do not hate AKB”)

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you! 💐
The video is a modified SP just for the ceremony, isn't it? Because the protocols don't match this layout 🤔 Also, he sort of stopped there, grinning and nodding at his friends, so it may have been some sort of post-comp challenge? I mean, as much as I like Ryuju, I wouldn't give him 68 points for no combo and a 3A splat? ;) The boy looked short of breath too, so perhaps he'd already skated his programs and this was not planned... Just thinking aloud. This event is a mystery to me, so many question marks :biggrin:
Lovely support from the ladies with the banners (I wish I could have cheered from the stands too! :cry:). Sota looked super enthusiastic by the boards. I wonder what sort of coach he'll turn into. I thought he'd be a Nagakubo v.2, but this reaction looked more like Stephane or Brian? :laugh:

Ryuju deserves thumbs up for going for the 4T twice in the FS. What a fighter. 💪 Oh, and kudos to Haruya for attempting a quad, too!

ETA: here are the scores: https://www.jsfresults.com/non_responsive_toppage.htm?figure_top.htm,local/2020-2021/fs/22/255/index.htm

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Ryuju's comment on the FS video:
At the beginning:
--Your enthusiasm for your last performance as a competitive skater.
This is my last time, so I would like to place emphasis on the time other than (technical) elements. I believe such (nontechnical) parts are what you will remember most at heart. I wish to deliver a performance which does not focus too much on jumps. That said, I have a gut feeling that I will be overly conscious of jumps.

After the FS:
--Looking back on your performance
Although some of my jumps were clean, umm, I wish I could have done better. That said, I might say it worked out okay as I took 1st place. I wanted to be a bit more attentive to every move, and I might have been overly careful. Well, I have no regrets.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot! I actually went ahead and did the kanji version + your translation in my class. :biggrin: I'm crazy :laugh: But at least now I know the words 'competitive/active' and 'retire'. lol. Skating expands my vocabulary ^ ^ I should learn the 'no regrets' part.. I might need it when I attempt N3 :biggrin:

Look what a gem I found linked on a blog! It appears to be a story of Ryuju's career :giggle:
First part, aww - https://twitter.com/yuzu_sasshi/status/1380069633969979398 I've never seen this photo of baby Ryuju with his parents and brother. I suppose the part with him handling the skating boots is the part-time job in Howa?
-> Part 2, from Ryuju's bronze at JGPF through his friendship with Yuzuru to his last Aichi Cup. https://twitter.com/yuzu_sasshi/status/1380070607824449537 Features remarks by Tatsuya and Sota (uahh, the perm! 🙈 )
-> Part 3 (about the Aichi Cup?) https://twitter.com/yuzu_sasshi/status/1380071427710152704 So sad to see just 4 remaining posters in Howa...
-> Part 4 - https://twitter.com/yuzu_sasshi/status/1380072850741100556 - the Aichi Cup encore and Ryuju getting presents and a farewell from his skating friends.

Guys, it's so sad to suddenly see the words 'former skater' when I google Ryuju's name for news. 😥

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I combined 4 twitter video clips into one video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SaOeTOqiVrHnOd_aFG8ilGvYCMmMASXp/view?usp=sharing

Translation: N = Narrator; R = Ryuju

[Caption: Tenaciousness: The skater who defeated Hanyu retired.]
N: This year again, many skaters decided to retire. Among them, he put an end to his skating career which lasted 19 years.
0:15
R: It’s finally over.
[caption: Ryuju Hino, 26 - He held his head high in his life as an athlete.]
N: He was missed by many when he left the rink for good. We’ve covered his turbulent life closely.
0:28 [at Howa Sportsland]
R: Do you have a skating ticket?
N: A 26-year old worker at a skating rink in Nagoya city. He is Ryuju Hino.
R: Thank you for waiting.
N: After finishing college, he continued competitive skating while working part time.
0:53 [photo of Ryuju’s family when Ryuju was 1-year old]
N: Born to Russian father and Japanese mother, he is an ikemen (attractive male) skater.
0:59 [Ryuju at age 7]
N: He started skating at 6 and his long standing athletic career span is 19 years. He spent most of his life on ice at the rink, and a great rival his age kept him motivated.
1:19
R: In fact, Yuzu has always been the top, and thanks to him I’ve been working hard. I have nothing but gratitude for him.
N: [photo with Yuzuru] Actually, Hino senshu is the same age as Yuzuru Hanyu senshu. [photo of podium] When in elementary school, he defeated his rival and won the Japanese championships. [2012 JGPF, age 17] Also, at the world junior grand finals, he not only hit the triple axel, but also carefully executed even small details, which was his forte, and took home a (bronze) medal. While being inspired by his skater his age, he was steadily stepping up.
2:13
R: When I thought about him getting better for sure in the meantime, I was driven to practice. He was the one I feared most.
2:13
N: However, afterwards, men’s figure skating techniques evolved remarkably led by Hanyu senshu. He (Ryuju) could not keep pace with the multiple quads era, and became unable to produce satisfactory results. Hino senshu kept at it and his college graduation day came. His Chukyo University classmate Kanako Murakami was retiring and many around him became working adults, but he was still unwilling to call it quits.
3:14
R: I felt like giving up part ways was like denying my life until that time. So I had been trying to figure out the best way to end it.
3:28
N: Even when you get older you can still get better and better. The skaters his age [photo of Ryuju, Yuzuru & Keiji] who have been very active at forefront are a case in point.
R: I didn’t want to retire until after I became, at the least, eligible for the federation’s support. I wanted to keep the pride of the skaters my age intact. Because of that strong desire, I was able to keep skating.
3:28
4:02
Before he knew it, he became the oldest skater in Aichi. [photo of Ryuju & 3 younger skaters] He was like a nice big brother who everybody loved.
4:14
Sota: Usually, we go to see a movie together, or he takes me out to eat lunch or dinner. When I was troubled or worried, he was really considerate of my feelings and stood behind me. He is a kind hearted and dependable senpai.
4:26
Tatsuya: He treats me to Yakiniku, Karaoke and such after competition. He is really a nice senpai.

- to be cont'd

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation! :giggle: Ryuju is so well liked by his skating friends, I wonder if he'll feel tempted to return to skating in some capacity, even if only as a spectator at events, or a recreational skater.
Do we know if he's been picked for any shows?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last part of the translation:

4:46
N: What was he supposed to do to maintain his self-respect as senpai?
R: At my age I’m supposed to be employed already. Skaters (my age) who are still competing need to keep improving to make all that practice pay off. Otherwise, it’s not worth it.
5:09
N: He focused on improving elements other than jumps, holding firm to his strong points. As a result of his efforts, this season [his results at the Nationals met the qualification] he regained federation supported skater status. He finally made up his mind to retire.
5:37
R: I felt like, “This year or never. This is it!” I can still skate but I wanted to make a clean break.
N: At the end of last month the time to end his athletic life came. It was his last day as an active skater. As a distinguished leader of Aichi figure skaters, a special last stage was prepared for Hino senshu.
R: It is best to finish my career when I am still capable of continuing.
N: [applause] while being watched by his kohai (younger skaters) and others, he skated sticking to his focus on carefully crafted details. Then, hitting the triple axel which was his forte, he finished his 19-year long competitive skating career.
R: It’s finally over. Rather than feeling sad I feel relieved. I have no regrets.

- End of translation -

As surimi pointed out before, it looks like Ryuju gave encore performance of SP on the day of retirement ceremony which was the last day (Mar. 28).
Do we know if he's been picked for any shows?
My gut says no. Ryuju seems to be determined to take his next step in life and ready to devote himself to his new job. Let's see.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Yeah, that one is so cute, isn't it? ^ ^ I have it in Ryuju's media collection on GS.
Ryuju seems to be quite popular in skating magazines of late - this new one ( https://twitter.com/kumazawa_kamata/status/1390824773714735104/photo/1 ) also has an interview with him, and since it's on the front page it means it's a long one! It makes me glad to see Ryuju recognized for his accomplishments :)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I stumbled upon this recent Youtube interview yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXUvVgBF_Q
No idea what it's about, but I presume two retired skaters ask Ryuju about his post-skating life? Translation would be very welcome.
Rough translation:
Hosts: K=Kento Kajita (right) M=Kanata Mori (left)

R: In my case I had already decided on my final competition. I was moving forward towards the last day of my skating career with mixed feelings. I was happy and at the same time had indescribable emotions knowing that my career would end.
K: In an interview when asked why he wanted to retire, Fey-kun said “Exhaustion.” I thought it was so Fey-kun and funny (LOL).
R: Let me explain. It was in the article about Japan Open, and a week ago I competed at Chubu regionals so I was not sure what to say about the competition I was about to enter when I was still tired (LOL). It was sort of chaotic. (LOL)I was asked the reason why I was considering retirement this season?” and I said “Exhaustion, perhaps.” (LOL) When I said that I had no idea that my comment would be headlined on the net the next day as, “Exhaustion may lead to Hino senshu’s Retirement.” (LOL)
M: Personally I had the feeling during the Nationals that Fey-kun was retiring.
R: You kind of knew that.
M: Like some retiring senpai before you, you also hit the fence (LOL).
R: I didn’t collide with the fence. I just glided over and touched the fence. Can I explain? I was about to do the choreo move of caressing a lady’s hair facing the judges, but when I turned around and did the motion, I found myself facing a male judge looking at him (LOL). It shouldn’t have been a problem and I was okay with it (embarrassed grin), but I kept thinking that it didn’t go as planned, and turned around to find the fence right in front of me (LOL).
K: I remember the time when Fey-kun came to Citizen Rink (in Tokyo) to practice. At that time I could barely jump 2A, and Fey-kun was setting up the 3A. Back then Hanyu-kun, Keiji-kun, and Fey-kun were like gods to us. I yielded to him and after landing the 3A jump, Fey-kun made a gesture (of apology) to me [gesture of one hand prayer with fingers pressed together and a slight quick bow]. No one had ever done that to me. So I thought “Wow, he is not only good at skating but also humble. What a cool guy Ryuji Hino is!” At that moment I became your fan. But I don’t think you remember that.
R: In that situation it’s natural for me to do that.
M: I enjoyed open practice with Fey-kun. He made me feel at home. When I landed a jump he clapped his hands.
R: I was like, “Huh, wasn’ it beautiful?” [hand clapping]
M: You clapped your hands a lot, didn’t you?
R: Yeah, I did.
M: When I was in the official practice with Fey-kun I felt at ease. He was like a god to us and to get recognition from him made us feel good.
R: If you don’t pay attention to the skaters around you, you will inconvenience someone. When I was watching others jump, I kind of knew how they were doing, so I talked to some of them like, “You’re doing great,” or “Are you okay?” (LOL) Or “It’s still early in the morning” (LOL) and “You’ll get better later.” (LOL)
M: But the performance was also a mess.” (LOL)
R: It happens in competition sometimes. (LOL) I wanted everybody to go home after gaining something.
K: You were concerned about other skaters. You saw us not only as rivals but also as kohai to take care of. It’s not something everybody could do.
R: Of course I had a lot on my plate, but I wanted to say, “I know you can get a little better,” or something like that. I wanted to learn from others as everybody has his strengths. Rather than giving advice from a higher position I wanted to share what I thought after getting familiar with everybody else’s skating.
M: When we got to the Inkare (Inter-college) competition, only a select few from each college were there. We were skating buddies since childhood and we all matured. I liked the Inkare atmosphere.
R: We respected each other. At Inter-high and Inter-middle school competitions, we felt strong competitive rivalry among us.
M: It was like, “I’m gonna beat them.”
R: Rivalry was still there at Inkare, but it's a different type of rivalry. We came to respect others as human beings.
M: Inkare was tough, wasn't it?
R: Yes, we all were still in New Year holiday mode and struggled to jump with a quick fix. (LOL)
K: About Inkare, until the year-end we all practiced hard, but once the new year came we sort of took it easy.
R: It was like an adjustment period. We only had about 4 days.
K: On New Year's day we rested. On January 2nd we exchanged New Year greetings and had fun on the ice. (LOL) On day 3 we did run-thrus and felt like we would somehow make it, and on day 4 after morning practice off we went.
R: After arriving at the venue we said “Happy New Year” to everyone around with excitement in the changing room, and suddenly we were made to skate on the ice with a different feel for about 20 minutes, while being yelled at “What are you doing?” Then after 6-minutes warm up we performed. It was really tough.
M: Yeah, it sure was.
R: After Inkare we all rested, even though Kokutai was coming up. Very few guys did well at both competitions.
M&K: Yeah. Either one but not both. (LOL)
R: Same with Inhai (Inter-high). You couldn’t do well at both Inhai and Kokutai.
K: If you suked at Inhai, you did well at Kokutai.
R: I wonder why.
K: After skating well at Inhai, people still ended up so-so at Kokutai.(LOL)
R: Even with the momentum carried forward from Inhai?
K: Whether or not you had the momentum, your skate was likely to be mediocre. (LOL)
R: We all competed together and regardless of the results we had fun. After the event we used to hang out together. (LOL)
M&K: We had a good time.

- To be cont'd to the second half which starts at 12:47