Shoma Uno | Page 400 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Before I really got into figure skating (I'm still not really into figure skating), I read a bunch of stuff online about stanning Shoma being really emotionally demanding, and when I read it I thought, 'that's crazy, i'd never be personally affected by an ice skater's performances.'

I was wrong, being a Shoma fan is a rollercoaster, and I'm not even that obsessed.

It's making me pretty anxious, which is something I never imagined I'd feel. In the end, no matter what he does I'll be proud of him (although, like any sane person, I'd hate to see him injured even if that means a high score, and even a medal), so I guess now it's just a waiting game. I'm so bad at waiting.

Four years ago I would never have imagined I'd be freaking out at skating, NEVER. All the eeks and "OH!!s" and "YES!" and "NOOOOO!" made me like a crazy person. I watched Shoma's SP at 4CC (Four Continents Championship) while I was having dessert with my friend and they saw my reaction and they looked at me as if I were a madman. When I watched Yuzu at Rostelecom Cup last year, I had a cramp because I kicked my leg so hard when he fell. After all, ice is slippery. That is what makes figure skating so unpredictable, and every fan has to go through this rollercoaster ride. (My mom has to squeeze my arm when she watches skating :laugh: she squeezes, she screams, she shouts etc) After each event its like I have gone for a 1-hour run! That was intense!

gacchan

On the Ice
Despite of being "my pace" or looks like airhead (***: tennen) in most of interviews, Shoma has a very clear mind and looks super cool (kakkoi) when he has to answer something really critical.

He knows he is the ace and hope of Team Japan to get 3 spots, he understands the expectations from others, and he even talked about "some people may think it's not good for him to attack" (he knows others are worrying about him and mentioned in interview, personally I think that is rare). Also he is willing to take the responsibility to fight for Japan (as a senpai of Tomono).

That's why I really like Shoma...and we know his mind (of trying to jump the original layout) can't be changed by others.
Respect to his determination and what we can do is...wish him in good health!

Danibellerika

Medalist
Before I really got into figure skating (I'm still not really into figure skating), I read a bunch of stuff online about stanning Shoma being really emotionally demanding, and when I read it I thought, 'that's crazy, i'd never be personally affected by an ice skater's performances.' I was wrong, being a Shoma fan is a rollercoaster, and I'm not even that obsessed. I'm really looking forward to his free skate tomorrow, and if I'm honest I'm a little excited to see what he's going to do-- if he's going to stick to his planned layout and risk injury, or if he's going to water the program down a little to stay on the safe side. It's making me pretty anxious, which is something I never imagined I'd feel. In the end, no matter what he does I'll be proud of him (although, like any sane person, I'd hate to see him injured even if that means a high score, and even a medal), so I guess now it's just a waiting game. I'm so bad at waiting.

It can be a roller coaster for these guys for sure. But generally Shoma is fairly consistent so he is not the worst roller coaster to be on. For the most part he keeps it together and is reliable. Having seen him live a number of times now I find that I can relax when I watch him and just take it all in (kind of like I could with Plushenko). I can't say this is the case with my other faves that have given me near heart attacks (side eyeing Sasha Cohen and Yuzu).

skatefan22

Medalist
First of all, I am so proud of Shoma!!

I watched eurosport and apparently they didn't know that Shoma was injured... Anyone has NBC or CBC commentaries? I am just curious of what they would say about Shoma.

saphire

On the Ice
I don't think the Olympic channel commentators mentioned his injury either, or the layout changes, which I did find kind of weird :scratch2:

hopefully Shoma can rest up tomorrow and ice his foot. His health is the most important thing for sure.

Also, why did Olympic Channel report about Dabin Choi's injury (she withdrew today) but not Shoma's? They mentioned that she was having pain in foot during Ladies SP https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/977137409258344453

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
i'm sorry when people say "airhead" what does it mean?? that he is forgetful/distracted?
Because his answers in interviews are very well spoken and interesting imo

gftn

On the Ice
Also, why did Olympic Channel report about Dabin Choi's injury (she withdrew today) but not Shoma's? They mentioned that she was having pain in foot during Ladies SP https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/977137409258344453

Maybe because she officially withdrew and ISU have to announce it? Shoma and JSF only made statement to Japanese media so that’s probably why most of european/American commentators didn’t find out about the injury? I’m sure they’ll hear about it eventually

gacchan

On the Ice
Actually I have no idea how should tennen should be translated to English, but definitely not forgetful/ distracted.
I found the word "airhead" in other fans' English translation so I just copied xD

first of all, the kanji character of tennen means "natural".
when this vocab is used to describe the personality of someone, a person with tennen (or more precisely, tennenboke) character, means s/he will unintentionally say or act sth that looks silly and makes others laugh.
usally s/he tends to be a bit off

one example of "tennen" moments of Shoma:
(interview after Shoma got silver medal in Winter Olympic)
The interviewer asked "Medal ceremony will be held afterwards, how do you feel?"
Shoma: (????) Medal ceremony..later??
-> As a silver medalist Shoma was supposed to know the arrangement, but he seemed surprised and knew nothing

i'm sorry when people say "airhead" what does it mean?? that he is forgetful/distracted?

saphire

On the Ice
Maybe because she officially withdrew and ISU have to announce it? Shoma and JSF only made statement to Japanese media so that’s probably why most of european/American commentators didn’t find out about the injury? I’m sure they’ll hear about it eventually

But they mentioned it during broadcast of Ladies short program on Wednesday that she was having pain. But the US broadcasters were clueless about what was going on with Shoma during his SP. I don't know, I just get so frustrated with US media-NBC. They usually don't do research on other top skaters unless they are American, just trying to cater to the casual viewer.

saphire

On the Ice
I guess they mean that, "scatter-brained" etc. I have been called a deep thinker by many people but I still frequently misplace and forget things, like keys, my phone, and the like.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Spacey. Kind of day dreamy. We used to also use the word space cadet. He is not an air head. He's just in his Shoma world.

saphire

On the Ice
Shoma was injured? ISU downplaying Shoma? :palmf:

Anyway, Shoma did good!

Yes, Shoma left practice early on Wed due to pain in right dorsum of foot. He had it x-ray and evaluated at local hospital. X-rays were negative for fracture. It probably was caused by adjusting to new skating boots that he switched to just after Olympics since his others were breaking down. They are treating pain with elevation, ice, and painkillers. He talked to Japanese media about possible WD and said that he wanted to compete, not let down his team...

Danny T

Medalist
Really worried about Shoma :< I know why he does but I hope he wouldn't feel too pressured to keep spots for Japan. Yes, next Worlds is in Japan but it's not worth it to destroy yourself over it. I would be happy if he just skates within his limits tomorrow.

Gambatte Shoma!! :yahoo::yahoo:

gftn

On the Ice
But they mentioned it during broadcast of Ladies short program on Wednesday that she was having pain. But the US broadcasters were clueless about what was going on with Shoma during his SP. I don't know, I just get so frustrated with US media-NBC. They usually don't do research on other top skaters unless they are American, just trying to cater to the casual viewer.

Ah okay, I didn’t watch the ladies SP and I watched men SP on russian channel so have no clue what the commentators said :D

saphire

On the Ice
Ah okay, I didn’t watch the ladies SP and I watched men SP on russian channel so have no clue what the commentators said :D

I actually sometimes prefer watching it on the Russian stream when I don't know what they are saying.

gftn

On the Ice
Yeah I understand. I saw just Shoma’s sp with B.ESP commentators and the lady was complaining about his...hair in a humorous way tho so it was quite funny.

skatefan22

Medalist
one example of "tennen" moments of Shoma:
(interview after Shoma got silver medal in Winter Olympic)
The interviewer asked "Medal ceremony will be held afterwards, how do you feel?"
Shoma: (????) Medal ceremony..later??
-> As a silver medalist Shoma was supposed to know the arrangement, but he seemed surprised and knew nothing

That moment is hilarious. :laugh: I just love this kid.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Paul Fentz was on german TV commentating on the last group of men. He was very complimentary to all of them, but even he had no idea of Shoma's injury. The german commentator clearly wanted Paul to call Shoma overscored, but Paul was having none of that. Here is my translation of what was said. Please be aware I'm no professional translator and I don't want to offend anyone with posting this. :agree2:

German channel ONE, Shoma Uno Men's SP, Commentators: Daniel Weiss/Paul Fentz

(D)aniel Weiss: Now Shoma Uno from Japan. Second at the Olympic Games on the Ice. Antonio Vivaldi is the music. Winter from Four Seasons.

4 Toeloop. His jumps are often a bit tight. Not today. 2 points more for good execution in addition.

Uhhh.

eyeyeyy. Concentration.

Pity, Shoma Uno. That was a costly mistake, unfortunately.

Like always, many Japanese Fans coming from Japan, for their heroes, they are national heroes in Japan.

(P)aul Fentz: Superstars.

D: Absolute Superstars. An Ocean of Flowers on the Ice. And an Ocean of Flags in the arena, many Japanese flags this afternoon. There are certainly about 2000 Japanese Fans to see their heroes. And Yuzuru Hanyu isn't even here.

P: No. There would be 10000 then.

D: What do you think, here, about his program?

P: Ehh...if I can be completely honest....

D: Absolutely.

P: I don't understand his layout, because he has changed it, that's clear. Because at the beginning, normally there is the 4 Flip. The 4T3T combination was always in the second half. I don't know if he's injured, or if he has a problem with his feet, perhaps that's why. No clue. I would've thought he would start with 4T-3T at the beginning and then, I don't know, maybe a triple Loop in the second half or something, this he can do very easily and secure. Together with the beautiful Axel he has....yes....

D: We got to inform us about that. He had planned 3S-3T and then that also went wrong, he wanted to skate safe.

P: Clearly, he wanted to play it safe. Safe, But a beautiful 3S-3T combination gives you more than 10 points. But it's a pity that it went so wrong now.

D: And if we look at the component scores now, it wasn't that shining program we wished for. But he still gets the highest component points. The Isolation is not there, even here.

P: Well, I'm talking about...eh, the components are more than deserved, in any case....

D: Eh, absolutely. In some cases, skating skills and so on. But.....

P: I'm a huge fan of his skating style. I...yes, it's...complete. His way is super, his programs.....

D: So you think it's okay that he gets these high components today?

P: Yes. He stumbled a bit in the middle. At the entry into the spin after the missed Combo. And, well, yes, that belongs to 'skating skills', at that point, it's not the usual, it's only about that program now, that's being judged, and he had a stumble here and there.....and then

D:Absolutely

P: And then, of course, they cannot give a 10 for skating skills, because in that moment it wasn't a 10.

D: Exactly.

P: The judges got it right, in my opinion. Yes.

D: Yes...

P: Pity for him. Anyway, it's a great program, his costume is awesome. Program, Music is a big hit and he is such a likeable guy.

D: 94, 26 points. 5th at the moment. 5 points to silver, 6 points to Gold, but to fight against Nathan Chen won't be easy, Paul.

P: Won't be easy, but it's still possible...well...