Should I get my new boot or even try a new brand? | Golden Skate

Should I get my new boot or even try a new brand?

AFan

Spectator
So I (18F) am now wearing Edea Concerto with a Phantom Revolution Blade (new and bought a year ago, size 255 C). I am now starting to do axel and back sit spins, I am not yet able to do them, but making progress. It also makes me realize that I might have bought the wrong size.

At the time I bought my current boot, I changed from the Overture 260 C. I have tried the 250 boot, but I thought 255 boot is good enough as my skating school suggested the size 3 years ago when I got the first skates, and I thought it wouldn't be possiblefor be to skate in boots with a whole size too big. The 250 boot was a bit tight but not other issue, so I bought 255 instead for more comfort.

At first I got my new skates, it was nice for me. I barely need anytime to get used to the skates, I can do my sit spins and back spins almost in the first lesson (I have worn the skates for a few times off ice before that, but not on ice as the rink did not allow any ice time other lesson). Problems doesn't start to appear when I wear my skates longer.

After a few months, the rink have more space for doing camel spins. I realized that I can't step on the bottom of the boot when I change from a camel position to a sit position. My heel is stepped on the back of the boot inside of the sole, and I can only fix that after coming out of the spin. I solve that issue by moving my foot all the way to the back of my boot, but I find it difficult to jump with that. I find myself often slipping off the edge or even the toe pick when I jump. Thus, I resharpen the blade despite everyone tells me that my blade is still very sharp and it does not improve much. When I practice my axel, I feel like I often slip off and making my lace loosened.

So I asked my friend to lend me her skates to try it out. It is the exact some boot and blade except it is 250 C. It was used for around two years. I find it fits quite well and the discomfort I experience is same as my current boot. I tried an 15 mins session on ice with that and I find my movements and strength is passed to the ice more directly. When I move my foot to the toe of the boot, I can insert a finger at the back of my bigger foot (not all the way to the bottom as the boot edge is obstructing it, but I feel that there should be enough space).

I had some issues with pain wearing that skates, thought these occurred with my last two skates. I experienced pain in the arch region that it always persisted throughout the life of my last skates. My physiotherapist suggested that my arch and calf are tight. At the end, my friend added a thin pad at the outside edge under the boot and it reduces the pain to less than 50% of original. Another issue is at the navicular region, the pain was gone within a month of the overture boot, but remains present in this year with the Concerto boot. It sometimes causes some peeling and redness of the skin. My navicular bone are a bit more prominent than average but I had an X-ray and there is not structural issue. The pain is maximum when I first got onto the ice, and become better after around one hour on ice. The pain doesn't improve much after breaking in the boot and I often need to apply tropical painkillers to get through it.

I am almost certain that my boot is too large but I am not sure if I need a 250 or 245 boot. And I am also considering if changing a brand can improve the pain issues. I feel that I can't really trust my feelings and fitter is not available in my region. Any advice for temporary fix is also appreciated.

Elija

On the Ice
Have you been professionally fitted? Yes the boots sound too big. You shouldn’t be going up a size just because they feel a bit more comfortable, that’s going to put your weight in the wrong place and make it harder to centre spins. As for arch support, you may need an orthotic in your skate, a lot of skaters do. However if the boot is too big, it’s not going to be in the right place. As for the navicular bone, you can get that spot punched out. I’ve had that with my last two pairs of edeas, solved the issue immediately. Anyway, sounds like you need to go and see a fitter, get your foot properly measured and get the right size boot, be it another concerto or something else if that’s what the fitter recommends.

AFan

Spectator
Have you been professionally fitted? Yes the boots sound too big. You shouldn’t be going up a size just because they feel a bit more comfortable, that’s going to put your weight in the wrong place and make it harder to centre spins. As for arch support, you may need an orthotic in your skate, a lot of skaters do. However if the boot is too big, it’s not going to be in the right place. As for the navicular bone, you can get that spot punched out. I’ve had that with my last two pairs of edeas, solved the issue immediately. Anyway, sounds like you need to go and see a fitter, get your foot properly measured and get the right size boot, be it another concerto or something else if that’s what the fitter recommends.
I am considering to see a virtual fitter as we don't have such practice in my region. When I bought my first skates, the skating school recommended 255, but I bought 260 for some growth space. So I thought a 255 boot would be small enough when I changed to the Concerto, but apparently I need an even smaller one.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I am considering to see a virtual fitter as we don't have such practice in my region. When I bought my first skates, the skating school recommended 255, but I bought 260 for some growth space. So I thought a 255 boot would be small enough when I changed to the Concerto, but apparently I need an even smaller one.
Your skates should never have "growth space"--they should fit your foot snugly with very little wiggle room. Also, make sure you are lacing your Edeas tightly around your instep--they lace differently than normal skates.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What area do you live in and possibly I can suggest a pro fitter. Also, if you are going to do a fitting, you may want to try other brands. What kind of arch do you have: Low, standard, high?

Jeanlee

Rinkside
So I (18F) am now wearing Edea Concerto with a Phantom Revolution Blade (new and bought a year ago, size 255 C). I am now starting to do axel and back sit spins, I am not yet able to do them, but making progress. It also makes me realize that I might have bought the wrong size.

At the time I bought my current boot, I changed from the Overture 260 C. I have tried the 250 boot, but I thought 255 boot is good enough as my skating school suggested the size 3 years ago when I got the first skates, and I thought it wouldn't be possiblefor be to skate in boots with a whole size too big. The 250 boot was a bit tight but not other issue, so I bought 255 instead for more comfort.

At first I got my new skates, it was nice for me. I barely need anytime to get used to the skates, I can do my sit spins and back spins almost in the first lesson (I have worn the skates for a few times off ice before that, but not on ice as the rink did not allow any ice time other lesson). Problems doesn't start to appear when I wear my skates longer.

After a few months, the rink have more space for doing camel spins. I realized that I can't step on the bottom of the boot when I change from a camel position to a sit position. My heel is stepped on the back of the boot inside of the sole, and I can only fix that after coming out of the spin. I solve that issue by moving my foot all the way to the back of my boot, but I find it difficult to jump with that. I find myself often slipping off the edge or even the toe pick when I jump. Thus, I resharpen the blade despite everyone tells me that my blade is still very sharp and it does not improve much. When I practice my axel, I feel like I often slip off and making my lace loosened.

So I asked my friend to lend me her skates to try it out. It is the exact some boot and blade except it is 250 C. It was used for around two years. I find it fits quite well and the discomfort I experience is same as my current boot. I tried an 15 mins session on ice with that and I find my movements and strength is passed to the ice more directly. When I move my foot to the toe of the boot, I can insert a finger at the back of my bigger foot (not all the way to the bottom as the boot edge is obstructing it, but I feel that there should be enough space).

I had some issues with pain wearing that skates, thought these occurred with my last two skates. I experienced pain in the arch region that it always persisted throughout the life of my last skates. My physiotherapist suggested that my arch and calf are tight. At the end, my friend added a thin pad at the outside edge under the boot and it reduces the pain to less than 50% of original. Another issue is at the navicular region, the pain was gone within a month of the overture boot, but remains present in this year with the Concerto boot. It sometimes causes some peeling and redness of the skin. My navicular bone are a bit more prominent than average but I had an X-ray and there is not structural issue. The pain is maximum when I first got onto the ice, and become better after around one hour on ice. The pain doesn't improve much after breaking in the boot and I often need to apply tropical painkillers to get through it.

I am almost certain that my boot is too large but I am not sure if I need a 250 or 245 boot. And I am also considering if changing a brand can improve the pain issues. I feel that I can't really trust my feelings and fitter is not available in my region. Any advice for temporary fix is also appreciated.
If your feet are done growing your toes should just feather the end There should be no movement in the boot Ex: heel lifting or foot sliding forward
Get a proper fit Have you tried the Aura brand of skate, lighter, made from carbon fibre and minimal break in period
They scan to fit your fit

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If your feet are done growing your toes should just feather the end There should be no movement in the boot Ex: heel lifting or foot sliding forward
Get a proper fit Have you tried the Aura brand of skate, lighter, made from carbon fibre and minimal break in period
They scan to fit your fit
Unless she has very weird feet she does not need Auras. Wayyyyy too expensive for her needs and a waste of money.

OP, you need a better sized boot and a different brand. Edea is clearly not fitting.

Jeanlee

Rinkside
You are tight skates are expensive Depends on the level of skater you are
Sounds like an improper fit to me
Lots of my friends kids are wearing Edward or Auras but they also can do 4 triple jumps
The Edea just look so bulky compared to other brands
There are lots of great boots out there but you need a proper fit and purchase according to your skill level 1000 pair of boots are too much to spend if you are at a lower level

Jeanlee

Rinkside
You are tight skates are expensive Depends on the level of skater you are
Sounds like an improper fit to me
Lots of my friends kids are wearing Edward or Auras but they also can do 4 triple jumps
The Edea just look so bulky compared to other brands
There are lots of great boots out there but you need a proper fit and purchase according to your skill level 1000 pair of boots are too much to spend if you are at a lower level

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Unless she has very weird feet she does not need Auras. Wayyyyy too expensive for her needs and a waste of money.

OP, you need a better sized boot and a different brand. Edea is clearly not fitting.
:clap:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The brand of boot has nothing to do with skill level. You choose a boot brand based on foot shape and a model within that brand based on level, weight, etc.

Jeanlee

Rinkside
You are correct It is based on skill level and weight etc I don’t think Auras have stock boots do they! just custom
If you do not pronate in your shoes why would you pronate in your boot Doesn’t make sense
Unlike some boots Aura soles are far better than others where the blade sinks into the sole of the boot
Most companies now are having their boots manufactured in other countries and the boot soles are sometimes not square and I see stores sanding the soles to align the blades just speaking from experience

Back in the day with leather soles they sometimes shimmed everything up to align the blade which is not a good thing It works until the moisture flattens the shim

But now there is new technology I like the true custom fit by scanning a persons foot
Lighter skates are the way to go and less break in period It’s new and some skate brands are not for everyone some of the top skaters get free boot and blades Good marketing tool Every kid will want to wear the brand that an Olympic champion wears Will it make them a Champion perhaps not

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You are correct It is based on skill level and weight etc I don’t think Auras have stock boots do they! just custom
If you do not pronate in your shoes why would you pronate in your boot Doesn’t make sense
Unlike some boots Aura soles are far better than others where the blade sinks into the sole of the boot
Most companies now are having their boots manufactured in other countries and the boot soles are sometimes not square and I see stores sanding the soles to align the blades just speaking from experience

Back in the day with leather soles they sometimes shimmed everything up to align the blade which is not a good thing It works until the moisture flattens the shim

But now there is new technology I like the true custom fit by scanning a persons foot
Lighter skates are the way to go and less break in period It’s new and some skate brands are not for everyone some of the top skaters get free boot and blades Good marketing tool Every kid will want to wear the brand that an Olympic champion wears Will it make them a Champion perhaps not
And this is why we have people coming on here that can't do a 3 turn and bought Piano or Ice Fly. Because promotion of this practice as above. And then they are injured (sometimes permanently) and why? Because the boot doesn't make you a better skater. If you aren't doing triples and quads, you don't need that level of boots. There are other brands that can do custom or semi custom to fit a foot that isn't top level like an Aura.

Jeanlee

Rinkside
You are right there are other brands
Some people are bigger jumpers and put more stress on their boots when jumping Each athlete is different regardless whether they are doing the same jumps
Aura Edea Jackson and so many more brands are good and it depends on what you are doing and weight is a factor as well
I like the fact that some of the technical reps for skate companies were former High end skaters and they know from experience and technical boot training what works for different athletes

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You are right there are other brands
Some people are bigger jumpers and put more stress on their boots when jumping Each athlete is different regardless whether they are doing the same jumps
Aura Edea Jackson and so many more brands are good and it depends on what you are doing and weight is a factor as well
I like the fact that some of the technical reps for skate companies were former High end skaters and they know from experience and technical boot training what works for different athletes
As I know, as many refer to me for advice here when it comes to equipment etc. I'm a former competitive elite singles skater (who had huge jumps) and ice dancer. Also, current pro. I do my best around here to help people who don't know as much on the sport, are beginners and to make sure no one gets injured in this wonderful sport of ours.:slink:

Jeanlee

Rinkside
As I know, as many refer to me for advice here when it comes to equipment etc. I'm a former competitive elite singles skater (who had huge jumps) and ice dancer. Also, current pro. I do my best around here to help people who don't know as much on the sport, are beginners and to make sure no one gets injured in this wonderful sport of ours.:slink:
Cool nice to know I see you offer great advice
Figure Skating is just so expensive lessons, ice, equipment costumes I am not ninvolv D much in skating as my athletes are long retired but I keep up with h some of the athletes who are currently competing
I love P2 and retired Kaetlyn Osmond I use to regularly watch K O when she trained She is an awesome person

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Happens all the time. It's just how feet work.
I use shims fairly regularly. They help my blade align correctly. Moisture does not flatten modern day shims.