Should the ‘Games’ be canceled? | Golden Skate

Should the ‘Games’ be canceled?

lilshorty

On the Ice
Should the games be canceled due to the seriousness of COVID? Many top skaters had to pull out of competitions due to it. What are your thoughts?

lilshorty

On the Ice
Yes, but they won't be because Nationals weren't canceled either.

They did it for the 2020 Tokyo summer Games and held them the following year. I applaud how the situation was handled and think the Games should be held the next year as well.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They did it for the 2020 Tokyo summer Games and held them the following year. I applaud how the situation was handled and think the Games should be held the next year as well.
I believe China will go for it as COVID isn't letting up. The unvacinated will remain unvacinated. People will continue to not wear masks. The CDC has reduced recommended quarantine.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Russians may think the only reason to cancel the OWG is to deny them having Ladies sweep.
[Or winning ice-hockey again (less likely)]

Next year, Trusova and Scherbakova, Tuktamisheva and Kostornaya will not be available. Valieva questionable. Who knows...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The games will go on accordingly to many experts involved in the IOC, or politics etc.

However, many coaches and athletes are worried the games will crown not the best athletes necessarily but the ones who managed the best to escape the virus.

Some are worried about test falsification or arbitrary exclusions for those who may have had the disease but still test positive (some can test positive weeks after their contagious period)... Some federations have demanded that a quantitative way to measure traces of the virus in the system are established to make it fair for athletes. Some are afraid about test manipulations.

Pretty much : it's a big mess but it will go on.

Imagine

Medalist
Yes, but they won't be because Nationals weren't canceled either.
I believe China will go for it as COVID isn't letting up. The unvacinated will remain unvacinated. People will continue to not wear masks. The CDC has reduced recommended quarantine.

I'm not sure why you think the US Figure Skating Nationals or the CDC have any bearing on the Olympics. I mean, they probably won't be cancelled, but that still has nothing to do with USFS or the CDC. Doesn't the IOC actually hold the authority to cancel the Olympics, and not China? Or was that a one-off thing for Tokyo? Anyway, even if that's the case, I doubt they would take that step because they are a bunch of spineless hacks. I'm sure it's an ego trip for China too, but they probably don't care that much either way. A cancelled Games isn't going to hurt them that much economically, and a successful Games isn't going to solve any of its issues. China is highly problematic for a multitude of reasons, but the casualities caused by this Olympics shouldn't fall on their shoulders alone. The IOC, NBC, and their insatiable greed should recieve much of the blame as well.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure why you think the US Figure Skating Nationals or the CDC have any bearing on the Olympics. I mean, they probably won't be cancelled, but that still has nothing to do with USFS or the CDC. Doesn't the IOC actually hold the authority to cancel the Olympics, and not China? Or was that a one-off thing for Tokyo? Anyway, even if that's the case, I doubt they would take that step because they are a bunch of spineless hacks. I'm sure it's an ego trip for China too, but they probably don't care that much either way. A cancelled Games isn't going to hurt them that much economically, and a successful Games isn't going to solve any of its issues. China is highly problematic for a multitude of reasons, but the casualities caused by this Olympics shouldn't fall on their shoulders alone. The IOC, NBC, and their insatiable greed should recieve much of the blame as well.
Both China and the IOC can choose to cancel the Olympics.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It does because it is an example of the general attitude in some countries, which leads to the spread of the virus that has everything to do with the how the Olympics are being held. If China can hold a proper bubble games, why not? They wouldn't do any worse that Tokyo. If they want to keep their options open for more Olympics in the coming decades, it's easier to just hold this one now.

Imagine

Medalist
It does because it is an example of the general attitude in some countries, which leads to the spread of the virus that has everything to do with the how the Olympics are being held.
Nope. The "general attitude" you are referring to is that of countries who have chosen to let the virus burn through the remaining population of vaccination holdouts. One way or another, they will reach high levels of immunity on the other side through infection (and much death) or vaccination. This option is off the table for China because they don't exactly subscribe to the whole "give me freedom, or give me death" thing. If the situation with the virus were to get truly out of hand, it could lead to unrest, and that's definitely something they don't need more of right now. That's why they're so twitchy when it comes to any small number of infections at all. Also their vaccines are clearly ineffective, and the potential for casualties is much greater. They would not be clinging to their laughable "zero" (lol) infections policity otherwise. Like I said, they'll still hold the Olympics because ego tells them to, but that doesn't mean there won't be real consequences—regardless of whether or not the rest of the world is made aware of them.
If China can hold a proper bubble games, why not? They wouldn't do any worse that Tokyo.
Don't underestimate their capacity for incompetence.
If they want to keep their options open for more Olympics in the coming decades, it's easier to just hold this one now.
Like I said, China could care less about the Olympics. They only got these Olympics because there were no other viable contenders. That will be the case moving forward, as fewer countries even want to bid for the Olympics due to the astronomical costs and all of the corruption. Not sure how choosing to move forward with these doomed Games against all reason would make it easier for them to host in the future. They could bid for the next 3 Olympics and probably win all of them regardless of 2022. They have the money to do it (for now). I just don't see what's in it for them. 2022 has done them no favors so far, and has only drawn more attention to all of their problems.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nope. The "general attitude" you are referring to is that of countries who have chosen to let the virus burn through the remaining population of vaccination holdouts. One way or another, they will reach high levels of immunity on the other side through infection (and much death) or vaccination. This option is off the table for China because they don't exactly subscribe to the whole "give me freedom, or give me death" thing. If the situation with the virus were to get truly out of hand, it could lead to unrest, and that's definitely something they don't need more of right now. That's why they're so twitchy when it comes to any small number of infections at all. Also their vaccines are clearly ineffective, and the potential for casualties is much greater. They would not be clinging to their laughable "zero" (lol) infections policity otherwise. Like I said, they'll still hold the Olympics because ego tells them to, but that doesn't mean there won't be real consequences—regardless of whether or not the rest of the world is made aware of them.

Don't underestimate their capacity for incompetence.

Like I said, China could care less about the Olympics. They only got these Olympics because there were no other viable contenders. That will be the case moving forward, as fewer countries even want to bid for the Olympics due to the astronomical costs and all of the corruption. Not sure how choosing to move forward with these doomed Games against all reason would make it easier for them to host in the future. They could bid for the next 3 Olympics and probably win all of them regardless of 2022. They have the money to do it (for now). I just don't see what's in it for them. 2022 has done them no favors so far, and has only drawn more attention to all of their problems.
When I heard about someone questioning their manliness when wearing a mask, I knew it was hopeless to expect everyone to wear masks and get the vaccines for the common good and immunocompromised.

Zero COVID policy reduces infections and slows mutation. What else is there to say?

Making the Olympic Committee happy makes it easier to hold another one.

Okay, convince every country with or without the ability to pay get to Moderna, so we may return to pre-pandemic life.
We should also stop holding the Olympics.

Flag_of_the_United_States.svg

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The olympics may run but it will be "canceled" for many... as a matter of fact, it is already canceled for some CBC employees.
Here is the story (in French about it).

In this article, it shows that the Chinese government is testing to a much higher level, which makes them highly unreliable. (I leave the numbers and science out, you can read it in the article). What happens is that it may produce a lot of false positive tests. Tests are also coming back negative, then positive, then negative etc... What is the result of this :

Employes from media, like athletes, have to produce 5 negative tests for entry in China. The CBC employees in this story had covid in December but provided 5 negative tests taken in Canada. Once arrived in China, they tested positive, then negative, then positive etc...

They were isolated in an abandoned hotel!!! (After the IOC's pressure, that confinement site has been closed and 'positive' people are now confined elsewhere). With this situation, CBC has decided not to send any longer anyone one who may have had Covid recently because they will need to "win the test lottery" to be able to join the Olympic bubble.

This puts at risk the US and Canadian women hockey teams who had lots of players with covid in Decemeber. It also compromises many USA and Canadian bobsleigh athletes. Michaella Shiffrin, James and Radford, Kierim and Fraser... etc are all at risk of never joining that Olympic bubble with the way the Chinese government are testing...

So the games may run but for many athletes, though there are only dead traces of the virus in their system, they will not be able to compete.

Ziotic

Medalist
Plus I truly wonder who the oversight committee for these tests are also: we know some country’s love to forge results.

pearly

Record Breaker
It starts next week and I'm excited! I've even grown to appreciate the team event, which, as imperfect as it is, is just more figure skating and gives us skating to watch almost every day.