Singles skater program(s) with final element NOT a spin? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Singles skater program(s) with final element NOT a spin?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Has no one ever finished with a spiral sequence?
:oops: I'm shocked you don't know this one! Mao Asada ended with a Spiral for her 2011-2012 LP and also with her 2013-2014 LP, although that one was a shorter and part of the "choreography sequence".

Miyahara's "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" is stunning and her best program ever, btw. Always nice to see a call out of it. Miki Ando also, her 2006 Olympic SP.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
:oops: I'm shocked you don't know this one! Mao Asada ended with a Spiral for her 2011-2012 LP and also with her 2013-2014 LP, although that one was a shorter and part of the "choreography sequence".

Miyahara's "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" is stunning and her best program ever, btw. Always nice to see a call out of it. Miki Ando also, her 2006 Olympic SP.
I said a spiral sequence, the mandatory element that was in pre-2011 programs. Not a spiral as part of choreo. The spiral sequence was usually in the middle of the program.
Of course i knew these ones.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I said a spiral sequence, the mandatory element that was in pre-2011 programs. Not a spiral as part of choreo. The spiral sequence was usually in the middle of the program.
Of course i knew these ones.
To be fair 2010-2012 was a mandatory “choreo spiral sequence” that just didn’t have level requirements.

Also because I remembered this for another thread, a great example of an ending spiral is this one from Sandy Lenz: https://youtu.be/UTSLta1p0jg?t=228

zach6794

Spectator
Ashley Wagner sp 2016-2017 ended in a step sequence

tonya Harding 1992 sp ended with a double axel; I thank Nancy Kerrigan fs in 1992 may end with a spiral but don’t recall.

Shoma uno sp 2019-2020 ends in step sequence perfection

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands

gkelly

Record Breaker
Also because I remembered this for another thread, a great example of an ending spiral is this one from Sandy Lenz: https://youtu.be/UTSLta1p0jg?t=228
Good find!

Hard to tell with that camera work, but it looks like she holds it long enough to demonstrate how this move got the name of "spiral."
I thank Nancy Kerrigan fs in 1992 may end with a spiral but don’t recall.
Yes, Kerrigan did the same kind of thing, and you can see the spiralling-in in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJDN3lUwJn8&t=4m14s

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not exactly on-topic, I know... well, off topic to be honest... but the idea of starting or ending a program with something out of the ordinary is the main point you're making. So, that said...

This year Hawayek and Baker begin their free dance with the one foot step sequence.

It's so unusual, and it makes for a stunning opening when done as well as they do it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not exactly on-topic, I know... well, off topic to be honest... but the idea of starting or ending a program with something out of the ordinary is the main point you're making. So, that said...

This year Hawayek and Baker begin their free dance with the one foot step sequence.

It's so unusual, and it makes for a stunning opening when done as well as they do it.

Adding another example:

Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik began with their one-foot step sequence in their breakthrough 2018-19 "Demons" free dance.​
(They won a small bronze medal at 2019 Junior Worlds with this program, although the video below is mislabeled as 2018.​
Ted Barton starts introducing them at approx. 9:29.)​

Weathergal

Medalist

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Floskate recently uploaded this program:
Yuri Ovchinnikov - 1976 European Figure Skating Championships FS

1976 always reminds me of John Curry:
John Curry 1976 Innsbruck Olympics LP

John Curry 1974 Europeans Exhibition

Well, once you start thinking of and looking at older programs, you start remembering more:
Jill Trenary 1996 Ice Wars AP

Jeffrey Buttle 2001 NHK Trophy Short Program "The Last Emperor"

Alexander Abt - 2002 Worlds SP

Last edited: