Skate advice | Golden Skate

Skate advice

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
Hi everyone! I’m elara and I’m a 14 year old skater. I’m currently wearing Jackson debuts that I got 5 months ago. I’ve been having some issues with the debuts though. The skates don’t exactly feel snug especially on the sides. The boot in general feels lose, but when I tried a width down it felt too tight in a lot of areas. I’ve been considering getting the boots squeezed in but now I’m wondering if that will even help. I’m considering now trying on a different brand like riedell. My heels are a size “A” in jackson and my debuts have a “B” ball but I think I could go down a size. My feet also do pronate more than average id think. Do you think riedells would be worth trying on? Or should I just get my Jackson debuts squeezed in? I do plan on seeing my fitter very soon I just want some knowledge before hand so I can kind of know what to bring up to him. Thank you!
-elara

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone! I’m elara and I’m a 14 year old skater. I’m currently wearing Jackson debuts that I got 5 months ago. I’ve been having some issues with the debuts though. The skates don’t exactly feel snug especially on the sides. The boot in general feels lose, but when I tried a width down it felt too tight in a lot of areas. I’ve been considering getting the boots squeezed in but now I’m wondering if that will even help. I’m considering now trying on a different brand like riedell. My heels are a size “A” in jackson and my debuts have a “B” ball but I think I could go down a size. My feet also do pronate more than average id think. Do you think riedells would be worth trying on? Or should I just get my Jackson debuts squeezed in? I do plan on seeing my fitter very soon I just want some knowledge before hand so I can kind of know what to bring up to him. Thank you!
-elara
Hi and welcome! :)

What do you mean by "squeeze in" your boots? This isn't exactly a technique used on figure skate boots b/c it will damage them. You need to get a good fitter who knows what they are doing with figure skates, properly measure you and then go to those brands that work for your foot.
If you like Jackson boots, you could get a semi custom order of a boot that has an A toebox and A heel.
As far as pronation and more than likely needing an orthotic for your boots, IDK if I'd do that with sizing down on widths. You'd have to consult a podiatrist and one that knows how to fit orthotics for figure skaters and their boots.

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
Hi and welcome! :)

What do you mean by "squeeze in" your boots? This isn't exactly a technique used on figure skate boots b/c it will damage them. You need to get a good fitter who knows what they are doing with figure skates, properly measure you and then go to those brands that work for your foot.
If you like Jackson boots, you could get a semi custom order of a boot that has an A toebox and A heel.
As far as pronation and more than likely needing an orthotic for your boots, IDK if I'd do that with sizing down on widths. You'd have to consult a podiatrist and one that knows how to fit orthotics for figure skaters and their boots.
Hi! I did some research and heard that it could be possible that they could heat the boots and make them smaller but hey I guess you can’t trust everything you see on the internet! Thank you so much for the reply now I’m more informed. I don’t know if I want to stick with Jackson because this is my second pair of Jackson’s and I’m not finding them too comfortable. I’m used to pushing through pain and I skate through it but my arches cramp up a lot when I skate and I feel like my foot isn’t very secure. Do you have any particular opinions on riedell? I know I can’t just pick a brand off the internet and I am going to find a fitter very soon I just want to tell him as much information as I can! I have only been skating for 1 year so I don’t have that much knowledge. If this is any help I’m about to start working on axels. I really appreciate your reply! Thanks!!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I did some research and heard that it could be possible that they could heat the boots and make them smaller but hey I guess you can’t trust everything you see on the internet! Thank you so much for the reply now I’m more informed. I don’t know if I want to stick with Jackson because this is my second pair of Jackson’s and I’m not finding them too comfortable. I’m used to pushing through pain and I skate through it but my arches cramp up a lot when I skate and I feel like my foot isn’t very secure. Do you have any particular opinions on riedell? I know I can’t just pick a brand off the internet and I am going to find a fitter very soon I just want to tell him as much information as I can! I have only been skating for 1 year so I don’t have that much knowledge. If this is any help I’m about to start working on axels. I really appreciate your reply! Thanks!!!!
do you have regular, flat or high arches?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They aren’t completely flat, but they are very low and almost flat
That could be one of your issues causing the pain in your skates, I don't think it's because they're Jackson either because I had fellow competitors/friends with completely flat arches and they skated in jackson for years.

You're going to definitely need to go to a podiatrist to help with the pronation and low arches and orthotics for whatever boots you end up with.

If you have narrow feet, Riedell would be top choice, but if you fit jackson, you may want to look into Graf or Risport as well.

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
That could be one of your issues causing the pain in your skates, I don't think it's because they're Jackson either because I had fellow competitors/friends with completely flat arches and they skated in jackson for years.

You're going to definitely need to go to a podiatrist to help with the pronation and low arches and orthotics for whatever boots you end up with.

If you have narrow feet, Riedell would be top choice, but if you fit jackson, you may want to look into Graf or Risport as well.
Ok thank you so much!! I’m going to try on different brands soon and see how they feel

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ok thank you so much!! I’m going to try on different brands soon and see how they feel
If you need suggestions for styles you can inbox me. I'll get to it as soon as possible (Christmas here).