Skate Austria | Golden Skate

Skate Austria

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Am I missing something? I finally had some time tonight to watch Skate Austria and they took down the ladies short and the final two flights of ladies free due to "Policy Reasons" Say what?
They couldnt keep them for 3 days?????
On top of that , Austria is going into partial lockdown.

I guess next time I have to watch the morning after. Or not.
The beatings will continue until moral improves.

Image if you will, a sport that hates its fans so much that it cant keep post it note vids up for more than three days....
a rod serling.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Chris, I wouldn't put the blame on the organisers, or the streamer. They have no power over what videos get zapped. The record companies do it automatically when they detect one of their songs. And I am sure they are as frustrated as us when the streams get zapped.

No, I put the blame squarely with the ISU.

The ISU haven't a clue. They sell the broadcasting rights of their own events to companies who don't bother to put them onto their linear TV channels, but instead put them onto their subscription online streaming services. Thus, a large proportion of potential viewers are locked out.

The smaller events are able to provide their own free streams, but those that use the most user-friendly streaming website are prone to getting their streams zapped by the record companies. And those that use other streaming websites to lessen the chance of their streams getting zapped are prone to users getting so frustrated with the limitations of the website that they just turn off.

As I said in the Outdated Trends thread over in The Edge, this chaotic situation all goes back to the ISU's decision to allow vocals. Because a lot of skaters are now just using songs intact, and that is generating a big "I AM HERE" sign to the algorithms that the record companies use to find copyright infringements. And one song can potentially lead to a video of an entire day of skating getting blocked.

Back in the days when it was just instrumentals, it was very rare that skating videos got zapped. Now, it has got to the stage that we expect the videos to get zapped. We have to watch things while the stream is still broadcasting, because there is no guarantee that the stream will still be there a few hours after it has finished.

That is no way to grow the fan base of the sport. If people can't see the sport, how is it supposed to get new fans?! Or maintain existing fans?

If we want to grow the sport, we need the ISU to really think before they act. And although no organisation likes to admit that they made a mistake, we need the ISU to recognise the impact that allowing vocals has had, and to reverse that decision. Because it is killing the sport. And if they don't act soon, the fan base will be gone.

CaroLiza_fan

alexocfp

Medalist
Country
United-States
Chris, I wouldn't put the blame on the organisers, or the streamer. They have no power over what videos get zapped. The record companies do it automatically when they detect one of their songs. And I am sure they are as frustrated as us when the streams get zapped.

No, I put the blame squarely with the ISU.

The ISU haven't a clue. They sell the broadcasting rights of their own events to companies who don't bother to put them onto their linear TV channels, but instead put them onto their subscription online streaming services. Thus, a large proportion of potential viewers are locked out.

The smaller events are able to provide their own free streams, but those that use the most user-friendly streaming website are prone to getting their streams zapped by the record companies. And those that use other streaming websites to lessen the chance of their streams getting zapped are prone to users getting so frustrated with the limitations of the website that they just turn off.

As I said in the Outdated Trends thread over in The Edge, this chaotic situation all goes back to the ISU's decision to allow vocals. Because a lot of skaters are now just using songs intact, and that is generating a big "I AM HERE" sign to the algorithms that the record companies use to find copyright infringements. And one song can potentially lead to a video of an entire day of skating getting blocked.

Back in the days when it was just instrumentals, it was very rare that skating videos got zapped. Now, it has got to the stage that we expect the videos to get zapped. We have to watch things while the stream is still broadcasting, because there is no guarantee that the stream will still be there a few hours after it has finished.

That is no way to grow the fan base of the sport. If people can't see the sport, how is it supposed to get new fans?! Or maintain existing fans?

If we want to grow the sport, we need the ISU to really think before they act. And although no organisation likes to admit that they made a mistake, we need the ISU to recognise the impact that allowing vocals has had, and to reverse that decision. Because it is killing the sport. And if they don't act soon, the fan base will be gone.

CaroLiza_fan
Where do I sign the petition to get you to run the ISU? I have no doubt you would do a better job.

The vocals aren’t the problem, the ISU not thinking ahead regarding clearances and licensing is the problem. The videos don‘t get taken down on Channel One‘s or Peacock‘s channels. So it can be done successfully.

FIS, the skiing body, finally realized they need to centralize the rights because 2 days before the alpine world season, us Americans had no idea if or where the events were going to be shown.

Forget about growing the sport, you can‘t keep your loyal audience if they don’t even know the simplest things like where to watch the events. If they can’t watch live they don’t have on demand options because streams get blocked.

Sometimes you can‘t even watch live even after you jumped through flaming hoops, since live YouTube streams have been blocked for music issues. It’s beyond ridiculous at this point, it’s farcical.

It‘s 2021, you need to streamline the process.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The odd thing is the zapping of the last 2 ladies flights at Austria. And the cryptic message at the end of all the previous flights. (these were zapped for policy reasons) Why just the last two if vocals and songs are an issue? Doesnt sound like You tube zapped anything.
I am no expert on rights but I have heard over the ear bug at major events that the organizing body does pay for songs. If a skater uses a song at US Nats, the way I interpret that is that the USFS pays a fee to a company who controls that song. anyone have any direct knowledge of anything different? I have no idea if NBC or Peacock pay a fee to broadcast that skate or if any other entitiy that carrys it does.