Skate Canada Announces 2020-21 National Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Announces 2020-21 National Team

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm a bit late and of course it's no surprise based on results, but based on how the federation has invested in him previously, I'm surprised to see Stephen Gogolev off the team completely. Is there a reserve team or is he staying in juniors? Always seemed a little ridiculous to make him go into seniors full time at 15.
Gogolev was only on the national team last year because he had made the senior national podium for 2019; international juniors aren't normally on the national team otherwise. Since he didn't compete at 2020 nationals (and had a rough season, overall), I don't think it says much of anything that he's not on the national team this year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm a bit late and of course it's no surprise based on results, but based on how the federation has invested in him previously, I'm surprised to see Stephen Gogolev off the team completely. Is there a reserve team or is he staying in juniors? Always seemed a little ridiculous to make him go into seniors full time at 15.
I was going to ask about Stephen, I was looking forward to seeing this bright, young phenom. Any news?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I was going to ask about Stephen, I was looking forward to seeing this bright, young phenom. Any news?
On his fan blog, he has been seen in the back of some Raf training videos. He looks to have grown taller and more muscular. That's all I think we know for now. Sort of sad how he was hyped up so much at 13 and then forgotten at the face of growth spurt and injury. To me he still seemed injured at junior worlds, hope he's fine now.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wouldn’t say he was “forgotten”; he didn’t get to compete a ton last year, and (sensibly) he has a tiny social media footprint, so he has a low profile for the moment.

He’s making his senior international debut at SkAm, we’ve just learned.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
That was exactly what I thought. No surprises... with the caveat that I know nothing of synchro.

I don't like to "retire" an athlete before they say it, but Gabby has to show me something to maintain my interest, and apparently Skate Canada feels the same way. It seems AGES ago, but it is really only a few years since she was a World medalist. I think she can still be relevant, but she's got to decide.
Actually, Gabby Daleman is competing for Miss World Canada in November. This may explain her absence. https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/local...o-compete-for-miss-world-canada-title-2586169

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
On his fan blog, he has been seen in the back of some Raf training videos. He looks to have grown taller and more muscular. That's all I think we know for now. Sort of sad how he was hyped up so much at 13 and then forgotten at the face of growth spurt and injury. To me he still seemed injured at junior worlds, hope he's fine now.
Thanks. I hope he will be okay.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Actually, Gabby Daleman is competing for Miss World Canada in November. This may explain her absence. https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/local...o-compete-for-miss-world-canada-title-2586169

But then what confuses me is she is still posting tiktoks and content from the Granite Club, which I imagine is a rather pricy club to train not if you're not actually competing? She also posted on instagram a few days ago a 3Lz (I know one jump in isolation doesn't mean anything), so she is obviously still training her jumps, so I guess I'm a bit confused as to why we're not seeing her competitively - it's not a problem if she doesn't want to, I'll just miss her and think she still had potential.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But then what confuses me is she is still posting tiktoks and content from the Granite Club, which I imagine is a rather pricy club to train not if you're not actually competing? She also posted on instagram a few days ago a 3Lz (I know one jump in isolation doesn't mean anything), so she is obviously still training her jumps, so I guess I'm a bit confused as to why we're not seeing her competitively - it's not a problem if she doesn't want to, I'll just miss her and think she still had potential.
She’s training and still competing, just not at this event.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
After reading this, good to know Gabby is still competing, I really wasnt sure if she was competing this year or not. I knew she didn't retire but I wasnt sure about her competing this year. I love the ice dance depth and I cant wait to see how Zach and Marjorie are going to turn out, to me they are the next Tessa and Scott, they have unlimited potential and I can't get enough of them. I told my bf two years ago to watch this team, they're going to be exceptional. I guess Gabby and Stephen need to earn a spot on the team for the next go around. Are they still getting funding? It used to be top 5 got funding. How did that structure change with the team selections?

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
From what I understand, criteria for funding is separate from being on the national team. The Skate Canada website has more information here. I don't think being on the national team really means much (in a practical sense), of course it does mean more recognition etc.