Skate Canada: Essay questions | Golden Skate

Skate Canada: Essay questions

pearly

Record Breaker
Here are this week's assignments:

1. Which programs should Kostornaia have gone back to and why did you answer Leftovers and Twilight?
2. How useless and out of touch did you find Simon's commentary on the Eurosport and ISU feed?
3. Describe in your own words the path Davis/Smolkin will take to overtake Morozov/Bagin and get selected for the Olympics.

Thank you for your answers and see you again next week!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
out of order:

1. Didn‘t watch the ladies. Although if you want her to go back, then I‘ll agree with you. But also with the next person who says no.:biggrin:

3. Have never seen Davis/Smolkin or Morozov/Bagin skate.

2. If Simon was the annoying and rambling voice during the clip I saw of the men’s victory ceremony, how did anyone listen to that throughout the entire comp? God bless you.

Thank god for Peacock. Worth every penny:pray:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
2. If Simon was the annoying and rambling voice during the clip I saw of the men’s victory ceremony, how did anyone listen to that throughout the entire comp? God bless you.
Alas yes and some of us have choice as the only way to access GP, World's, Euros 4CC skating easily here in Australia is to watch the SBS. I don't want them to stop showing it so... :( It's hard to believe Simon was once one half the beloved British Eurosport Uncles. You've let us down Simon, you've let us down. 😔 Apart from anything else he kept going on about skaters NOT actually skating, which is rude and not useful. I missed Ted and his sunshiney self...

1. No opinion.

3. Keep getting the scores they got this competition I guess? Although I hope that Tiff/Jon and certainly Sasha S/Ivan get to go!

pearly

Record Breaker
Alas yes and some of us have choice as the only way to access GP, World's, Euros 4CC skating easily here in Australia is to watch the SBS. I don't want them to stop showing it so... :( It's hard to believe Simon was once one half the beloved British Eurosport Uncles. You've let us down Simon, you've let us down. 😔 Apart from anything else he kept going on about skaters NOT actually skating, which is rude and not useful. I missed Ted and his sunshiney self...

1. No opinion.

3. Keep getting the scores they got this competition I guess? Although I hope that Tiff/Jon and certainly Sasha S/Ivan get to go!
I saw that Mark Hanratty will be back for several more events. Simon was shockingly bad and uninformed.

viennaskater

Medalist
1. No opinion.

2. I did not find it useless or out-of-touch. I consider Simon to be considerably better than some of the commentators they've had. He has good knowledge and only makes the odd small error. He is better when he is alongside Chris Howarth because Howarth is excellent and they bounce opinions off each other. The likes of Catherine Whitaker and the guy who commented during the Euros at Graz 2020 I can seriously do without. Their knowledge is minimal, they talk too much and have little flair for commentary. So I am happy with Simon.

3. I have no clue but I thought Davis and Smolkin were seriously overmarked for such a mediocre programme at Skate Canada. And we have all had more than enough of 'Tango de Roxanne'.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw that Mark Hanratty will be back for several more events. Simon was shockingly bad and uninformed.
Indeed! Like I don't mind the odd comment during a skate, but he was kinda off topic? And he kept mentioning last place like ending up in it was a deep dark shame. Obviously no skater WANTS to be last, but considering it's a GP, you gotta be pretty good to be at one already at least in Seniors. You don't see someone just starting out with only their singles like in Juniors.

It was just weird?

I was annoyed at Mark H at Skate America, but I think he's much better than Simon! He does have the benefit of being a former skater which I don't think Simon was.