Skate Milwaukee | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Skate Milwaukee

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, to absolutely no one's surprise, Ilia wins. :)

But I'm afraid the boys did not make the selection committee's job easy. Kai, Max, Will and Lucas within four points of each other. Will Eric Prober get a spot?

And I'm still hoping for Jacob :pray:

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Illia managing to backload a clean 4T-eu-3s and a 3A-2T is actually huge. He is definetly ambitious with his layouts. Repeating both 4T and 3A and backloading the combination and also going for 4S,4Lz and backloading a 3Lz-3Lo tho those 3 did not work out for him. He Is really going for that high risk high rewards layouts isn't he. In JPG I see him either taking gold or missing the podium I honestly dont see anything in between for him.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, so Ilia did a 4T-Eu-3S. Impressive. So if everything had went to planned, he would have had that, 3Lz-3Lo, 4S, 4Lz, 4T, and 2 3A's.....mighty nice. And his spins look faster than last year's. So that's good.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But like everything in skating, Ilia needs to land his ambitious content at comps. Now, juniors is the time to experiment, so I am good with him experimenting. But BV is only good if you pull it off. :shrug:

I think his performance and spins have improved where he doesn't need all that to do well. But then again, I'm looking through the lens of a performance and spin lover.:biggrin:

Apple1078

Final Flight
Illia managing to backload a clean 4T-eu-3s and a 3A-2T is actually huge. He is definetly ambitious with his layouts. Repeating both 4T and 3A and backloading the combination and also going for 4S,4Lz and backloading a 3Lz-3Lo tho those 3 did not work out for him. He Is really going for that high risk high rewards layouts isn't he. In JPG I see him either taking gold or missing the podium I honestly dont see anything in between for him.
Same. I wish he'd maybe go for a quad or two less and then build/work on his consistency.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, so Ilia did a 4T-Eu-3S. Impressive. So if everything had went to planned, he would have had that, 3Lz-3Lo, 4S, 4Lz, 4T, and 2 3A's.....mighty nice. And his spins look faster than last year's. So that's good.
They layout is ambitious, but he only delivered three of those seven passes.

I like the aggressive mindset, and it was enough for this competition, but it's obviously going to have to get better than this.

Still, considering the errors, 145+ isn't a complete disgrace.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's up with the "b1" and "b2" notations I'm seeing next to certain jumps in the junior men's cup free protocols? Never seen it before...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I'm back in time for my least favorite discipline on the planet. Oh well.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, a text popped up on the screen saying that the stream would resume at 3:50 when the Junior Ladies Cup starts

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... But I'm afraid the boys did not make the selection committee's job easy. Kai, Max, Will and Lucas within four points of each other. Will Eric Prober get a spot? ...

Plus Martynov (sixth place) is only 0.25 behind Annis (fifth) in Junior Cup final scores.
(BTW, although I do not know whether 2020-21 will count for anything in terms of JGP selection, I think it was quite a good season for Martynov. In junior men's competition, he was fifth at 2021 Nats [barely a point behind Sanchez] + first in ISP Points Challenge + second in U.S. Championship Series [the only qualifier for juniors for Nats].​
I think it would be safe to assume that USFS already had him in mind as a contender for 2021 JGP selection, even if awareness among fans was lower.)​
I too wonder what USFS will do about Prober. :unsure:

Zharkov previously competed in both ice dance and singles at the same time, and I think his ice dance bkgd shows (in a good way :)). I'm thrilled for him that he rotated and landed quad toe, and that he placed second in Junior Cup.

In case Michael Xie's lovely lyrical style has not been mentioned yet in this thread, I will say that I really enjoyed it.
It was great to see his happy smile at the end of his FS.

Hugs to my favorites Sam Mindra and Joe Klein.
My two cents are that I think the POTO music is well-suited for Sam. Look forward to seeing this program grow over the course of the season.
I like Joe's skating regardless of jumps, and I also admire his persistent work on triple axel.

What's up with the "b1" and "b2" notations I'm seeing next to certain jumps in the junior men's cup free protocols? Never seen it before...

Yes, they are part of USFS bonus scoring for non-seniors.