Skate upgrade for adult starting jumps | Golden Skate

Skate upgrade for adult starting jumps

pikomiko

Spectator
Hi! I'm a small adult, 22y, 155cm, 47kg and I'm currently working on my waltz jump and 1 foot spins. I'm have been skating in Jackson Artistes for about a year and a half and haven't had any issues with them, except I feel like they're getting a little soft(?) I'm considering upgrading my skates in the near future and I would like some advice regarding this. Would I be overly ambitious to be considering an upgrade at my current level? If not, which skates should I consider? I pretty much only have access to an Edea supplier right now so I'm guessing either the Overture or the Chorus?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi! I'm a small adult, 22y, 155cm, 47kg and I'm currently working on my waltz jump and 1 foot spins. I'm have been skating in Jackson Artistes for about a year and a half and haven't had any issues with them, except I feel like they're getting a little soft(?) I'm considering upgrading my skates in the near future and I would like some advice regarding this. Would I be overly ambitious to be considering an upgrade at my current level? If not, which skates should I consider? I pretty much only have access to an Edea supplier right now so I'm guessing either the Overture or the Chorus?

Hello!

I think you're ready for an upgrade - if you feel like the boots are getting soft, it probably means that they are. And if you're working on waltz and 1 foot spins now, you'll be working on single jumps and spins out of crossovers soon, which you could use more support for.

Do you have any way to get to a reputable fitter? The reason I ask is that Jacksons and Edeas have a pretty different shape to them, so after skating in Jacksons for so long, you might not like Edeas (I skate in Jacksons and when I tried on Edeas they were really uncomfortable). A fitter can help you determine not only what size to get, but what skate fits your natural foot shape best. Plus, a lot of skates can be customized in terms of fit - they can be heat-molded to fit your foot and ankle better, or punched out in spots where you need more room. A good fitter can take care of all of that for you!

As far as what skates to look at - I'm not very familiar with the Edea lineup, but if you were able to stick with Jacksons, I think either the Elle or the Freestyle would be right for you. They both have better blades than the Artiste, which is a plus. Personally, I'd lean toward the Freestyle, since it's stiffer than the Elle and should get you through some single jumps as well.

Hope this helps!

pikomiko

Spectator
Hello!

I think you're ready for an upgrade - if you feel like the boots are getting soft, it probably means that they are. And if you're working on waltz and 1 foot spins now, you'll be working on single jumps and spins out of crossovers soon, which you could use more support for.

Do you have any way to get to a reputable fitter? The reason I ask is that Jacksons and Edeas have a pretty different shape to them, so after skating in Jacksons for so long, you might not like Edeas (I skate in Jacksons and when I tried on Edeas they were really uncomfortable). A fitter can help you determine not only what size to get, but what skate fits your natural foot shape best. Plus, a lot of skates can be customized in terms of fit - they can be heat-molded to fit your foot and ankle better, or punched out in spots where you need more room. A good fitter can take care of all of that for you!

As far as what skates to look at - I'm not very familiar with the Edea lineup, but if you were able to stick with Jacksons, I think either the Elle or the Freestyle would be right for you. They both have better blades than the Artiste, which is a plus. Personally, I'd lean toward the Freestyle, since it's stiffer than the Elle and should get you through some single jumps as well.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice! I’ve just contacted some fitters in my area!

Ic3Rabbit

Patineuse élite et professionnelle
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you are used to and still okay with wearing Jackson boots, look at the Debut Fusion. Pair with an intermediate blade: Either the MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck! :)