Skaters Who Competed at Olympics Before Worlds | Golden Skate

Skaters Who Competed at Olympics Before Worlds

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I was watching Kaori Sakamoto's FS from DOI when I randomly recalled that she made her Olympics debut in 2018 and her worlds debut in 2019. Are there any other skaters who competed at the Olympics before competing at their first Worlds? (I recall Mirai Nagasu did this too, but anyone else?)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Alina Zagitova, Junhwan Cha and I believe Alexia Paganini as well.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canada had one entry in each discipline at the 2014 Olympics who had never been to worlds:

Gabby Daleman
Liam Firus
Paige Lawrence/Rudy Sweigers
Alexandra Paul/Mitch Islam

Also, Liam Firus went to the Olympics and never went to Worlds.

I was curious about who went to Worlds for Canada in 2013. Andre Rogazine went to W13 instead of Liam Firus and Gilles/Poirier went to W13 instead of Paul/Islam. The other "newbies" were due to additional spots (one more spot in ladies and pairs at O14 than at W13).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown and Polina Edmunds for the US in 2014.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki, at 24yo, during her breakthrough season. Poor Yukari Nakano finished 0,17 points behind her at nats and away of 2nd place and olympic spot. Though fed could have also ditched her for Akiko (she got ditched twice for Miki Ando) who got luckier in GP series and got better results.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Tatsuki Machida. He competed at Worlds only once in 2014 after Sochi, in which he won Silver.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Akiko Suzuki, at 24yo, during her breakthrough season. Poor Yukari Nakano finished 0,17 points behind her at nats and away of 2nd place and olympic spot. Though fed could have also ditched her for Akiko (she got ditched twice for Miki Ando) who got luckier in GP series and got better results.

Do you mean "ditched her for Yukari"?

The fed tried really hard to send Yukari to Vancouver, though because they were heavily criticized for sacrificing her to send Miki to Turin. Mr. Nagakubo (Akiko's coach) thought Akiko was going to lose when he saw the judge panel at Nats.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Do you mean "ditched her for Yukari"?

The fed tried really hard to send Yukari to Vancouver, though because they were heavily criticized for sacrificing her to send Miki to Turin. Mr. Nagakubo (Akiko's coach) thought Akiko was going to lose when he saw the judge panel at Nats.

I mean fed probably still wouldn't have sent Yukari to olympics if Yukari had finished in 2nd place instead of Akiko, with 0,17 points between them. Akiko got better results in GPs. One gold, a 5th place and 3rd place at GPF while Yukari got a 3rd and 4th place and didn't get in GPF.

How did fed try to send Yukari to olympics?

mikeko666

Final Flight
I mean fed probably still wouldn't have sent Yukari to olympics if Yukari had finished in 2nd place instead of Akiko, with 0,17 points between them. Akiko got better results in GPs. One gold, a 5th place and 3rd place at GPF while Yukari got a 3rd and 4th place and didn't get in GPF.

How did fed try to send Yukari to olympics?

I'm sure the fed would have sent Yukari to Vancouver if she had finished 2nd over Akiko. The selection criteria for the 3rd spot are always ambiguous, so the fed can choose a skater they want.

Many agreed to the placement at Nats, but not to the scoring. If an international judge panel had scored their performances, the gap would have been much larger than 0.17.

The original article of Mr. Nagakubo's interview is no longer available online, but you can read a copy here.

長久保「でも、全日本は苦しかった。ジャッジ席のメンバーを見た時点で、『あ、これは明子が負けるわ』と思ったからね」

MintGreen

On the Ice
I think there are plenty. For example, out of the recent ISU 2017 junior men, quite a few skaters went to the Olympics before worlds:

Vincent Zhou
Dmitri Aliev
Daniel Samohin

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Many of these examples are skaters who were in their first Senior year during the Olympic year. I find the examples of skaters who have been around (senior) for a while and made a breakthrough in the Olympic year more interesting.

Of the 6 Canadain examples given, only Gabby Daleman was in her first senior year (in fact she competed in the JGP in 2013-14). Liam Firus was in his second senior year. All the rest had been around for quite a few years and managed to step up to get an Olympic spot.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Miriam Ziegler went to the 2010 Olympics as a singles skater, having never been to Worlds.
She then went to the 2014 Olympics as a pairs skater, still never having been to Worlds. She finally got to attend Worlds in 2014.

If Alyssa Liu makes the Olympic team in 2022 she will be in this situation. I think Kamila Valieva, too.

Sabine

On the Ice
German pair skater Annika Hocke went to the Olympics before Worlds, she made her Junior Worlds debut after the Olympics and Worlds.