Skates for Outdoors

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello wonderful and helpful people of this forum. I seek again your wisdom.

I have limited indoor ice time and would really want to practice outdoors. But im worried that my current skates will get dull easily and be damaged. I got old Jackson skates but my problem is they’re a full size bigger than my new Risport skates and the blade size is almost an inch longer (10.33 mark iv vs 9.50 cor ace lite)

Will training in my old skates change anything? Ruin my technique?

Currently working on waltz jumps, spiralling entry to a spin, 3-turns, beginning dances.

Thanks in advance.

Ic3Rabbit

Le professionnel d'élite
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hello wonderful and helpful people of this forum. I seek again your wisdom.

I have limited indoor ice time and would really want to practice outdoors. But im worried that my current skates will get dull easily and be damaged. I got old Jackson skates but my problem is they’re a full size bigger than my new Risport skates and the blade size is almost an inch longer (10.33 mark iv vs 9.50 cor ace lite)

Will training in my old skates change anything? Ruin my technique?

Currently working on waltz jumps, spiralling entry to a spin, 3-turns, beginning dances.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't be skating on the new skates outdoors, that's for sure. Also, I wouldn't try to use the old skates that don't fit properly and have the longer blade for outdoors.

My only suggestions for you is to either get a spare set of boots and blades for you to use outdoors or just the boots and have them fitted with snow whites or pics for outside.

Good luck!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My skater is NOT allowed to take the expensive boots/blades outdoors. We have traditionally sourced a pair of used skates from the local fitter and used those for outdoors. Depending on where you are, you can often get a decent set of used skates for a reasonable price. We usually spend $60 to $100 on such a pair and then we can "trade in" next year, so net we are never out more than $50. You want them to fit properly, but you'll likely only be "leisure skating" in them, so no need to worry about advanced features. Most of the outdoor rinks around here ban you from doing any figure skating anyway.