Skates on a plane & Skating on natural ice

anonymoose_au

Making rhinestone vest and tie combos cool
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, I agree with everyone else, better to check them in. I got a bit of a scare when I tried to take my skates on a cruise (Royal Caribbean has ships with ice rinks on them!) as carry-on because I misunderstood their instructions. Security pulled me over and I thought I was going to have to leave them behind! Fortunately they just put them in the ship's onboard security area and I picked them up later on. But they wouldn't do that for planes.

I too keep hearing Samuel L Jackson whenever I read the heading of this! :laugh: Although you really wouldn't want skates in the overhead bins now that I think about it...imagine if there was serious turberlance!

Sam L

Medalist
I just have to say this, but every time this thread gets bumped up towards the top, I read it as "Snakes on a Plane", as in the Samuel L. Jackson movie.

You are so right:

"I've had it with these m*********ing skates on this m*********ing plane!" :laugh2:

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, better to check them in. I got a bit of a scare when I tried to take my skates on a cruise (Royal Caribbean has ships with ice rinks on them!) as carry-on because I misunderstood their instructions. Security pulled me over and I thought I was going to have to leave them behind! Fortunately they just put them in the ship's onboard security area and I picked them up later on. But they wouldn't do that for planes.

I too keep hearing Samuel L Jackson whenever I read the heading of this! :laugh: Although you really wouldn't want skates in the overhead bins now that I think about it...imagine if there was serious turberlance!

I changed the title now lol I will just luggage them wherever I go.

So next trip looks likely to be Canada possibly Feb/Mar. Is there a possibility that I can skate on natural ice during this time? If so, where are some good locations in Canada? Canada looks like a dream place for frozen lake skating.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Honestly it's so much better to have skates checked in as a rule. Anything that can be used as a weapon, will inevitably used as a weapon in this day and age.

Europe is sensible on having it as hold luggage only

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, since this thread is from 2017 and so is my first reply, I have to add a caution due to a really nasty experience in 2018.
I took a trip within the USA and on my return trip home I got the TSA agent from h*ll. Don't want to relive the details about her hasseling me about my carry-on skates but it got bad and her supervisor was of no help.

If you're flying within the USA, it is OK to take skates on the plane but print this out and keep it with you:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/skates

In 2019 I traveled again with my skates as carry-on and had no problems.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Well, since this thread is from 2017 and so is my first reply, I have to add a caution due to a really nasty experience in 2018.
I took a trip within the USA and on my return trip home I got the TSA agent from h*ll. Don't want to relive the details about her hasseling me about my carry-on skates but it got bad and her supervisor was of no help.

If you're flying within the USA, it is OK to take skates on the plane but print this out and keep it with you:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/skates

In 2019 I traveled again with my skates as carry-on and had no problems.
Ditto. In the US it ALL depends on the TSA agent you get. Austin was the worst, pulled my 11 year old aside and ripped through her skate suitcase. Still better than flying to a competition and not having your skates arrive. Can't just go down to the Walgreens for a new pair.