Sofia Muravieva | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sofia Muravieva

PavelSky

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Congratulations Sofia!

I like Zinina no less than Muravyova, but I think Sofia is more worthy of the JGPF, for her stability.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
According to an interview Sonya gave after winning Linz, her plans now are to do minor competitions to try out her quad sal. In the JGP they had wisely decided not to go there and emphasise clean skating. I know Zinina is planning Stage 4 of the Russian Cup (unlike Sonya she actually needs Russian Cup events to make Nationals and not just for practice). It would probably be unwise for Sonya to do the same competitions as Nastya. I wonder where Sonya will turn up next, looking forward to seeing her.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good. She can use the Russian Cup events to try this 4S. I’m just so happy she made it to the Junior GP Finals. She will need this quad to make it to the podium.

Tokyo Drift

On the Ice
Country
France
007c95vnly1gue4sbav4ej61830u046w02_x.jpg

007c95vnly1gue4wbw7psj60u010rdn002_x.jpg

Heartbreaking Subtle Watercolor by 石头小慧慧 (Shítou Xiǎo Huì Huì) on WEIBO

🤩

vorravorra

Record Breaker
That 4S was rotated, so congrats! :clap:Not even close to landed yet though. I wonder why it's proving so difficult to fix Sonya's posture and bring her shoulders down. They have ballet teachers at AoP and if little Sofa Sarnovskaya gets individual classes I am sure Sonya does too.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Loved her skate. That was her only error and at least it was fully rotated. 4S, though, is a difficult jump to land, even for Trusova.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Loved her skate. That was her only error and at least it was fully rotated. 4S, though, is a difficult jump to land, even for Trusova.
Trusova seems better at toe jumps. But that's not the case with every skater. I doubt they would concentrate on the salchow if another quad (or 3A) was easier for Sonya.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
The video of her FP.

I really enjoyed it this time; it has grown on me over the season. The choreography is less hurried in feel than the SP, and she is a lovely performer.

Yep, and it's nice to see the extended senior version still works musically! Sometimes that's a problem for skaters doing both junior/senior programmes, but not here.
I really like Mikhailov's choreo. It has a nice flow and room to breathe.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think one reason they pack a lot is simply to get maximum points. Sonya is not a "swan" like, say, Levito, so slow elegant programs won't work for her, but she can pull off a fast-paced program with jumps out of nowhere. I follow AoP's Instagram and that girl is in fantastic physical shape. AoP's students tend to do well in that department, but Sonya beat literally everyone in a cross-country race except for one boy who finished together with her. The previous summer after just coming to the Academy she had serious trouble keeping up, so a lot of sweat and tears must have gone into it. Sonya also has the skating skills for difficult transitions without them slowing her to a crawl. The idea must be to use her strengths to the max, including interpretation and performance, while taking the attention off certain bugs. The judges apparently like the result. Mikhailov seems to be good at that kind of thing, it will be interesting to see how he develops as a choreographer. (Mikhailov actually has a following of his own as a young aspiring coach. People who can't stand Plushenko but like AoP's work simply concentrate on Mikhailov and insist Plushenko barely has anything to do with training.)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I think one reason they pack a lot is simply to get maximum points. Sonya is not a "swan" like, say, Levito, so slow elegant programs won't work for her, but she can pull off a fast-paced program with jumps out of nowhere. I follow AoP's Instagram and that girl is in fantastic physical shape. AoP's students tend to do well in that department, but Sonya beat literally everyone in a cross-country race except for one boy who finished together with her. The previous summer after just coming to the Academy she had serious trouble keeping up, so a lot of sweat and tears must have gone into it. Sonya also has the skating skills for difficult transitions without them slowing her to a crawl. The idea must be to use her strengths to the max, including interpretation and performance, while taking the attention off certain bugs. The judges apparently like the result. Mikhailov seems to be good at that kind of thing, it will be interesting to see how he develops as a choreographer. (Mikhailov actually has a following of his own as a young aspiring coach. People who can't stand Plushenko but like AoP's work simply concentrate on Mikhailov and insist Plushenko barely has anything to do with training.)
Yeah, it was interesting to see her and Samodurova skate head-to-head considering Sofia M is ex-Team Davydov, and seeing the difference in skating skills. I'm not sure about the circumstances that led to her moving to AoP, but I don't think she was considered particularly outstanding among Davydov's skaters. That flow and speed she has now - I think it developed over the past year or so.

I'd say Mikhailov does indeed play an important role in packaging/skating skills, I think he learnt a thing or two from training under Zhuk/Svinin and Rubleva/Shefer (their dance teams always have cool programmes!). But I also lurk on AoP's instagram sometimes and you can see Plushenko involved in multiple aspects of training; to me his most obvious area of influence is jumps/off-ice training (those spinny gadgets from Mishin) but also the way the kids hold their heads up and connect with the audience.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for the explanation. Sofia M. is my favourite female skater. She seems so determined and I love that anger at the end after not hitting her 4S. She is a perfectionist. Her test skate one was similar. It is huge and she rotates it fully, but, isn’t able to land it. At least she rotates it. So, it has potential. My hope is to see her eventually master this jump. When she moves to Seniors, it would be amazing to have this quad jump plus her artistry. So, I’m happy with the result and effort here.